OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need Scope for my new .300 win mag!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remington 700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Scope for my new .300 win mag!
    Posted: January/21/2005 at 13:52

Hello,

I just bought a Remington 700 P in .300 win mag and was wondering what scope would work best for me. 

I want a scope that is bright, clear, keeps its zero(most important) and works in a variety of different weather conditions( from -20 to 98 degrees). 

Ill be using it to shoot coyote, deer and mabye eventually bigger game such as elk. 

My price range is anything less than 500 dollars.

Does anyone have a scope or know of a scope for under 500 dollars that ill keep its zero with a .300 win mag and have a nice clear picture??

Thanks

steve

P.S- A 50mm will be brighter and clearer than a 40mm right? So whats the downside to getting a 50mm besides weight and the fact that you have more metal atop your gun? 

Brewdaddy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2005 at 14:25

I'm no expert myself, but I have been down this road already on this board. After a few week of reading and learning, here is what you'll hear from the experts.

The best for the money under $500.

Bushnell Elite 4200, gets the most praise from this board as the best scope for the money.

Nikon Monarch is just a little more expensive, and I've never heard anyone say anything, but great things about this scope.

And if you can dig a little deeper into your pocket book, hands down Zeiss Conquest is heads above the rest. One guy even said the best scope made under $1000.

Edited by Brewdaddy
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2005 at 14:39
Brewdaddy hit it right on!  You should also check out the Weaver Grand Slams!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2005 at 17:56
Unless you need the very most exit pupil at the upper end of the power settings, the 50mm will do nothing for you that the 40mm will do. I am a big fan of the Elites, and have a tremindous amount of faith in them.
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2005 at 22:23
Id say for the money the Bushnell 4200 is pretty hard to beat.  Also as stated above the Weaver Grand Slam is very good to.  I'd also agree that the Zeiss Conquest is awsome for not too much more money.  My two favorite scopes in that range would be the Zeiss Conquest and one that is often overlooked but still a VERY awsome scope is the Pentax Lightseeker.  My guess is the Lightseeker looks like a flashlight  but it is crystal clear and bight.  GREAT SCOPE

Edited by Acenturian
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2005 at 05:13

I love the Conquest 3-9x40. It's an outstanding scope.

You can buy it here @ SWFA for under $500.

As stated, the Monarch, 4200, and even the Weaver Grand Slam would serve you well.

After the Conquest, I personally like the Monarch (without the AO.)

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2005 at 09:58
 I have a Browning 300 Ultramag that wears a 50 mm scope and a 300 Wby that wears a 42 mm scope...Honestly- quality optics are just as important , if not more, than lens size..  However, you're right about the downsides of the bigger scope- more weight and  higher mounts could pull your head of stock, but if your comfortable with a 50mm scope ( I am ) , go for it .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic