OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Mk 4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Mk 4
    Posted: December/21/2008 at 23:16

Do the Mk 4 scopes have a better reputation for tracking and repeatability than the VXIII scopes?  Are there variable power scopes out there from other manufacturers that are known to be better at tracking, yet in the same price range or less?  Whacko

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 00:34
I really have more experience with the Leupolds than any of the others. I like the feel of the clicks on the target knobs better than I like the feel of the M1 knobs and the M3 knobs drive most people crazy. As for tracking I think the Mk 4 and the VXIII are the same and you can get the M1 knobs or the target knobs on any Leupold scope from the custom shop.
I would expect Zeiss to track very well also and am told you can send a conquest back to the factory to retrofit with target knobs.  The Super Sniper scopes track very nicely. The only IOR that I have had was a 6x and it was a very nice scope and well worth a look much better glass than the leupolds.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 17:33
Thanks!  I'll check out what IOR has in my price range.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 01:30
251421 IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                 IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated MP-8
  • 30mm
  • First Focal Plane Reticle
SWFA: $1,039.95
More Info... Buy Now
604230 IOR 6x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                      IOR 6x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • MP-8
  • 30mm
  • Free 2.5" Sun Shade w/ Purchase
SWFA: $644.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 10:29
Be advised, IOR has great glass and sometimes crap internals - it's luck of the draw.  And if you get one with crap internals, IOR will send it back to Eastern Europe for repairs (probably.)

If tracking is the most important feature, I'd save for another month or 2 and get a nightforce, best bang-for-buck deal in long-range shooting.  Tracking, repeatability, and durability are outstanding.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 19:44
no scope comes with a promise of good tracking-- of course the manufact. can do things mechanically to ensure a higher degree of probability. If I had to pick a group of scopes that tracked the most reliable from a lot of personal use and testing it would be the older Nikon monarchs. If you buy a scope in any price catagory and don't do at least a simple box test, or better a random box test, its your own facult. some mk4 are about 1/20th a click off and after a 1000 yd dial in or about 34 moa will be about 2-3 inchs off, you just have to test them -- some of the early mk4 had non-plumb reticles (off 2-3 degrees). I won't even go into the problems I've had with IOR-- but knowing its quirks, it has certain features that work very well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic