OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

mark 4 vs sightron S3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike4764 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 21:33
I guess I am just a little biased toward Leupold because I have never been let down by one, but I am open minded and would like to try a Sightron especially for my silhouette rifle. There silhouette scope is very highly regarded and I may buy one in the spring.
mfilippello View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 21:46
If you get a sightron, make sure it is one of the new Model SIII's or at least a big sky. The new models have been completely redone. The model you mentioned is an older SIII. The glass has been changed and they have much more moa now and correct turrets. My 6-24x50 has 1/4 adj. and 15 moa per revolution. They have lines to count revolutions from behind the scope but do not have the direction indicators.

Yes its cool that there are so many nice options. Variety is the spice of life. What would we share if we all had the same thing. It's just like New Years dinner last night at my house. We had some friends over and there was a total of 6 of us. 3 couples. Me Italian, my wife Korean, my friend Swedish, his girl from Peru, My other friend from Canada(poor guy) his girl Chinese. Talk about ecclecticBig Grin And we all get along.

hunterco View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 23:45
is the newer S3 sightron distinguishable by the design? I am looking at an S3 with the newer style, have they been revampped since dropping the side saddle focus turret?

thanks
mfilippello View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 20:54
Originally posted by hunterco hunterco wrote:

is the newer S3 sightron distinguishable by the design? I am looking at an S3 with the newer style, have they been revampped since dropping the side saddle focus turret?

thanks

All of the SIII's have side focus so I'm not sure what your refering to. They feature a fast focus eye piece and have "LR" (long range) in the model number. just go to www.sightron.com and click on the SIII link for pics and specs.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 21:03
Originally posted by hunterco hunterco wrote:

thanks

Not sure what you mean by side saddle focus turret.  They all have side focus.  Visually the new S3s all have a different eyepiece design.

ILya
hunterco View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 21:23
can you tell the newer model just by looking at it? there is an older S3 with a larger side focus that sits  off center, the newer model has the focus directly across from the elevation knob. curious if this is the newer revammped peice
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 21:35
with the new S3 scopes the side-focus is directly across from the windage knob.  With older S3 scopes that varied depending on the model.  There were a couple of different version that I have seen.

The shorter and more rounded eyepiece is definitely new, however.

ILya
hunterco View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 21:44
so looking for an optic,. for a rem 700 308, would you put a 6x24x50 sigtron or 2.5-10 Nikon tactical?

thanks
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 21:48
Two very different configurations that would work best for two very different uses.

If you are looking for long range/target gun, go with the 6-14x50 Sightron.  If this is a hunting rifle, go with the 2.5-10x Nikon.

This is an apples to oranges comparison.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic