OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon
    Posted: December/21/2008 at 19:19
Okay well i am currently looking at the Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40mm for my 300 wsm.  so tell me what you think about it and if you know anything better with the BDC in the same price range then please tell me.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 20:21
nothing compares, i have one on a .280 rem and i have a monarch without the bdc on a 6.5rem mag and they are excellent scopes. and for $199 you cant beat it.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 20:34

Great scopes but I don't like that HEAVY reticle.  Another thought would be try to find an Elite 4200 in 3-9 for $250

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 20:35
heavy??? the zeiss conquest  zplex is heavier than the bdc is. the eye relief on a 4200 isnt what i consider good enough to be on a 300mag, im glad i had a nikon on mine other wise i would have got bitten every time i shot it.

Edited by pyro6999 - December/21/2008 at 20:36
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 20:41

Oh boy!!!!  Here we go again.  I own a BDC and Zeiss Zplex reticle and I can tell you the BDC is much thicker than a Zplex.  A Zeiss Zplex has the same center subtension than the fine crosshair according to Zeiss customer service.  A google search on the BDC will show discussions where the thickness of the BDC is questioned.   I didn't make this stuff up.

The BDC works well for practical shooting but it's a wee bit thick for fine bench work IMO.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 20:46
maybe going up and down it is but your not comparing apples to apples there either, one is a ranging reticle the other is a standard one. i own a bdc also and have spent a fair amount of time with the zeiss as well, and for the price difference i would take the bdc all day, in my eyes the bdc doesnt bother me at the range at all, it took some getting use to though.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 20:52
The difference between eye relief on the Elite and Nikon is .3".  3.3" of the Elite should be enough eye relief for a 300 Mag IMO.  In fact I use scopes with that much or less eye relief on my magnums.  IMO the 4200 has better optics as well.  Although I'm happy with my 2 Monarchs and one I still shoot competitively with. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 21:40
  i disagree with you my 300win has 4" of eye relief and with full house handloads thats almost not enough. if you read enough other members posts in here you will see that a very strong majority feel that the 4200 and the monarch ucc are to close to call and the new monarch is better than both.

Edited by pyro6999 - December/21/2008 at 22:02
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 22:06
Pyro

I thought through my readings here the new Monarch's use the same glass as the older ones.  I have one of the old and 1 new and I notice no difference in resolution, clarity etc.

And yes I know most people consider these scopes equals but I think I explained I ran my own real world tests and that was NOT the opinion of EVERY person who looked through both.  I'm speaking from experience not what I've read here when I compare the two.  Have you conducted any tests?

I also prefer the Bausch & Lomb factory in Japan to whatever new facility Nikon has moved to AGAIN in the Phillipines.

Edited by Horsemany - December/21/2008 at 22:08
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 22:09
i have spent enough time with my 4200 my monarch my team primos and a borrowed conquest to know that after two consectutive weeks of evening testing i could only say that the conquest was a hair and i mean a thin grey one better than the other two, other wise no i cannot see any real "measureable" difference.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 22:12
That's sound accurate from what I saw too.   The difference was not striking.  The biggest difference I could see was a better ability to read text at 100 yds.  At dusk we saw little difference although the Elite was 40mm and the Monarch is the new 6-24x50 so the Monarch had a significant advantage.  We all called it a wash for low light performance.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 22:28
thats pretty much the way i saw it as well, the thing i noticed was that the conquests reticule was a little easier to see in the darker times than the rest. i dont pay attention to reading text i guess i havent ever seen an animal walking through the woods with a newspaper tacked to there bodyBucky i can see where competitive shooting you would want that type of clairity but for me i guess im not real worried about it.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 22:46
sounds like you two kissed and made up!  Now back to our regular scheduled program...... You won't find a better "value" than the team primos!  Unless you are willing to spend quite a bit more $$, buy the primos and start blastin! 

We like to see pics too...... so when you get her put together, let us have a peek!
take em!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 13:10
I also think the Primos has great glass, its a shame they had to ruin it with the BDC.  I'm not saying the BDC isn't usefull, I just think the standard cross hair is better in most situations.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 13:15
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I also think the Primos has great glass, its a shame they had to ruin it with the BDC.  I'm not saying the BDC isn't usefull, I just think the standard cross hair is better in most situations.

me too jeff i wish they would have done a standard nikoplex!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic