OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Difference between Leupold's VX III & Mark 2?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difference between Leupold's VX III & Mark 2?
    Posted: December/21/2008 at 14:29
With the reduced prices in Leupold vx III's I decided to give them a look.  Then I noticed that the Mark 2 scopes are in the same price range, some even lower.

What are the differences between the two?  Since the Mark 2's are tactical, does that mean they have more consistent tracking?

Thanks for your help.Excellent
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 14:43
The Mk 2`s don`t have the gold ring like the VX3`s, which I suppose being all black, looks more stealthy and tactical.

For most of not all hunting purposes, I really can`t see any advantage that the Mk 2 tacticals would have over the VX3`s.

What would look the best depends on your rifle and your personal preference.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 14:53
But that Gold Ring may spook the game into the next county!!  Wink    Ya have to be careful of that!!  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 15:03
The Mark 2 being a tactical scope may have a different warranty than the gold ring "full lifetime warranty and guarantee" which is something to consider.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 15:21

I don't remember for sure, but I "think" I read that the coatings used on the Mark 2's are the same as the VX 1 or maybe the VX 2.

With that somewhat clumsily stated, the VX 3 will have better optical qualities than the Mark 2 fo 'sho.  

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 15:23
The Mark 2 uses the VX-II lenses and erectors. The VX-III's use the better "index matched" lenses.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 15:24
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

The Mark 2 uses the VX-II lenses and erectors. The VX-III's use the better "index matched" lenses.

Yeah, what he said.......Wink
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 15:25
There you go..

better glass and warranty on the vxIII's. Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 15:31
Thank you!  I try not to get caught up in all the "Tactical"-type jargon without asking first.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 15:32
get a mk4 if you want a loopie tac scope
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 15:41
I don't necessarily care about a tactical scope, I just want something with tall target knobs and great repeatability in this price range.  I prefer to have a tall knob to adjust for long range shots, as opposed to a BDC reticle.  Just personal preference.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 15:46
exactly how much are you looking to spend??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 15:49
I'd like to keep it in the $600 range.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 15:49
and what is the power range your looking for??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 15:53
Something up to at least 12X.  14 or 16 would be fine if that's what it came with.  I would like to be able to dial it down to 4 or 5.  6X might be too much for some of my shooting.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 15:58
wow this is going to be a tough one, the target knobs really limit the choices and they arent cheap for a good scope
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 16:04
Would I be better off buying one without target knobs and sending to the manufacturer to have them installed?  I know Leupold does this to both knobs for about $100.  Does anyone else do this?  I don't mind buying one without them as long as it can be retro fitted.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 16:19
You can buy direct from the Leupold Custom Shop and have them install any one of several different turret options and reticle choices. Adding later on won't save you anything really because Leupold has fixed pricing through it's dealers. The Mark 2 is just a VX2 with target knobs. I don't believe the tactical scopes have any different warranty than every other Leupold scope. Leupold has one of the best warranties and customer service departments in the business.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 16:28
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

I don't believe the tactical scopes have any different warranty than every other Leupold scope. 

Yeah, I've never heard of the tactical line having less warranty than the other Leupold products either. Not sure how we got off on that road.  
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 16:37
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

You can buy direct from the Leupold Custom Shop and have them install any one of several different turret options and reticle choices. Adding later on won't save you anything really because Leupold has fixed pricing through it's dealers. The Mark 2 is just a VX2 with target knobs. I don't believe the tactical scopes have any different warranty than every other Leupold scope. Leupold has one of the best warranties and customer service departments in the business.

Buy straight from the factory?  Does Leupold match SWFA prices?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic