OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Topic Closedfixed vs. vari

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Topic: fixed vs. vari
    Posted: December/23/2008 at 18:08
I have already posted about a good fixed power to put on my new Browning X-Bolt rifle in .308 for Whitetail and small game.
After reading many different posts and articles, I have become a little confused.
Is there any pros and/or cons of having one over the other.
The scope I was set on was the Zeiss Conquest 4X32. I thought I had it setteled until I started reading again.
I keep reading that it is better to have the variable power over fixed just in case you might need the power.
I also read that the fixed power scope will have the quality glass over the variable.
Can anyone shed a little light on this for me? (no punn intended).
As stated, the rifle will be for whitetail deer, small game, target all within 200 yard range. If I stretched it to the limit of my area of hunting, I can squeeze about 300 yards max. I am not comfortable shooting at that range any way. I do not shoot over the 200 yard mark.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 18:17
Given your stated requirements, I would stick with the fixed power.  It is plenty good for you out to 300, probable faster acquisition, less likelihood of recoil induced damage (which is not significant with your rifle, so it should last forever), and EASE of operation.  Given your circumstances, I would choose the Zeiss fixed almost any day. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 18:23
I already have the Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 on my 7MM-08 and am very happy with it. I am looking for something different. Both rifles are identical except for the scopes.
I guess I just want change in my 57 year old life.
If you pay X dollar for a fixed power scope, and pay X dollar for a variable power like a 2-7 or 3-9, what is the difference other then the extra power? There has to be a trade-off somewhere!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 18:39
1. "Is there any pros and/or cons of having one over the other". Lots and you will get many different opinions depending on who (read that what they are using) you speak with. I will give a short list on the pros of the fixed.1. They are theoretically brighter because they have less lenses inside, but in reality with todays quality of glass and coatings I doubt you would really see a difference if you were comparing a Conquest fixed to a Conquest variable. 2. The are lighter in weight. Some say the are stronger because they are less complex. 3. They are less costly to manufacture so they cost you less. Now the cons: 1. They are not as flexible as a variable which is obvious.
"I also read that the fixed power scope will have the quality glass over the variable". Hum, I say false if you are comparing apples to apples or in your case Conquests to Conquests. If anything there would be an advantage going to the fixed as stated above. If you were comparing say, Leupolds, the glass quality would be the same in the FX3 vs VX3.

For me, I choose a variable because I like the flexibility. If I'm going to be hunting wooded areas for whitetails, I crank the power down to 2.5. If I am presented with a long shot say on a power line cut, I can crank it up to 8x or 10x. Normally, I just leave my scopes set on 4 or 6 if I'm in mixed terrain. Bottom line is that if you are hunting with 200 yard or so limitations, a fixed 4x will be absolutely fine.

Edited by Roy Finn - December/23/2008 at 18:44
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 19:01
I once had a fixed 4X on a rifle for whitetail and I found myself wanting to change the power up so I could see better when a deer came into view in the woods during sunset, but was unable. after that I started to carry my compact 8X field glasses everywhere I went while hunting. That actually works out better for me because I do not have to use the rifle scope for a spotting scope every time I see something moving in the woodline. I did however get rid of that 4X scope and the next rifle got the good old Variable mounted on it. I will have to say that the 4X was not of the greatest quality any way. It was the Swift 4X. The Zeiss would be a whole new ballgame as far as quality glass and sight!
Do it because you want to, not because you think you have to!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 19:32
YOU are going to have to decide what your requirements/wants are.   Can't help you there.  As I said, given your stated requirements/usage, I would choose the 4x.  However, if you WANT a variable, I personally prefer 2.5x10.  If you are looking to lower range, something like 1.5x5, 1.5x6 or 2x7 would be good.  They are quick on target, give you some variable flexibility and retain most of the advantages of a fixed power scope.  Never having to worry about changing power IS an advantage and a 4x is more than enough for your stated ranges.  Zeiss is an excellent choice.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 19:41
  Fixed power will have slightly crisper image due to less glass that you are looking through.  This is the case I have found when comparing same brand scopes wich each other. 

Edited by yellowdog - December/23/2008 at 19:42
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 19:55
Have bunches of fixed power scopes, use often, never regretted.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 03:05
Originally posted by frankb frankb wrote:

I have already posted about a good fixed power to put on my new Browning X-Bolt rifle in .308 for Whitetail and small game.
After reading many different posts and articles, I have become a little confused.
Is there any pros and/or cons of having one over the other.
The scope I was set on was the Zeiss Conquest 4X32. I thought I had it setteled until I started reading again.
I keep reading that it is better to have the variable power over fixed just in case you might need the power.
I also read that the fixed power scope will have the quality glass over the variable.
Can anyone shed a little light on this for me? (no punn intended).
As stated, the rifle will be for whitetail deer, small game, target all within 200 yard range. If I stretched it to the limit of my area of hunting, I can squeeze about 300 yards max. I am not comfortable shooting at that range any way. I do not shoot over the 200 yard mark.
........Frank,,,,,,,,,,,I remember that thread!.....Ok now. Your requirements are; 200 yards or less for deer and other small game, with an occasional shot out to 300 yards if ever you`re comfortable. But more than likely you`ll never fire a shot at game at that range.

Based on your hunting enviornment, you really cannot lose with either the fixed or the variable. However, if I were to choose one, I`d go with a lower powered variable and here`s why.

First!... Better magnification adaptability to the terrain your hunting in. In other words, with a variable you`re not locked in to just one power setting.

Second!...Set on the lower powers, variables like the 1x3`s and the 1.5x5`s offer a much wider FOV than do fixed 4x`s. This is important because a wider FOV, especially with game at closer ranges or in the event of surprises, allows for faster both eyes open target acquisition and aiming for quicker shots at moving targets or otherwise.

Thirdly!....5x on the high end is more than sufficient for any game you will hunt within 200 yards or less, or even out to 300 yards for that matter. Don`t be concerned with enough power, but instead be more concerned with the closer and surprise encounters, in which case, a 1.5x on the low end is much better than a fixed 4x.

Fourth!.....The lower variables such as the 1" straight tubed scopes are lighter and lower in profile. 

With a variable, you can still have cake and eat it too. Unlike the fixed power which has a very good simplistic advantage, with a variable, you need to always be aware of what level your power setting is on. It would be best in your situation, just to keep it on the low setting and if or when needed, it can be very quickly adjusted up to suit the need.

If a fixed power from the same maker has a better optical quality advantage, imo, it would be minimal.

Since you were considering the 4x Zeiss and its great glass with the 1" tube, the best 1" tubed low powered variables which will do a great job are; the 1.5-5x20 Sightron Big Sky and the 1.5-5x20 VX3. 

On occasion and for some fun hunting, I remove from my 300 WSM, a 2.5-8x28 Nikon variable EER scout and transfer my 1.5-5x20 VX3 from my 375 Ruger over to that 300 WSM compact........What fun! A great handling and fast scope for the closer ranges and also very capable of 300 to 400 yard work too.

The 4x Zeiss will give you the better glass and better low light capabilities, while the lower variables like the Sightron and Leupold offer the better FOVs, faster target acquisition, lighter weight, make your X bolt a quicker handler, while still giving you the good quality optics needed to get `er done as well.

So! As with anything, you will need to make some compromises, by prioritizing what is most important to you and choosing accordingly.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 03:33
I would say that the variables come into play if you want or need the higher magnification such as 9x or more.
This higher magnification limits the use of the scope for 150 yds and longer shots. If you wound and animal and have to come closer for the tracking and close up shooting, the high magnification is a problem. So you need a lower magnification, hence the variable.
If you have a fixed 6x or 4x the scope will do both short and long shots.
So the approach should be backwards. Answer first the question if you want higher magnification. If the answer is yes, you will need a variable. If the answer is no, you will not need one.
Of course there is the dangerous game scope of 1,5-5, which caters for fast close shooting.
So in the world of optics, there are choices and more choices, not one is right or wrong, unless you have only one size target at a fixed distance under fixed light conditions!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 06:43
Over the years I have had more fixed powers on rifles than I have had variables.  But I am also from a different era. [ The Middle Ages   Bucky ]  Back when I was growing up the 4X scope was the " ordinary scope " for typical deer hunting.  6X scopes were for antelope hunters and varmint hunters!!  Excellent   Laugh

If you are not going to be shooting more than 250 yards at deer sized animals a 4X scope is perfectly fine!  Besides, you can generally get a better quality scope ( in a fixed 4X ) for a lot less money than the same company's variable scopes. 

4X has enough FOV for close shots and it's okay for the occasional long shot.  It will certainly be BRIGHT!!  4X32 equals 8mm exit pupil!  Shocked   Big Grin

The Zeiss Conquest you mentioned is about the same price as their variables.  The IOR 4X is WAY LESS money than their variable scopes----that is a big difference!!  If I was going to go straight four power---I would get the IOR---while it is still the bargain of the century!! 

But as for the straight 4X scope.....that is never a bad idea!

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 08:13
you should look at the leo 6x42 fixed also-- better turret system, a little higher power if your so inclined.
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 08:29
Thunbs Up   Good advice!!  I have a 6X on my rifle now.  A little less field of view in the deep woods but a lot better magnification for a longer shot....or for shooting at a target.  Bucky
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 08:34

Great response and advise. I greatly appreciate the help. I guess I need to take another look at the variables at low power before doing anything else. I will have to go visit a sports shop to look at these scopes before making my final decision. I will be purchasing from SWFA any way. My Zeiss Conquest came from Chris, ad the service is great.

I will listen and read any and all advise you guys can give me with an open mind.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 08:36
now where are those pesky 6x42 monarchs that they had on sale earlier this yearJerry Springer
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 08:40
IOR makes one of them, too!!   Shocked      
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 10:53
  frankb,I recently bought a new but discontinued Sightron SII 1.5-6x42.  At 1.5X it's as quick to get on target as I can imagine anything could be and at 6x it's all I need. Heck,I shot a whitetail doe at 312yds(lasered later) with my old but tried and true El Paso Weaver K4 w/post & crosshair reticle with NO problem. The Sightron's good but I can only imagine what a high end scope in this power range would be like!

til later
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 17:24
I found a Zeiss conquest 1.8-5.5X38 and a 2.5-8X32.
What are the thoughts on these two?
I cannot seem to find anything lower starting with a 1.5 or so.
Am I still heading in the right direction with the Zeiss, or should I be looking at another brand as well?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 17:32
Frank, are you switching gears now and looking for low-medium power variables?
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 17:55
Originally posted by frankb frankb wrote:

I found a Zeiss conquest 1.8-5.5X38 and a 2.5-8X32.
What are the thoughts on these two?
I cannot seem to find anything lower starting with a 1.5 or so.
Am I still heading in the right direction with the Zeiss, or should I be looking at another brand as well?
...........For such a lowered powered variable, that 1.8-5x38 Zeiss is a bulky, long and a tank at 18 oz. Of the two take the 2.5-8x32............Unfortunately, Zeiss up to this point doesn`t make a nice, lighter and less bulky, 1" tubed lower powered variable starting at a 1x or 1.5x. Everything offered now by Zeiss in the low variables, are in the expensive 30mm`s............Even for your use the 2.5x8 is a bit too much, but very do-able. So if the Zeiss is your top choice, stay with the 2.5x8.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic