OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help w/CZ 452 american lefty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xoshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help w/CZ 452 american lefty
    Posted: December/25/2008 at 20:36
I am about to get a LH CZ 452 american, Leupold 2-7x 28 scope and was considering either the Conetrol or S & K rings and mounts. I have worked my way through their respective website and emailed them for info with no additional help received from them not that they did not respond. Their websites are to say politely challenging to find the info I need.

Does anyone have a preference for either ring and recommendation on what EXACTLY to order. I need to be specific as I do not think they are familiar with this particular rifle.

Many thanks and Happy Holidays.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 22:15
unless someone else replies, wait till you can contact them directly and you may need to measure precisely the distance between you're base screw holes on the gun .
hope this will at least hold you over till then. good luck!
xoshooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xoshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 22:24
Thanks. I agree. At those prices do not want to make an error. May go with a low cost option until I have the gun and scope together and can take measurements or until someone with the gun I am getting that uses one of these two mounts can make recommendations.

Best...xoshooter
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 23:02

Question. Why get the control rings that will cost almost as much as the scope you are buying, when you could get Burris SS and use the money saved for a lot better glass? I have never understood the why on Control rings, unless you want the high quality finish they have. The ring finish on the Control rings will not match the finish on the CZ. very well. Good luck on your setup and welcome to the OT. It will be good to get more lefty shooters on here.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
xoshooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xoshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 23:15
Yes, the price is an obstacle and the complexity of figuring out what to use. The reason is aesthetic and unless I can find a low profile ring like the conetrol or the s&k it looks like my options are limited to those two. All others are bulkier by comparison...but I do agree, money could be spent on something like glass that would be more functional since there are rings that are very functional and much less expensive though not as eye pleasing. Have considered thw Burris Sig zee and custom as well as warnes 7.3 rings and like you said may go with them and get better glass though how much better I am not sure what is out there as this is a new sport for me. My other gun is a marlin papoose which I have used to get myself back into shooting after 3+ decades of non shooting. Discovered I was actually a better shot lefty and my search started and has taken me to this gun (cz 452 american LH). It needs a scope but all else is still TBD. Many have recommended the Leupold RF 2-7 scope for how I will use it (short indoor range 25 yards, occasion longer OD range, target for fun/plinking and the occasional but rare small game hunt. 

The CZ is sort of my step up to a 'real' gun and not a survival/camping/packable gun like the papoose. I know I can spend a lot more for a gun and accessories but trying to still work within a budget.

Thanks for the welcome and lefties rule! Still fun to watch myself write.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 14:48
If mostly indoor you will need a scope that has Extended focal range. for the close ranges you will have. The Leupold 3-9 EFR with the fine cross would be good but is Pricer. at $369 but it will focus down to 10 Yds. Good luck. I think you will have a fine rig when you complete it.
LEU58710 Leupold 3-9x33 VX-II Rimfire E.F.R. Riflescope                                                                          Leupold 3-9x33 VX-II Rimfire E.F.R. Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Fine Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
SWFA: $369.95

xoshooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xoshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 15:00
Thanks 3_tens. Any suggestions for a less pricey scope? Though I am a photographer by trade when it come to rifle glass I feel sort of clueless when I read some of the information. It is not sinking in yet. Probably like everything else I have to try it instead of read about it to understand. I think I agree having a scope that focuses closer in might be better for some of my range conditions. Looks like this may be a work in progress until I earn a few more benjamins but in this economy I may have to settle for washingtons. As you mentioned it might be more useful to get better glass than better looking rings and trade up when the budget allows.

Thanks.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 15:02
Originally posted by xoshooter xoshooter wrote:

Thanks for the welcome and lefties rule!

Welcome to Optics Talk, fellow lefty!!

Please post pics of your rifle when it's up and running. I'm considering the same rifle.   

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 17:54
I don't have this specific scope but I like the Weavers This is less and has the AO. It gets very good reviews by those that do own it.

849398 Weaver 3-9x32 RV9 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope                                                                           Weaver 3-9x32 RV9 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
SWFA: $199.95
More Info... Buy Now

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 18:12
I would get Talley mounts and never look back. Fine rifles deserve fine mounts. 
xoshooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xoshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 11:07
Got a reply from Conetrol regarding rings. As much as I like the looks the thought of having to file rings that cost almost as much as the scope I am getting to get them to fit does not appeal to me. Just seems strange. Granted many years ago I built bicycles when I was in my teens and early 20's and the most expensive frames had some alignment issues, nothing better than some wood and a dead blow would straighten them out. But that was decades ago. I feel like I want to buy some aluminum block and machine them myself. So the two rings I like the most are also the most expensive but seem to have the most unuser friendly websites and information available. I may lower the bar and save some money. The talleys are nice. I like the verticle design as opposed to most of the others that have a horizontal mechanism. I looked at dednutz but they do not seem to make anything for the cz 452 american.

On the talleys, will I need to get one of the rimfire bases or will they just fit onto the rifle?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 12:44
22CZRL Talley Rimfire Rings                                                                                                    Talley Rimfire Rings
  • Matte
  • Low
  • CZ Rimfire
SWFA: $49.95
More Info... Buy Now

22CZRH Talley Rimfire Rings                                                                                                    Talley Rimfire Rings
  • Matte
  • High
  • CZ Rimfire
SWFA: $49.95
More Info...
Both of these are designed for the CZ. The height depends on the scope you get.

xoshooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xoshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 15:54
Thanks for the link. The scope will be a leupold 2x7 28x. Not being familiar with any of this and from reading only I am guessing the lows will work. Any ideas? Thanks
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 19:14
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by xoshooter xoshooter wrote:

Thanks for the welcome and lefties rule!

Welcome to Optics Talk, fellow lefty!!

Please post pics of your rifle when it's up and running. I'm considering the same rifle.   

Ah YES, another fine addition to the Brotherhood of the Southpaws!!!!

Welcome to the OT xoshooter!!! 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 19:55

With the number of southpaws on this forum, why is it so hard to get decent left side rifles. CNC milling has taken the stock industry yet. so to mirror image a stock should not be so much of a problem. WTF.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic