OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

2009 Riflescope Rating Scale?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2009 Riflescope Rating Scale?
    Posted: December/22/2008 at 14:10
Ok folks, what changes do you think will be made to the 2008 scale for 2009?

2008 Riflescope Rating Scale

10 - Swarovski Z6, Zeiss Victory

9 - Kahles C - CL & CSX, Schmidt & Bender

8 - Kahles KX, U.S. Optics, Swarovski PH & American, X.O.T.I.C.,  Zeiss Classic

7 - Bushnell Elite 6500, Leupold VX-7, Nightforce, IOR Valdada

6 - Bushnell Elite 4200, Nikon Monarch & Monarch X, Zeiss Conquest

5 - Leupold Mark 4 VX III & VX-L, Nikon Monarch Gold & Titanium, Sightron SIII

4 - Burris Black Diamond Signature Select XTR & Euro Diamond, Meopta, Pentax Lightseeker, Super Sniper, Trijicon Accupoint, Weaver Grand Slam

3 - Bushnell Elite 3200, Leatherwood, Leupold VX-II, Millet, Nikon Buckmaster, Sightron SI & SII, Vortex

2 -  Burris Fullfield II & Timberline, Leupold Rifleman & VX-I, Mueller, Nikon ProStaff, Simmons, Swift

1 - Barska, BSA, Tasco

0 - ATN, Leapers, NcStar

take em!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 14:28
I'll have to defer.  
"Before I speak, I have something important to say"...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 14:33
1.  Move USO and Swaro (PH and AH) up one level.
2.  Move Nightforce up one level (the F1 would will probably go up 2 levels, but that has yet to be established for certain.)
3.  Trijicon Accupoint should move up one level.

That's my opinion, and everyone has at least one.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 14:40
edit to add the bigsky SII and remove the vxl and vx3 until there new counterparts are released.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 15:25
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

1.  Move USO and Swaro (PH and AH) up one level.
2.  Move Nightforce up one level (the F1 would will probably go up 2 levels, but that has yet to be established for certain.)
3.  Trijicon Accupoint should move up one level.

That's my opinion, and everyone has at least one.

I think the "bang for buck" factor is keeping the PH and AH down but I agree, they should be moved up too. They were a 9 on the "2007 T-Bone Riflescope Optical Rating Scale" but then dropped one on the revised list.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 16:43
I wasn't so much asking for changes for changes sake, but what new optics coming out might shake things up a bit.  Sorry, I should have put that in my first post!
take em!
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 17:23
Koshkin and myself have been working on an updated scale and I will wait to post/update the current one after S.H.O.T.

Edited by Chris Farris - December/22/2008 at 17:27
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 17:29
My Super Sniper is NOT as good of a scope as my Burris Black Diamond in any way IMO.  I'd move the SS down a line.  I'd also move the Monarch down a line equal to VX III and Sightron SIII's IMO.  OTher than that the scale looks pretty accurate according to the scopes I own on the list.  THe real question for 09 will be...Where does the new VX ?? sit on the scale.  Leupold's keeping a tight lip on this one.  You can't order the old ones OR the new ones.???  I just want to see a picture of the new ones.  Spy photo's anyone?
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 17:39
Think the Conquest is better than the 4200 or Monarch, but price may be holding it down to where it is. BSA for me ranks right up there with NcStar. Tracking was unusable. That may not be the case with all of them though. Maybe both are where they belong.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 17:47
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

BSA for me ranks right up there with NcStar.

Trigger - didn't you mean to say, "down there"   Smile
take em!
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 17:57
No.....it's called sarcasm. In the real world I live on it. Kind of hard to send it through a computer though.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 18:11
BSA .....big sh#%y apparatus? 
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 18:13
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

BSA .....big sh#%y apparatus? 

Yeah, that's it. I'll talk to my airbrushing buddy. We'll paint their new billboards.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 18:25
Chris do you know if ILya is going to the SHOT show.
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 19:19
Remove the "bang for the buck" feature.  IMO that just gets the water muddy. 
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 19:44
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Chris do you know if ILya is going to the SHOT show.

Roy, he made a post earlier this fall about going and to see if anyone else was.  He mentioned something about having an OT get-together.
take em!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 19:44
Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

That would make the list very interesting. Devil
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 19:57
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

That would make the list very interesting. Devil

I'm trying for a 'grass roots' movement here...If you can find this forum, then you can find the price of a scope.  The trick is which one is the best.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 20:06
I agree without the "value" factored in it seems it would be simpler to get to the nitty gritty everyone wants to see.  I'd like to see best to worst and factor in price for myself since price's priority is different for all of us.
Heitmann13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heitmann13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 21:28
I would like to know where the scopes would be ranked if it soley depended on glass.  Or is there such a scale and I just don't know about it yet.......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic