OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is It Strong Enough?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varmintcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is It Strong Enough?
    Posted: December/21/2008 at 00:34
I have a Remington Model 700 in  300RSAUM, A friend gave me a Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 scope that he no longer needed. Will this scope take the pounding this caliber will dish out?
Moon Labe
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 08:26
The trophy line is fairly stout, only time will tell if it holds up.  If it were me, I wouldn't want to chance it, range and hunting time are to valuable.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 08:27
maybe for a little while, a friend of mine had one on a .270win wby vanguard and it lasted him a couple of weeks then it wouldnt hold zero, i have one on my .22-250 and its been there for a year but thats hardly a kicking rifle. your probably going to want to step up to at least the legend line if not the 3200 elite line to be safe.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 08:33
Ditto.  I'd look at the Elite 3200, that Pyro mentioned....or a Nikon Team Primos (which I like a little better)
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 08:43
yes the team primos is a good one also, i really like mine
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 08:51
I give that Trophy a good year of pounding before it starts to do the two-step.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 09:49
I know several folks that have'em on 30-06's and so far--no issues with 5 years or more  years of service ..However, I am talking about 20 rd.s a year for them ....

I have one on my son H&R 223 and it works just fine ,, but for your 300, I'd probably move up to a 3200 Elite, Primos Monarch or a 4200 elite 3-9
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 09:59
It may, It may not. I can't argue with the advise you've been given here. That is a rather notorious kicker that you are shooting. I would stay with the 3200, or 4200 Elites, and the Nikon Monarchs (Primos is a Monarch), unless you have the means to pony up a bit more.
Then again, you may be lucky and get a scope that will hold up just fine. I can't say that I trust the newer Banners which are lower than the Trophy line. I do have an older Banner on a 300 Mag and it's been doing just fine for quite a few years now. And well over 600 rds sent down range.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 10:52
Since it was a free-bee to you, milk it (at the range only) until something gives out on it. I wouldn`t take it on a hunt though. You wouldn`t want to take the chance of losing zero between your sight in shots and your kill shot.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic