OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Alliant RE17 In Stock !!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 16:29
Like MONSTERS sig ,and thats the way it is .
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 16:33
kinda like murphy's law sorta
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 22:43
Stopped by a local store hoping they'd have it but not yet. Too bad since everything was 10% off. At least that made what I bought less painful. I noticed CCI large rifle BR primers that I bought last year @ $32/1000 are now $42/1000.

I'd like to hear how well RE17 performs with a 180 gr. bullet in a .308.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 13:12
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Stopped by a local store hoping they'd have it but not yet. Too bad since everything was 10% off. At least that made what I bought less painful. I noticed CCI large rifle BR primers that I bought last year @ $32/1000 are now $42/1000.

I'd like to hear how well RE17 performs with a 180 gr. bullet in a .308.
................I think that maybe for now the major distributors will get the majority of the Rel 17 that is available with some gradually hitting the dealers later on.

To get some quicker, I won`t mind paying the extra $20 haz-mat fee + shipping.

I`m very anxious too, to load some 150`s & 180`s up for my 300 WSM and then chrony them.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2008 at 13:30
im going to buy some retumbo and some r-25 and maybe a pound of 100v i think next weekend
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
geezer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 13:03
UPS man delivered mine yesterday.  Planning on trying some out this weekend.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 12:52
Man I just checked out Graf's for 2 pounds of RE17 and after a handling fee and $20 haz mat the total was $63-64???!!! 

I think I'll wait until it hit the east coast and buy local!!!  Whats with the handling fee? 

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 13:41
I just saw a post on another site, where someone  chrony`d an additional gain of 200+ fps using a grain and a half less of Rel 17 as opposed to RL19 in a 280 Steyr. Same bullet!

All the gains I`m reading about with this stuff from other sites, is outstanding! In another post, somebody chrony`d an additional 150 fps or so from a previous high, using a 180 gr out of a 300 RSAUM that went up to 3150 fps from a 24" tube. I think he used 62 gr RL 17. Alliant shows a max for the 300 WSM 180 gr at 66 gr RL 17.

180 gr @ 3000 fps from a 16.5" barrel using RL17?....Naughty.............Veeeeedy interestin!!!
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 13:50
The above 280 Steyr mentioned, is a 280 Remington; 120 gr bullet.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 15:30
From what I gather is all the comparisons are from what speer has in their load data and it is all on the slow side anyways?
geezer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 08:07
Bud,

I always get together with other friends that also reload and we place an order together.  I always order 32 lbs and then shipping is less than a dollar a pound and I do not have to pay the hazmat fee.  There is only one place that stocks reloading supplies in the local area where I live.  He charges over $30.00 a pound for IMR or Alliant powder.  That is why I started ordering myself - buying locally is too expensive and there is a very limited selection.  It's a little bit of a hassle because I have to organize everything when placing an order, but at least I can get what I want at a decent price. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 08:26
Anyone ever try any gun shows?  Back when I reloaded, I bought almost all my powder, primers and bullets from gun shows at pretty decent savings over local distrib.  However, that was a while ago.  Looking for info because I am giving serious thought to reloading again.  I did not check at the last show I attended because I was still not in a possible reloading mode.  However, unlike in the past, I did not see any substantial "deals" on any firearms (even what I considered "junk guns"), some meager savings on a few accessories, a very few deals on "factory ammo".  Prices overall were high, very little in savings.  Is this now the "norm"?  Info requested. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 08:33
 I've been watching the prices of used Model 70's since New Haven closed and within maybe the last 2 weeks the prices I was seeing have dropped $100 to $150+. The economy problem hits again.
 I wonder how RE17 would work in the 9.3x62mm?

Edited by 300S&W - January/26/2009 at 08:44
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 08:46
Originally posted by geezer geezer wrote:

Bud,

I always get together with other friends that also reload and we place an order together.  I always order 32 lbs and then shipping is less than a dollar a pound and I do not have to pay the hazmat fee.  There is only one place that stocks reloading supplies in the local area where I live.  He charges over $30.00 a pound for IMR or Alliant powder.  That is why I started ordering myself - buying locally is too expensive and there is a very limited selection.  It's a little bit of a hassle because I have to organize everything when placing an order, but at least I can get what I want at a decent price. 

I'll have to post a query at my Sportsmans club to see how many would be interested it a large quantity buy.  Until then I am stuck either mailordering or accepting what in stock from the local shops.  Nobody has the reformulated RE17 around here yet.

Figures
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 08:50
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Anyone ever try any gun shows?  Back when I reloaded, I bought almost all my powder, primers and bullets from gun shows at pretty decent savings over local distrib.  However, that was a while ago.  Looking for info because I am giving serious thought to reloading again.  I did not check at the last show I attended because I was still not in a possible reloading mode.  However, unlike in the past, I did not see any substantial "deals" on any firearms (even what I considered "junk guns"), some meager savings on a few accessories, a very few deals on "factory ammo".  Prices overall were high, very little in savings.  Is this now the "norm"?  Info requested. 

I was just at a large Gun show at the state fairgrounds in Baltimore.  Only one vendor had reloading supplies and he was wiped out.  He claimed to be a professional loader but knew nothing about the new RE17 and got down right hostile with I tried to tell him about it.  Needless to say I didn't buy anythying from him.  JERK!
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 09:22
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

I've been watching the prices of used Model 70's since New Haven closed and within maybe the last 2 weeks the prices I was seeing have dropped $100 to $150+. The economy problem hits again.
 I wonder how RE17 would work in the 9.3x62mm?

Now thats interesting, I'll have to check prices around here.  Were you watching internet stuff or locally?  I've already started savings for my next rifle and it's a toss up over a 223 or 308.  I am leaning toward a 223 since my 270 will surfise for deer hunting.

Its hard to beat Wally World for new gun pricing and from want I've seen so far around my neck of woods is most gunsshops price their used ones too close to new pricing.
--Thomas Jefferson

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 10:06
 Internet stuff. Recently saw a Model 70 Classic SS in .270 Win go for $550 w/ Leupold bases and rings. Another one exactly like it went for $650 a wk or so before. Also saw one just like those two but in .375 H+H go for $750.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 10:11
speaking of the .375H&H i just loaded up about a box of test loads yesterday and i must say that the finished product looks menacing to say the least! i wanna try r-17 in that when i get my hands on some.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 10:19
 When ya gonna touch it off?!  I've got a bit of a bedding issue on the tang of my 9.3 Mauser but now just waiting for the epoxy to set up and I'll be good to go. Those big bullets do look BIG.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 10:35
i need to load up 2 more powders worth of test loads and my daughter is having her 2nd surgery next monday, so i wont be able to shoot it for two weeks.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic