OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

meopta vs ziess??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyatt62295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: meopta vs ziess??
    Posted: December/21/2008 at 19:48
Thanks in advance for any help on this... I was given a 7mm-08 Tikka T3 by my Grandmother (I am 14) I have to buy the scope. I have always heard you get what you pay for with scopes, and since this will be a gun I will keep from now on, I want to put something special on it. I have been saving for awhile now and have up to about $1400 to spend.
My Dad has a Meopta 3-12x56 meostar and he says he still is not sure about it. (says it still doesn't seem to suit him). I don't want to overspend but I like the Ziess Conquest 3-12x56 30mm  and the Zeiss Victory 2.5 - 10x50 and am still considering the Meopta 3-10x50. I hunt in Ga. mostly fields and some woods, and go to Nebraska once a year
Thanks again for any help you can give me on this
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 20:23
well sir for $1400 you will for sure get a very nice scope! there is absoulutely nothing wrong with a zeiss victory very nice scope, if you buy meopta buy an r1.

Edited by pyro6999 - December/21/2008 at 20:27
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 20:46
If I was scoping a light petite gun like a T3 I'd opt for a less bulky 1" scope.  The Conquest would serve you well if you're already considering those.  I don't like the way a bulky scope can ruin the feel of a hunting rifle.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 23:00
Congrats!  You have a special Grandpa......... just like mine, mine bought me a Rem. 1100 shotgun back in 1981 and I was the happiest kid I knew that fall!  Whatever you do, don't EVER sell or trade that rifle!

Now to your question.  here are a few suggestions:

3791 Swarovski 3-9x36 American Light Weight 52040, Matte finish, one inch tube, plex reticle, fast focus eye piece, resettable windage & elevation, light ring marks. $887.00 $649.95
9193 Swarovski 1.7-10x42 Z6 59214, Matte finish, 7A reticle, 30mm tube, fast focus eye piece, reseatable windage and elevation, likew new condition $1,965.00 $1,499.95
7257 Zeiss 2.5-10x42 Diavari VM/V 5216719908, Matte finish, #8 reticle, 30mm tube, fast focus eye piece, light ring marks, rub mark on occular end, factory certified refurbished, lifetime transferable warranty. $1,703.00 $1,199.95
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 23:07
btw....... where do you hunt in Nebraska?
take em!
wyatt62295 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyatt62295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 06:23
my grandpa and 5 of his friends own a 4800 acre ranch near fort robinson
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 09:26
Holy Mackeral, Andy!!!  $1400 to spend on a scope???!!!!  Oh, boy!!   Buy a Kahles and then keep the rest of the money for another RIFLE!!  Bucky    
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 10:37

Do you have a good set of binos?

take em!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 11:01
Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

If I was scoping a light petite gun like a T3 I'd opt for a less bulky 1" scope.  The Conquest would serve you well if you're already considering those.  I don't like the way a bulky scope can ruin the feel of a hunting rifle.
............In agreement with Horsemany on this one!

Meoptas, even though they have great glass, are heavy and bulky. The Zeiss, for weight would be a little better to tote around.

I`d be more inclined to look at the Swaro American series for the better handling and feel on that T3. A 40mm objective or less, would look much better on that rifle than say a 50mm or 56mm. It will reduce the profile, the weight and the expense, even though you have $1400 to spend.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 11:35
if he spends a lot of time in a tree stand weight wont be an issue, im guessing in hunting fields and woods of georgia, he will be in a stand of some sort, if he wants a top shelf victory let him get it, he will be spoiled for life but that fine.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 11:55
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

if he spends a lot of time in a tree stand weight wont be an issue, im guessing in hunting fields and woods of georgia, he will be in a stand of some sort, if he wants a top shelf victory let him get it, he will be spoiled for life but that fine.
.......................For that T3 rifle though, whether hunting from a stand or not, I`d still opt for the looks and feel of the $800+ 3-9x36 Swaro American and save or spend the difference on something else. If one cannot get the job done with that Swaro, then it won`t happen with anything else either!  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 11:57
the victory is a better scope than the american, squeeze the american is the equiv of the kahles kx
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 11:59
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

the victory is a better scope than the american, squeeze the american is the equiv of the kahles kx
........I know that! But if it were me, I`d go the Swaro and do something else with the $ difference.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 12:00
thats fine, then get a zeiss conquest and a pair of vortex razor binos
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 12:03
Some people want really nice glass Squeeze even though you don't think it is necessary. 

I would save up a little more and get a Swaro z6 1.7-10x42 if it were me.  You are already almost there, might as well get the best since your spending that much anyway.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 12:05
thats my thoughts, buy the best you can afford
you only need to save another $400 for a z-6

Edited by pyro6999 - December/22/2008 at 12:09
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 12:09
The Victory is better optically than the Swaro American. But is it that much better to justify an additional $700?? A 44% increase? Are the Victory`s optics 44% better than the Swaro`s?.....Nope!...........As with all high end scopes, the percentage of price increase is well and far above any percentage of optical improvement.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 12:10
Well, duh.  But for some people it definitely is, just not for you.  Your happy with your VX3 and comparable scopes, and that fine.  But some of us are not and want much better glass.  He wants a great scope so he should get a great scope.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 12:12
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

The Victory is better optically than the Swaro American. But is it that much better to justify an additional $700?? A 44% increase? Are the Victory`s optics 44% better than the Swaro`s?.....Nope!...........As with all high end scopes, the percentage of price increase is well and far above any percentage of optical improvement.

is a vx3 worth 50% more than a 4200 elite??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 12:12
LMAO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic