OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

12-36X80LU - Is this any good

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SF03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12-36X80LU - Is this any good
    Posted: December/20/2008 at 19:32
Hey guys,

I want to buy a ATN 12-36X80LU Scope for my 50 Cal BMG.

What do you guys think?  My budget is around 1K....a christmas gift for myself Wink
TailHunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TailHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 19:42
This scope is a good choice, there is not a lot of scopes that can handle the kick of a .50 Cal. My buddy has it on his Beratte .50 Cal and he likes the Bullet Drop Comp feature that compensates up to 1000 yards.

Please don't link other optics vendors on this forum.
Thank you, cheaptrick.

Edited by cheaptrick - December/20/2008 at 20:02
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 19:51
IF you just want something big and heavy, it is a good choice.  I have the 6-18x65 and it has pretty OK glass, has held up well to a 30-06, good low light capability, illuminated reticle is good, BDC and range finding are right on.  HOWEVER, I went through six (6) scopes before I got one that worked properly.  Did I say it is HEAVY?  You appear to be trying to get a lot of features for moderate price for a big gun.  I am not sure it will hold up.  Even though mine has been good on the -06, I would not put it on a 50.  It has a big footprint that is obnoxious after a while.  I shoot 1/2 MOA and sometimes better with mine, but I am still not in love with it.  It is OK.  Did I mention it is heavy and bulky?  
You can get an IOR 2.5-10 for a little over $1k, which I believe, will serve you better.  I have used this model and would choose it any day over the ATN.  However, if you just want an ATN, I'll make you a great deal on a 6-18x65Big Smile
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 20:22
I say you buy Kickboxers ATN and then he can pick up something more useful.

I hate to be the one to throw some reality into the mix but If I was going to scope a 50BMG I would put a $299 Super Sniper  16x on it.   I mean really just how much do you think you are going to get to shoot it at $ 6. + a round.  I'd spend a grand on a scope for a .308 or a .223 because you can shoot them all the time and  get the full enjoyment out of it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 20:32
I don't have any problem with that comment, either.  
The Super Sniper would make be an excellent choice, I think.  While I have not personally used one, I have done a LOT of research and talked to field users.  They like them, far more likes than complaints.  For the price, I would certainly try one before jumping on a $1000 scope.  Even IF the SWFA warranty service wasn't so good, you could get three Super Snipers.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 09:17
I like the option for Kickboxers sake for sure.
If you want a good scope for that kind of money with a big power range. Do yourself a favor and get a Bushnell 6500 Elite.
IOR also can be a very good choice in the 6-24 50 with the MP-8 reticle.
There is in my opinion no bigger waste of money than to spend that much on an ATN. They are a par at best scope.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic