OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Zeiss Rapid Z Varmint vs Leupold Varmint reticle?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Rapid Z Varmint vs Leupold Varmint reticle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wamshane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Rapid Z Varmint vs Leupold Varmint reticle?
    Posted: December/25/2008 at 14:52
I am looking at a Zeiss 6.5-20 Rapid Z Varmint scope and a Leupold 6.5-20 with varmint reticle.  The Leupold varmint reticle appears to be quite small in looking thru the scope.  The Zeiss Rapid Z looks to be larger.

I am a recent/newbie to varmint shooting and am not sure what the effective differences might be?

Might anyone with experience be able to offer feedback and or a recommendation?

Thanks!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 17:16
the reticles on the zeiss are thicker, but this doesn't mean much in that you have chosen the top end of 20x, it would be more of a factor if you were looking at a top end of 14 or especially 10--either one of these is a top pick with me, also assuming here you are getting the target turrets, have both the zeiss and the leo and can't really tell any differences in glass-- although I'm sure this will become a hot topic.  the hvs (human visual system) tends to average things when looking thru a scope over an extended time frame. Kimber 20x leo in 223. with regular hunter turrets.
wamshane View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wamshane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 20:00
Thank you for the feedback and for the photo.  I was wondering if the Leupold Scope you have has an adjustable objective and whether it is a 1" or 30mm tube?  Some folks have suggested I go with the 30mm to provide more range adjustment?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 17:57
this is a 30 mm with side AO.  if you go with a compensating reticle, the need for lots of adjustment and target turrets diminishes-- that is one of the main points of having varmit and Rapid Z. It was a smart move on Zeiss part to have the holdover in the reticle because there 1" tubes do not have very much elevation ---  that way they could still use the 1" instead of tooling up for 30 mm.
wamshane View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wamshane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 21:24
ah ha ... got it .... thank you very much for the information ... I do think I will focus on the Zeiss ...

regards,
Alycidon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alycidon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 12:29
Ziess is far better in low light sitautions.

A
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic