OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon & sample list

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLRVRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon & sample list
    Posted: December/25/2008 at 15:37
 Why are there so many factory reconditioned Nikons on the Sample List?
 It tells me they might have a lot of problems.
  What's your take on this.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 15:40
lots of demo/display/sample type models, lots of trade in's. abviously a lot of people have bought nikons, i have had 6 of them over the last 5 years and never had a problem with any of them, in fact all of my rifles except 2 have a nikon on them right now.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 15:41
Not to mention over supply?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 15:48
This is a cut and paste of an old post from our gracious host, Chris Farris on the subject of Nikon refurbs. 

Different manufacturers have different names for anything that is not new, some call them Refurbished when actually they are not.  Instead of having some called, factory blem, some called salesman samples, discontinued, damaged packaging, etc.......they just call everything Refurbished.  Anything that is not 100% new gets put in the "refurb" pile.  When you look at the big picture of how many scopes are made, the refurbs we have on our SampleList site is not even a measurable percentage.  Another contributing factor to a large number of any brand on the SampleList is that the manufacturers wait until they have a large quantity before they sell them.  Also the end of the year and start of a new year always brings many items to the SampleList because reps are turning in their samples and all the manufacturers are cleaning out inventory.

According to Nikon themselves, the industry average for returns/warranty of riflescopes is 5%...........Nikon's rate is .6%.  I am sure however that "their" industry average includes BSA, tasco, Barska,  Leatherwood, etc. so its hard to know how good that number is until we know what Leupold's number is.

On another note, Leupold is hyper sensative about "refurbs" because of exactely what has been discussed in this thread.  They don't want people to see a big pile of them somewhere and think Leupold has a problem, so they don't sell them.

OLRVRAT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLRVRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 15:52
 Thanks . Makes sense to me.
 I own 8 nikon scopes and have never had a problem but they are on guns that mainly sit in a gun safe.
 All my beater rifles wear Leupold (probably going to stir up the pot with this one!) and i have never had a problem with one of them.and i use them rifles!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 15:58
You asked a very good question and one that gets asked here from time to time.  
Looks kinda scary to see all those "Nifurbs" posted on the Sample List, don't it? Wink

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 15:59
i dont worry about the nikons, i am happy with them, i own a bushnell 4200 and a loopie varixII and i would take the nikon just a well as those other two
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
OLRVRAT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLRVRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 16:38
 I'm looking to put a 2.5-8 on a rem model 673 and i've narrowed it down to the monarch or a vxii. I don't care for the fast focus eyepiece, ive lost the rubber rings off most the ones i have and pulling them out of rifle scabbards it moves the focus. that's the vxiii advantage for me, but i agree the monarch is brighter and it's a better price.
 But when i seen all the refurbs i began to wonder.
 Thanks for the replies.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 16:42
ive got a monarch on my 673 a 3x9 works good
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 07:09

When I returned my Zeiss for repair, the CS lady acted like they fix some scopes and replace others.  Perhaps nikon does more replacing...which would have a faster turn around.  Then nikon would be free to fix the broke ones at their own pace.  Leupold on the other hand does more fixing than replacing (as far as I know) thus having less factory refurbs and more fixed scopes....So unless we knew how each company handled a broken scope, it's not really fair to try to say one breaks more than the other, based on how many refurbs there are in circulation.

Just a possible answer.
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 07:11
Oh, and my Nikon off the sample list works great.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 07:36
Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

Oh, and my Nikon off the sample list works great.

Mine too.....Big Grin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic