OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tikka T3, Sako A7, or Browning X-Bolt????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matrobw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tikka T3, Sako A7, or Browning X-Bolt????
    Posted: December/20/2008 at 16:40
I have decided to go with a 25-06.  Always wanted one so I am getting one. 

I have narrowed my choices down to 3 rifles I want to pick from.  Want to stay under $1000 and want to keep it light for carrying in the field.  My choices are:

1.  Tikka T3 Stainless
2.  Sako A7 Stainless
3.  Browning X-Bolt

I have been reading so many reviews and posts my eyes are about to bleed.  However I will choose from one of these. 

Tikka - I own a whitetail hunter and the thing is a tack driver.  I love it, the most accurate rifle I own so I do have some brand loyalty even though I don't really like the looks of the T3 compared to the Whitetail.  Lightest gun, been around a while and proven.  Cost $548

Sako - Well it's a Sako.  Lots of good write ups and 5 shot MOA guarantee.  The Tikka has a 3 shot, and mine does shoot better than that.  Bases are already provided and its light.  Like the steel feed clips on the magazine. (I have no problem with polymer magazines or gun parts.)  Cost is $850

Browning - Another new gun.  Nice recoil pad, polymer mag holds 4 I believe.  Nice action smooth, (not as smooth as the A7 or Tikka but good.)  Made in the good ole...........Japan.  Feels good when put to my shoulder.  Cons - hard to find bases and few ring offerings, new model so there might be some kinks in it (like the Sako)  Cost $830

I really think I am leaning towards the Tikka partly because of the cost and because I know they are good shooters.  I can take the $300 I save on the gun to upgrade the glass and maybe have some left over for ammo.

My question to the experts here is:  Does anyone have much experience shooting these rifles and what are their pros and cons. 

Thanks and good shooting
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 17:05
They are all realy nice rifles .I my self have a sako and love it except for the fact its a 30.06.
not my fave on chamberings,  the tikka is a sister to sako and maybe just as good ,go with it and scope it appropriately.Smile
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 17:12

Great question.  I'm in the market for a similar type of setup in 300WM.  I got rid of a Tikka T3 Lite that was a tack driver.  I can't say enough good about the gun.  I had a brake installed that I didn't care for, so I sold it.

I also own a Browning X-Bolt, and it's hard to beat.  I'd feel better about this gun if it had better glass, but I don't want to screw up the accuracy I've got drilled down.

I'm also looking at the Sako 85 Finnlight and Kimber 8400 Montana, but the price has me a little hesitant.  I'm looking forward to reading the responses to your question.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 17:19
REMF, the KIMBER on my list too!
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 19:01

Yes, I also failed to mention the Remington Alaskan TI, but now we're talking more than a little jump in price.  It has the 24" barrel like the Tikka, and it's even a little lighter than all of the ones mentioned here. 

I have a Remy 700 SPS Buckmaster.  It's too heavy, and 1 MOA is all I'm able to get out of it.  I'd hate to spend that kind of money on the Alaskan TI to just have a 1 MOA rifle.
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 19:04
Oh, one more piece of info on the Tikka...

It sounds great that rings are included when you purchase the gun.  Do yourself a favor.  Immediately throw them in the trash and go buy a set of Talleys.  The rings that come with the gun are horrible.

Again, my $0.02: Tikka is a GREAT rifle for the dough.  The rings are garbage.
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 19:19
Looks to me like you have them ranked in the right order.  With Tikka being #1.   I'd save the rest of the cash for an upgrade on glass.

Does the stainless T3 have a plastic trigger guard??? 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 21:37
i would take the tikka, sounds to me like you already like there products and if your confident in the t3 setup by all means continue to use it until you are given a reason to switch.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 00:16
Originally posted by REMF REMF wrote:

Yes, I also failed to mention the Remington Alaskan TI, but now we're talking more than a little jump in price.  It has the 24" barrel like the Tikka, and it's even a little lighter than all of the ones mentioned here. 

I have a Remy 700 SPS Buckmaster.  It's too heavy, and 1 MOA is all I'm able to get out of it.  I'd hate to spend that kind of money on the Alaskan TI to just have a 1 MOA rifle.

I like the Remmy TI too but yeah now your talking close to 2k.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 12:21
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i would take the tikka, sounds to me like you already like there products and if your confident in the t3 setup by all means continue to use it until you are given a reason to switch.

+1 Thunbs Up
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 15:06
Wow...I just looked up the Sako website and discovered that their rifles have ......umm............gone up in price.........Shocked  [ $1700 for a Sako 85 walnut???]   Shocked

If I were going to make your choice of those three I would grab the Tikka.  [ of course, I like wood,  but that's another story....] 

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 23:46
you can get the Tikka in wood.  And here in the midwest, you can get wood (maybe laminate) with stainless as well. 

For you guys that have shot the Tikka, how does the smallish port on that gun work?
take em!
geezer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 09:39
I've had a stainless T3 Lite for around three years now.  It's easy to tote and it has shot everything that I have put in it reasonably well.  So far, the stuff that it didn't like still shot 1 .5" three shot groups @ 100 yds.  The stuff it likes will shoot 3/4" or better.  The small ejection port has not been a problem for me.  The only criticism that I have is the factory supplied rings - I would also recommend installing quality aftermarket rings as previously mentioned. With the experience that I have had with my rifle, I would not hesitate to save the $300 and use it to upgrade the rings and scope.  
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2008 at 17:14
I wouldn't mind getting one in 6.5X55 Swede with a wood stock!
take em!
geezer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 08:38

My T3 is a stainless/synthetic Swede.  The blued/wood version also looks nice.  I could warm up to a stainless/laminate if it didn't weigh 7 3/4 lbs(plus I haven't seen on chambered for 6.5X55). 

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2008 at 11:18
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

I wouldn't mind getting one in 6.5X55 Swede with a wood stock!

me too!!!  Bucky     
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
matrobw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matrobw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 05:51
I have pretty much decided on going with the Tikka.  Didn't get enough info to convince me that the browning or the sako would be significantly better than the Tikka.  
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 06:02
  GREAT rifle in a REALLY GREAT cartridge! Now what ya gonna scope it with?

til later
matrobw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matrobw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2008 at 18:30
I have a Zeiss Conquest 4X16 just waiting to go on it.  Should be a nice rifle out to 400.  We shall see.
matrobw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matrobw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 17:05
Well change #1.  I drove down to Whitakers gun shop in Owensboro, KY this afternoon.  I wanted to see what they had and compare the three rifles I discussed buying the other day.  I got to handle the x-bolt, tikka and the sako.

Well long story short I ended buying the Sako A7 in 25-06.  The price the had was wayyyyyy below what I have seen on gunsamerica, able, buds, and a feww others.  I walked out the door with it for right at $650.  I couldn't pass up that deal.  Besides...it's a Sako.

The action on the browning just wasn't as smooth as the other two rifles.  The recoil pad is nice and soft, but I plan on putting a limbsaver on the Sako right after I put the glass on it.  The checkering on the forearm was in the wrong place for me and didn't feel good in my hands.  But mainly the action didn't come close to the other two.

I loved the Tikka as well but they didn't have it in the 25-06 I wanted.  They had it in the Hunter with the walnut and it was very pretty.  The action is silky smooth and it fit really nicely.

But when I handled the Sako I really like the action much smoother than the browning and just marginably smoother than the Tikka.  The gun really felt nice when I held it up and it is very light.  The checkering is in the right spot for me so it felt very comfortable.  I like the metal tips on the magazine and they also offer a 5 round magazine for it as well.  The cost of the magazine there was $52 or thereabouts.

Anyways I will be putting the Zeiss Conquest 4X16X44 tomorrow and will take some pics and post them.  I am thinking this should be a fine shooter.  More to follow.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic