OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Millet TRS 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jedi8541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Millet TRS 1
    Posted: December/23/2008 at 11:13
I purchased this scope from a dealer in Juneau Alaska. All he could say about this scope that it was the equivalent of a Leupold Mk 3 or MK 4. I ask him if that was so why isnt it in the price range of a Leupold. He said that Millet was trying to make a name for theirselves in the tactical market.  I took a chance and dished out the money for it. Since I was on leave I didnt have a chance to mount it on my weapon that I was going to take to Iraq with me. When I returned to base I bought the mounts to putnit on my M-16.  i went to the range  to get it sighted in.  I got it on paper and sighted at 100 meters. An instructor that was close by told me to shoot a box with it.  The first input was 3 MOA up. It shot close to 3 minutes up. Next 3 MOA left, once again it was close to three minutes left. Next three MOA down. Now at 100 yds the P O I  should have been three inches down. it was only 3/4 of a inch. So where the next two rounds. It took another minute and a half of elevation turns to get it even with the original shot. I returned the elevation turret to zero and the P O I was 1/2 inch above the first 3 minute shot. It did not return to zero.
 Next was to get 200 meter dope.  I got it. I returned to 100 meter zero and the POI was 2 inches off of zero. this scope will not hold zero.  Also if you go out to longer distances such as 700, 800, 900 meters, there is no way to tell how far you have gone past your zero.  That is really bad when out in the feild and you cant tell where your zero is.
I called the shop where i purchased the scope and guess what. They were out of business.

Has any on else had this problem with their millet. I was going to buy the 6x24x56 but if this is a indication of how Millet scopes perform, I will save my money and get a Nightforce  like everyone else told me to .
I would appreciate in feedback from anyone who has any experience with theirs.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 11:43
welcome to the OT --sorry to hear about your experience--have you tried Millet's customer service folks ? definitely send that one back
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 12:04
What you are experiencing is wide spread.  Here is another thread with others that are having problems with their Millet "tactical" scopes and problems with their customer service.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 19:12
I've used a borrowed TRS-1 on 30-06 with good results... no repeatability problems.  However, I spoke with a Millet CS person and was told that the scope was actually designed around .223.  If you are having problems on a .223, you probably just experienced the BAD "luck of the draw".   Definitely exercise your warranty and get it replaced.  If you have the same result, I would think a refund would be in order.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
jedi8541 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jedi8541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 15:45
OK , I spent all day yesterday, from 11:30 in the morning till 18:45 trying to get in touch with the bunch ai Millett. The phone was busy the whole time. My iPhone says I made 219 attempt to call Millett.  I now have a $340.00 paperweight. If any one from Millett visits this site please send me a PM.  There is enough evidence on the web to prove that they are making a inferior  product. If I do not here from them soon, I will never promote any of their products and will tell the truth on other forums with quotes from owners regarding the problems they have with their scopes.  Millett was kind enough to take my money and make a guarantee of their product but wont stand behind it.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 16:21
Jedi, welcome to The OT and I'm sorry to hear of your problems.

Thank your for your service and Godspeed!
matc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 16:27
you would be better off with a email
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 23:59
Hello

As to calling 214 times,   The message system must be full as we closed for the holidays on thurs. the 18th till the 5 of Jan.  we had a message on there but must be full.  I will ck on it at the office on Tues.  As monday I meeting away from office and there is no one there.  

We are still taking care of all problems with our scopes. still lifetime warranty no questions asked.  

All customer service is taken care of by Bushnell CS now.  they will take good care of you if you have a problem.   800 MILLETT  still works. 
No One has had a paper weight and they will not have one from Millett.  we have been in business for 30 yrs and plan on being for a lot longer.  With Bushnell we have more resources, a larger marketing base and tech support. 

We have some new models for 2009 and I think you will find them to be what you guys have been asking for.  Things like mil clicks and come up marks on the TRS.  so if you come to the shot show stop in and see me at the Bushnell / Millett booth. 

So if you have a problem dont give up we will take care of you.  Its easy to blame the company when its just the holidays and a messed up phone system.

Have a good holidays

Steve

Steve
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 10:48
Hello guys

Post script:  I called both numbers at Millett and they are working. So I do not know what the problem was that someone called 214 times but the Millett phone and the Bushnell phones are working. There is a message explaining we are closed for the holidays.  If you would like to try the #  800 MILLETT and 714 842 5575.   We will be back into the office on the 5th of Jan.  give us a call then and you will talk to a real person. 

Also the TRS was not designed for the 223 we have had customers install and use on 50 BMG,  it will even work on air rifles.  I do not know how the 223 got started but thats bull.

Good shooting

Steve
Millett sights
Steve
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 23:31
One of your CS guys said it was built for .223.  I expect it was March that I asked for information on the TRS-1.
However, as I said, it worked fine for me on 30-06.  No problems at all.

Edited by Kickboxer - December/29/2008 at 23:37

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 23:38
Hello

Please give me the CS name so I can get him on the right track. The TRS will take on all calibers.

good shooting

Steve

Steve
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 09:33
Steve, 
Sorry, that was over 9 months ago.  I cannot recall the name.  I phoned and asked for some technical information on the TRS-1, was asked to hold while connected to customer service (or perhaps technical service... can't remember exactly).  Since I was about to mount someone else's scope on my 30-06 BAR, I wanted to make sure it would be OK.  The discussion went something like "it was actually designed with the .223 in mind, but will be good for your use".  I have always caveated any suggestion for usage of the Millet with that info since then.  Since you are "the MAN" for Millet, I will certainly take your word for its utility for other calibers.  My friend took it off his AR and put it on a 30-06 and has had no problems... loves it.  I also recently saw a review on Sniper Central with the scope on a .308, which seemed quite favorable.  
I will say as I have before, for MY usage, it performed well and had no problems on the -06.  
Your assurances certainly make it another option.  

omahaguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 03:34
hey steve what kind of price range can we expect on those improved models also mel over at sniper central said the fallowing 
"I did notice if it was fairly dark like at late dusk and the reticule setting was on the higher settings (above about 8) there was some excess light entering the tube from the lighting component from both the 7 o'clock and 2 o'clock position in the scope"
any thoughts?
also are all the internals steel, any of that brass or nylon crap that wears out?

Thanks
Jerry M.
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 09:08

Hello

The price is going up a little but still a good value. 

The light you see is normal its just refraction from the edge of the lens.  you should not need to use the higher settings except for in day light.   if you balance the level to the outside light you should not see the refraction.

Our windage and elev. are brass, which is the best way to make them.  Brass is self lubercating, We use brass on brass.  will last forever.  we use rubber o rings.  and the best material for the requirement.

Steve

Bushnell / Millett
Steve
omahaguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 17:33
well if they go up more then $25 I think people will go for the nikon monarch instead I see the 4-16x 42mm monarch for as low as $340 new in the box at some online dealers if that millet breaks the $300 mark I think it will put alot of potential buyers off, esp with people like matt putting out good cheap scopes like the W.O.tac
Just my 2 cents
Cbissell07 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 17:47
Steve i was wondering if the milletts have a life time warrenty then why does bushnell have a limited lifetime?
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 21:31
Hello

the Millett scopes have a full life time warranty.  That has not changed.  The Millett scopes give a lot of value, good glass and features others do not have.   The up dated trs is what you guys have been asking for.   1/4 " clicks one screw knob or .1 mil clicks.

Moved the illumination knob so it will clear the bolt handles of those that had a problem clearing before. 

The low level of the illumination is lower now.  

Only problem is we cant keep up with the demand.   the TRS, DMS and the LRS are backordered. 

Good shooting

Steve
Steve
nukemmc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukemmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 10:16
I have a TRS-1 I bought used, before I read any opinions on the web about them.  I don't regret this purchase at all.  I have been shooting competitively since I was 12 (1976), have an NRA Highpower Master class, shot tactical M14 DMRs in the Navy (with Leupold M1A Ultras) and at one time even had a USMC-marked Unertl Sniper in my possession (legally procured thru gov't channels, but returned to Quantico so they could put it back in service).  I had even gotten it "serviced" at the Unertl shop in Mars, PA, and yes, they asked how I had gotten hold of it.  Fortunately I kept my paperwork with it when I went there.

The TRS I have is (I presume) one of the originals, with the straight mil-dot reticle (no bars) and the reticle being 1 mil at 16x, not 10x.  As it came from the previous owner, there was a slight dent in the tube where the front ring was, other than that, it looked in pretty good shape.  I also shot a "box" with it to check accuracy, and came within 1/4moa @ 200yds with it.....within my abilities, so it passed in my book.  I checked for any signs of zero-shift when changing power, and that showed 0 shift also, so the scope is functionally great.  By the way, it's mounted on an EGW 1-piece base with Warne Maxima fixed rings.

The only issues I have with it is the "ghosting" or fogging on internal lenses when the reticle is illuminated and very mushy clicks.  I called Bushnell/Millett CS and they said I was welcome to send it in, and they would check to see if it was repairable.  If the dented tube caused the problem, then (understandably) they would charge me for the repair/replacement.  Otherwise, they would fix it or replace it when one became available.  I'm in the process of accurizing the M700 it was on, so I have to decide if I want to risk sending it in and not getting it back or its replacement for an unknown period.  That's the only other drawback I see with Millett scopes....availability.

So this seems to be one of the few published accounts of good results from the scope and the CS folks.  So my hat's off to Steve for walking the walk he talks.
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 23:37
Thanks Nuke

We try to give a lot of value for the money with our scopes.  And you are right we never seem to have enough tactical scopes.  We have increased production and will work on making more yet. 

Thanks again

Steve
Steve
nukemmc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukemmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 14:58
Steve,

Did the TRSs start coming in yet?  The internal glare on mine when illuminted (even on NV) makes it useless to light the reticle anywhere past twilight.  Don't want to send it in and not see it back for a couple months.

Bruce
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic