OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

mark 4 vs sightron S3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danshae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mark 4 vs sightron S3
    Posted: December/25/2008 at 19:08
which scope would you guys choose for a long range hunting scope?there will be some dialing in with a custom turret.6.5-20x50 mark 4 milldot or sightron S3 30mm 6-24x50 milldot.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 22:10
Whats you're range and what you're game ?all factors to consider.
danshae View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danshae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 22:34

out to 1000 yds on the bench,I do a lot of shooting in the off season for practice.mainly for deer and bear hunting but probably not at 1k im not that comfortable yet although I shot my buck this year at 780 yards with 1 clean shot.but this scope will be going on a new custom i am having built,it will be A 264 win mag on 700 action-hart douglas taper #5-mcmillan htg stock-berger 140's-load undeveloped yet.

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 22:46
That all sounds good, unfortunately I don't do any long range at least beyond 400/500yrds
and the highest power scope I use is a 4x12x40,so I really cant give good advice .today is a slow day for everyone,so if you can be patient, some one will help you tomorrow. you can count on that. /good luck!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 00:18
I think the new Sightron S3 has the edge here. 

ILya
danshae View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danshae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 10:50
what if we throw the conquest 6.5-20x50 into the mix?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 09:08
I'd still go with SIghtron S3, I think.  More adjustment range and the glass is at least as good if not better.

ILya
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 10:47
a 264 will get you maybe 1500 rds of a lotta shootin. compare this with the maybe 30 rds you will shoot hunting makes the leo a clear choice. get the tmr however, much better than mildots. your gun with something like smk or vld 140 will be about 18 moa at 1000 yds. about 2 turns on the leo. haven't used this sightron, but have a great deal of difficulty believing its turret system will hold up as well as the m1s system on the leo. glass is just a small part of a good scope. -- a 1000 yd ar 223 with leo mk4 and leo v3
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 10:53
I think you'd be amazed with how repeatable Sightron S3 turrets are, Dale.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 10:57
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I think you'd be amazed with how repeatable Sightron S3 turrets are, Dale.

ILya

im continually amazed at the size of dales collection!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike4764 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike4764 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 13:36
Go with the Leupold hands down, Its a much better scope in my opinion. Nothing wrong with the Sightron though. Around here the majority of competitive shooters use Leupolds.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 14:39
Originally posted by mike4764 mike4764 wrote:

Go with the Leupold hands down, Its a much better scope in my opinion. Nothing wrong with the Sightron though. Around here the majority of competitive shooters use Leupolds.

Have you seen/used the new Sightron S3?

ILya
mike4764 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike4764 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 17:44
Yes I have used a Sightron. I dont own one but I have borrowed one from a buddy at the range. I do like them but I am more partial to the leupolds. I very much like the m1 knobs and the durability of the Leupolds. Again nothing wrong with the sightrons just my prefrence. The sightron glass is very nice by the way. I am one of thoses people that thinks the Leupold glass is pretty good also. Alot of people say that its just ok but I dissagree. Is it the best no, but pretty good. Also I think everything is overpriced not just Leupold.
By the way the price of VX-III's is so low right now its hard to beat. M1 knobs added are $129 from Leupold.
mike4764 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike4764 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 17:52
Sorry it was a S3 3.5-10x44
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 19:19

Sorry it was a S3 3.5-10x44

When was it made?  Sightron S3 went through a complete redesign about a year ago.

ILya
mike4764 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike4764 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 22:58

Not sure when it was made but I should see the guy that own's it soon.

hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 18:19
The Sightron has better glass and internal components.Leupold has a big following so it has the edge in marketing there scopes over the other brand.
mike4764 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike4764 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 09:07
I completely disagree with that statement as it is unfounded and based on opinion. I believe Leupold makes a fine product. I compete in many different disciplines and 8 out of 10 scopes at any given competition is Leupold, and the most experienced competitors only use the best.
mfilippello View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 14:49
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I'd still go with SIghtron S3, I think.  More adjustment range and the glass is at least as good if not better.

ILya

Second that. I have the New SIII 6-24x50LRMD and love it. Thanks Koshkin for the advice.

Pluses of SIII
- Great Glass
- rock solid tracking
- fully coated optics
- 100moa
- Lifetime no questions warranty
- no back lash issues with Side focus
- Almost at night force optics for half price

Do you think this is too much power for hunting part of the equation. Awesome bench scope but will 6x be a problem.

If so, look at the Big Sky SS 4.5-14x44MD (80moa) . Either way, Sightron get the nod.
Mike
mfilippello View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 15:03

I completely disagree with that statement as it is unfounded and based on opinion. I believe Leupold makes a fine product. I compete in many different disciplines and 8 out of 10 scopes at any given competition is Leupold, and the most experienced competitors only use the best.

The Mark 4's are great scopes however, the new SIII's have better glass. I defer to Koshkin on that. Sightrons tracking is second to none so here we have a tie. 100 moa is more than enough. Sightrons have no back lash issues on the parallax adjustment that some Leu's have and I have not heard of any canted reticles either. Both are fine products but at $750 there abouts for the new SIII it's a tough act to beat at any price. Both have outstanding warranty

Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic