OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Please explain coatings/ How is Barska

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffery8mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please explain coatings/ How is Barska
    Posted: December/19/2008 at 11:50
Will someone please explain to me the coatings for riflescopes.  I think I know that Fully Multi coated is best, but what about the other designations? What is their order of good better best??
Also, tell me a bit about the Barska line of scopes, particularly the 3x9x40 Huntmaster.
I have a need for a less expensive scope for a rifle that will not see much action.  I have better Bushnell glass on my hunting rifles.  Please dont turn this into a buy this not that threadSmile. I seek info on the barska line only.

Jeff
With proper care and maintainance, the human body will last a lifetime!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 11:51
you really sure you want a  barska??

go to this page, and scroll down a ways there is a brief description of the different types of coatings

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5027

Edited by pyro6999 - December/19/2008 at 11:53
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Jeffery8mm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffery8mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 11:56
Pyro, dont know. that is why I ask about them.  Give me your thoughts.  There is a Bushnell Banner on the sample list.  It has multi coated glass, the barska has fully coated. Which is better, both are in the range I am looking for.
Jeff
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 12:00
You didn't tell us what you are putting it on or what you will use it for.  However, in any case, Barska will be a crapshoot.  My personal experience has been on the "snake eyes" side, but I know people who have used them and liked them.  The glass is only acceptable, not very good in low light, internals are subject to damage by moderate to heavy recoil, CS (from what I have heard) is not bad.  Are you sure you want a Barska?  The deal cannot be so good that if it breaks on you after 10 rounds it was worth it... unless it is free.  

Based on your info above, go with the Bushnell.  

Edited by Kickboxer - December/19/2008 at 12:05
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 12:03
so you wanna spend like $50 is what your telling me? multicoated is better than fully, so i would tell you to buy the bushnell
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffery8mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 12:04
actually it is going on a 30.06 handi rifle that I just bought secondhand.  Not gonna be my number one shooter at all. 
thanks
Jeff

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 12:08
i dont know how well any of those cheaper scopes with hold up to 30-06 recoil, but i would strongly advise you to stay away from barska and bsa
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 12:14
he Handi Rifle doesn't provide much in the way of recoil reduction.  30-06, while not excessive, has a bit of a punch.  My 30-06 which has less felt recoil than the Handi, did this to a Blazer (cheap)scope in 4 rounds.  Will not zero any longer.  

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 12:15
oops!!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 12:43

Barska has been a subject here many times.  Performance really hit & miss with a tendency to the negative.  Optical performance on those that did not break was marginal.  Much better choices elsewhere but you did ask not to turn this into a "buy this" thread.

Use the Search tool and type in barska - be prepared for a lot of reading.

God save the Empire!
geezer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 12:51
Although I have no personal experience with the Barska line of scopes, I have read many reviews and these seemed to be all over the map.  Some people said that they were great and an excellent value, but I do not know what they are comparing them to.  Others were not so happy and sited focusing problems, tracking problems(while adjusting and with movement afterwards), and failure to stand up to normal use. 
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 12:53
   I just weighed a .30-06 Handi-rifle w/o scope + rings and sling + swivels.  Right at 6.75lbs.  I definitely wouldn't be going with too cheap of a scope!

til later
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffery8mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 13:11
I think the Banner on the samplelist is going to be the choice in this matter.  I really appreciate all of the input from you guys.  The bushnell line has done well for me in the past.  I could just buy the barska from my local gun shop.  He touts it as having a lifetime over the counter warranty.  Just thought I would try to support the locals, but I also got to look out for me!!!
Jeff
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 13:14
I have an older model banner on a 300 mag. It has done well for me. Don't expect too much from one and you'll be very happy with it. STAY AWAY from Barfska. There is just too broad of a spectrum in QA/QC with them.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 13:43
My experience with Barska is not good. Riflescopes, spotting scopes, you name it. Avoid them like the plague.

I would feel more comfortable buying something like this. But it's your money. I just offer opinions. A prostaff is not a "great" scope, but I place more stock in them than anything that comes from Barska.

9662 Nikon 3-9x40 ProStaff 6320, Matte finish, BDC reticle, 1" tube, fast focus eye piece, factory reconditioned $245.00 $129.95

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 14:02
my brother has a prostaff on his .270 browing abolt and that is a light weight rifle that kicks like a 30-06 shooting 180gr bullets and so far after three years now i think it is, he hasnt had an ounce of trouble.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 14:12
I have one (Prostaff) on a 7mm mag. It is a pretty decent scope for the duckage.

Cyborg
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffery8mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 14:27
The banner from the sample list in enroute to my gun safe!!
Thanks guys.  I heeded the Barska advice given here.
Jeff
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 14:29
You're most welcome Jeff.
I hope that it serves you well.

Cyborg
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 14:32
Any time Jeff. Come back again.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic