OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Marine radio transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marine radio transmission
    Posted: December/22/2008 at 09:42
I thought this was funny.

According to a Marine Pilot:

In addition to communicating with the local Air Traffic Control facility, all aircraft in the Persian Gulf AOR are required to give the Iranian Air Defense Radar (military) a ten-minute 'heads up' if they will be transiting Iranian airspace.

This is a common procedure for commercial aircraft and involves giving them your call sign, transponder code, type aircraft, and points of origin and destination.

I just flew with a guy who overheard this conversation on the VHF Guard (emergency) frequency 121.5 MHz while flying from Europe to Dubai. It's too good not to pass along. The conversation went something like this...

Air Defense Radar: 'Unknown aircraft at (location unknown), you are in Iranian airspace. Identify yourself.'

Aircraft: 'This is a United States aircraft. I am in Iraqi airspace.'

Air Defense Radar: 'You are in Iranian airspace. If you do not depart our airspace we will launch interceptor aircraft!'

Aircraft: 'This is a United States Marine Corps FA-18 fighter. Send 'em up, I'll wait!'

Air Defense Radar: (no response ... total silence)

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 10:46
It would be an even better story, if it could be verifed...
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 10:50
these are from my wife's uncle, he used to be in the air force, he flew the f-4 phantom they are about the sr-71 blackbird i enjoyed them.

SR-71 by request

Here's two stories for ya Pyro!

SR-71 Blackbird pilot Brian Shul reported one exchange. His SR-71 was screaming across Southern California, 13 miles high and its crew were monitoring cockpit chatter as they entered Los Angeles airspace. Though they didn't really control the SR-71, LA monitored its movement across their scope. The SR-71 crew heard a Cessna ask for a readout of groundspeed.
"90 knots" Center replied.
Moments later, a Twin Beech required the same.
"120 knots," Center answered.
An F-18 smugly transmitted, "Ah, Center, Dusty 52 requests groundspeed readout."
Center (after a slight pause): "525 knots on the ground, Dusty".
The SR-71 realised how ripe a situation this was for one-upmanship: "Center, Aspen 20, you got a groundspeed readout for us?"
Center (after a longer than normal pause): "Aspen, I show 1,742 knots"
No further groundspeed inquiries were heard on that frequency.

Now here is Pyros favorite.

A SR-71 crew were listening in on a similar "match this" contest. A Cessna asked to clear to 4000 ft, a corporate jet requested clearance to 12,000, an airliner to 18,000, etc. Finally the SR-71 called ATC.
SR-71: "Request clearance to 80,000 ft"
Tower: "Just how in hell do you plan to get up there?" and then with a smart ass tone "Ya right, request approved. Go for it"
SR-71: Roger that, descending to 80,000

Posted by: Far Guy on 6/18/2008 at 10:56 PM | Comments (1) | Permalink

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 12:53
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 13:06
Head Bang that was awesome chris thanks for sharing that!!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 13:22

Thanks for the link CF and the post Trigger.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 15:17
Phantoms PhoreverSalute 

Our guard pilots used to go fly over to St. Louis and get coffee from Mc Donald Douglas.  Given that they had an odd version of F-4, it was cool.   It was getting about quiting time and they had not show up yet.  HUF to Racer leader what's your ETA. Racer leader to HUF ETA 15 minutes, we are number two to taxi at STL.  That's the width if the the state of IL. in less than 15 minutes...  Not bad for an old brick.   
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 15:34
the f4 was a tank, and my wifes uncle loved that bird! i heard rumor and  cannot confirm it but i heard that the austrailian air force took f4's and updated them to current electronics and uses them for there main fighter jet whether or not its true i dont know.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 16:24
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

the f4 was a tank, and my wifes uncle loved that bird! i heard rumor and  cannot confirm it but i heard that the austrailian air force took f4's and updated them to current electronics and uses them for there main fighter jet whether or not its true i dont know.

Actually they are kind of upset right now because they can't order F/A-22's. I don't know about the F-4's, but they are not happy about not getting Raptors.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 17:33

They currently rely on F/A -18's as their primary fighter aircraft..and will likely acquire the F-35 in a few years as it enters service..The F-22 has not been approved for export, as it has proprietary materials and electronics . Add Japan to list of countries trying to bring the F-22 into it's fleet .

Edited by martin3175 - December/22/2008 at 17:36
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 17:52
Good luck to them. I don't think the Raptors will be going out to anyone in the near future. We'll keep them to ourselves 'till we have something better.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 20:22
On delivery of the first two F/A-18's to Australia, they immediately took them out and engaged in Air Combat Maneuvering exercises.  They RAN INTO each other.  One was relatively undamaged, one lost an entire stabilator.  The pilot said "there was no noticeable loss of control until I slowed to landing speed".  Regardless of the qualities of the F-22 (which is a TRULY superior aircraft), and the F-35, which may never actually reach operational status, the F/A-18 is a magnificent airplane.  It has shortfalls, it has never lived up to the advertised capabilities, but is still a force to be reckoned with.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 21:09
They are just about as cool as an F-15. Personally I don't think there is too much out there that wants a piece of any of our fighters.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic