OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.22LR SCOPE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOOSEKNUCKLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .22LR SCOPE
    Posted: December/23/2008 at 18:15
$300 BUDGET...FOR A SCOPE ON MY 10/22
ALOT OF PLINKING / TARGET UP TO 200, SOME SMALL GAME @ 100 OR LESS

PREFFER A VARIABLE POWER

LEANING TOWARDS THE PRIDE FOWLER / RAPID RETICLE...
IS THIS ENOUGH SCOPE FOR THE MONEY, OR IS THERE A BETTER VALUE
ANYONE WONT TO TALK ME INTO SOMETHING DIFFERANT?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INSIGHT
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 19:24
You might try a Swift Premier 4-12x40.  Excellent scope for the price, but does not come with target knobs.  You can get an elevation knob from www.kentonindustries.com.
Puts you a little below your target price.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 19:25
I am really fond of the sightron SI 3-9x32 rimfire scope, its fairly inexpensive (<$150.00) and provides pretty good glass.  Sure you can spend more money for better glass, but I think this scope represents the type of glass most look for in a rimfire scope.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 19:25
I got the Weaver 4x32 and am very pleased.   I like fixed-power on short-range guns.

Mine went on a suppressed 10/22, good times!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
MOOSEKNUCKLE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOOSEKNUCKLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 19:38
THANKS FOR THE RECOMMENDATIONS GUYS....
CAN ANYONE SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE ON THE PRIDE FOWLER SETUP
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 20:00

a best buy would be a used leo v3 3.5x10 with ao down to 35 yds. check swfa sample list. biggest problem with the fowler set is -- you will have to adjust the bars in the reticles to the particular impact zones of the particular load you are using-- stingers vs. lead as an example are going to give you different hold overs-- if this doesn't bother you (and it shouldn't its a lot of fun) the scope will work for you,

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOOSEKNUCKLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 21:21
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

a best buy would be a used leo v3 3.5x10 with ao down to 35 yds. check swfa sample list. biggest problem with the fowler set is -- you will have to adjust the bars in the reticles to the particular impact zones of the particular load you are using-- stingers vs. lead as an example are going to give you different hold overs-- if this doesn't bother you (and it shouldn't its a lot of fun) the scope will work for you,

COOL....
NOW WOULD YOU GO AS FAR AS TO SAY THAT THE GLASS, AND
CRAFTSMANSHIP/BUILD QUALITY ARE UPT TO PAR WITH OTHER SCOPES FROM THE MAJOR BRANDS IN THIS PRICE RANGE?

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 01:08
"COOL....
NOW WOULD YOU GO AS FAR AS TO SAY THAT THE GLASS, AND
CRAFTSMANSHIP/BUILD QUALITY ARE UPT TO PAR WITH OTHER SCOPES FROM THE MAJOR BRANDS IN THIS PRICE RANGE?"
No because in the $300 price range you can get scopes that I consider to have better glass and craftsmanship and for a few dollars more you can get a lot better.
5214259920 Zeiss 2.5-8x32 Conquest Rifle Scope                                                                                     Zeiss 2.5-8x32 Conquest Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
SWFA: $399.95
More Info... Buy Now
403240 IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope                                                                                            IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4A
  • 1"
SWFA: $359.95
More Info... Buy Now
424164SF Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope                                                                                 Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
SWFA: $429.95
More Info... Buy Now
SII4514X42HHR Sightron 4.5-14x42 SII Riflescope                                                                                       Sightron 4.5-14x42 SII Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Hunter Holdover Reticle
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Target Knobs
SWFA: $354.95
More Info... Buy Now
SS16X42

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 07:07
ZEISS....AMEN
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 08:10
I guess you missed the "used leo" part.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOOSEKNUCKLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 14:45

I guess you missed the "used leo" part.

USED LEO?
COULD YOU ELABORATE, FORGIVE MY IGNORANCE
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 15:05
sometimes swfa takes in trades-- even a used broke leo can be turned around under warranty in about 2weeks as their warranty covers the scope not the owner.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOOSEKNUCKLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 15:09

sometimes swfa takes in trades-- even a used broke leo can be turned around under warranty in about 2weeks as their warranty covers the scope not the owner.

I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE OR EVEN EVER HEARD OF THESE SCOPES?

ANY OTHER INFO OR  A LIN THAT I CAN CHECK EM-OUT?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 15:13
He is talking about a used Leupold scope off the sample list which is the used scope store that SWFA runs. called the http://www.samplelist.com/

Edited by supertool73 - December/24/2008 at 15:13
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 18:34
I have a 3.5-10x50 EFR Leupold that is an excellent rimfire scope. I also have a couple of 10/22 Rugers and that scope is way to big to put on them. Unless you have a custom heavy barrel rig I would look at something quite a bit smaller.
Besides, 200 yds with a stock 10/22 will not happen.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 10:45
good article if interested
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 10:49
Nice link, Dale..................thanks
chaltraw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaltraw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 20:03
I went through three Tasco's and a Weaver on my 10/22, internal fogging, turning cross-hairs, complete interal failures.. Then I pony'd up for a Leupold 2-7 and it's a perfect balance of power and size for the rig. The rimfire is pretty tough on scopes like an airrifle. 

The Whitle Pigs out here in the West makes for some quick shotting and has been flawless for almost 10 years...

sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 15:04

you will have to adjust the bars in the reticles to the particular impact zones of the particular load you are using-- stingers vs. lead as an example are going to give you different hold overs-- if this doesn't bother you (and it shouldn't its a lot of fun) the scope will work for you,

Exactly!! I love my 3-9x PFI Rapid Reticle. It was on an AR-15 223 AI (recald the stadia lines to the trajectory of my load). It's now on a Ruger Charger, and i've shot 1.5-2" gps. @ 100 with it 1 1.5" gp. @ 150 and 4-6" gps. @ 200. Gotta love that reticle if you're into long-range.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic