OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Proper Power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper Power
    Posted: December/21/2008 at 20:17
Looking to get a pair of binoculars with my Christmas money. Not really looking for a brand but wanting your opinion on which power is the most appropriate for hunting applications? What about sporting events and concerts? Thanks for your input. 
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 20:46
I have a 10X42, but wish I had bought an 8X42.  It gets difficult to hold the image steady for long periods of time.  
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 20:49
Argue
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 21:11
Whats the argument rifle looney?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 21:17
no argument from me, but this is argumentative territory sometimes,
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 21:31
Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

I have a 10X42, but wish I had bought an 8X42.  It gets difficult to hold the image steady for long periods of time.  
  I have an 8x42 and I sometimes (often) wish it was a 10x42.

There just really isn't a definitive answer to this question.  There are so many factors that can come into play:
  • Where you hunt
  • How you hunt
  • How steady your hands are
  • etc., etc., etc...
For a general purpose, primary hunting binocular, I would offer the following suggestions:
  1. Nothing lower than 7x.
  2. Nothing higher than 10x.
  3. Exit pupil of no lower than 4mm.
  4. Place a high premium on field of view (both real and apparent) - Try to get the widest you can in whatever magnification you choose.
  5. Don't be unduly lured by ultra-lightweight binoculars.  They are nice for some applications but, don't underestimate the value of having a little weight to help stabilize the image - especially after hiking a long way or sprinting to get into position.

Edited by lucznik - December/21/2008 at 21:32
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 21:42
I think there's very little need for a 10X; 8X or even 7X is best all around.  7X was the standard for many years, until the power race began.  10X binoculars were rare not too long ago.  Now in some catalogs they outnumber everything else.  Bottom line, most peiple can't hold them steady and they have limited field of view. 
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 22:27
Originally posted by Monster Monster wrote:

Looking to get a pair of binoculars with my Christmas money.

What is your dollar limit(budget)?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 23:32
The 7 or 8X32 would be lighter for hunting. But since I do more Stand or stationary glassing I like the 8X42 better. Better glass far exceeds power for resolution.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 23:36
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

Originally posted by Monster Monster wrote:

Looking to get a pair of binoculars with my Christmas money.

What is your dollar limit(budget)?

Don't really know my budget yet so that is why I asked about what power is best so I can narrow down my choices
cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 07:21
The other issue with a 7x42 is much larger exit pupil.  6mm.  This helps with Low light, stability, and Zeiss have a massive 450' FOV.  If I got even a little light or moon, I can see my fields at night.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 13:30
I bought the Leupold Katmai 6x32mm for my wife, and we both have enjoyed using it, and others here on the forum recommend it as well.

In comparing the 6x32mm to Fujinon CD 7x42mm roof & Minox BD 8x44mm BP Porro binoculars, my older eyes appreciate the higer magnification of either the 7x or 8x, for BETTER image size and resolution/sharpness.

As others have already mentioned, a 10x has a smaller FOV, and is more difficult,, for the beginner, to hold steady.

10x usually represents a price increase over 7x or 8x.

Having tested the 32mm against the 42mm and the 44mm, my eyes PREFER the larger aperture/exit pupil of either the 42mm, or the 44mm.

The Minox Porro offers a higher percentage of light transmission to the eyes, as well, higher than most roof prism binoculars.

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/22/2008 at 13:39
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 16:48
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

I have an 8x42 and I sometimes (often) wish it was a 10x42.

There just really isn't a definitive answer to this question.  There are so many factors that can come into play:
  • Where you hunt
  • How you hunt
  • How steady your hands are
  • etc., etc., etc...
For a general purpose, primary hunting binocular, I would offer the following suggestions:
  1. Nothing lower than 7x.
  2. Nothing higher than 10x.
  3. Exit pupil of no lower than 4mm.
  4. Place a high premium on field of view (both real and apparent) - Try to get the widest you can in whatever magnification you choose.
  5. Don't be unduly lured by ultra-lightweight binoculars.  They are nice for some applications but, don't underestimate the value of having a little weight to help stabilize the image - especially after hiking a long way or sprinting to get into position.

Monster, not sure where in California you hunt or how you hunt? What Lucznik says about "factors" holds true for me. 7x is just not enough to cover everything we do out here. I have 7x42's and I use them the least, when I do it's only for specialized purposes. I use my 10x42's about 90% of the time followed by my compact 8x32's.

Edited by mike650 - December/22/2008 at 18:36
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 20:04
Well there you go MONSTER lots o' good info to say the least.   Yippee
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 20:28
Yep thanks everyone for your input
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic