OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need fixed power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 11:06
Just looked at the Leupold FXII. Not a bad looking scope. It does show that it is lighter in weight, but I don't think weight is a factor for me. If I am going to do any hiking with the rifle, it will be with the 7MM-08 and the Zeiss Conquest.
The .308 will be for occasional hunting and target as well as the small game shooting close to home.
For some reason, I am not comfortable with the Leupolds any more after the one bad experience I had with it.
It's like trying to carry a concealed weapon after it has jammed on you. Just don't have the confidence in it to protect my life.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 11:07
Frank..............Tell us about your bad experience with Leupold. Which scope?
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 11:09

Get Your Popcorn Ready
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 11:28
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

ounces dont matter! i spent 10 years hunting in my home state of wyoming most of my hunting was done over 9000ft of elevation and 10oz doesnt make a damn bit of difference,  i walked 5-10 miles a day hunting elk, with an 8.5 pound gun with a varixII 3x9 on it, do you really think i was worried about ounces?? no, im worried about pounds here had i been carrying a 6 pound gun with that scope would have i been happier? yes would a 7 pound gun made a difference, no. sometimes a little weight is nice to help you stablize a good shot, easier to do with a heavier rifle and scope than it is with a 5 pound noodle out there whipping in the wind.
..............Oh yes it does make a damn difference!....You may think there is no difference, but there is! Laws of physics and how it relates to the human body, altitude and gravity there Pyro!

No matter what kind of shape one is in, less weight, regardless of how little the difference, is always easier.

If you would have had a 7.5 lb or an 8 lb rifle with scope on your elk hunts instead of your 8.5 lb rifle, it still would have been easier to a small degree. And for comparison purposes, if you had such a lighter rifle and did the same route as you did with your heavier rifle, you would have physically noticed a difference. All of us would have.

While you were more the able with that 8.5 lb rifle, a lighter one, to one degree or another, would have been easier.   

arguing over ounces of weight makes as much sense as arguing over 50fps and 50ftlbs of energy between two different calibers or rifles, there aint enough difference there to make it matter one bit. the only time one should worry about ounces is when your taking that hunting trip to alaska and you have to meet a weight limit with all your gear so the damn float plane can get off the water, in situations where your going to be carrying the rifle every day for 12 hrs for two weeks, and even then im not worried about 5-9 oz, hell i carry more than that in extra shells in one pants pocket. you can talk about physics all day long, and i dont care ive been there done that, hell i even took my dads m70xtr .243 with a bull barrel on it elk hunting for a week, and that was a 10 pound rifle, was it the funnest thing to carry no, did i manage yes, would have i noticed any difference between an m-8 4x loppie and the 3x9 varixII that is on it still no.

Edited by pyro6999 - December/19/2008 at 11:34
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 11:36
.......and I want at least 6.5 miles of eye relief.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 11:36
me too, those damn .222's really kick!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 11:39
Only have a couple of rifles where I want a little extra relief.  The 444 in the M94 Timber carbine, the 450 in the Marlin guide gun and the 375 RUM.  The rest are no issue with 3" or so.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 11:41
i like a little more eye relief for when im at the range doing load testing and developement, but for hunting i dont notice it much
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 11:47
Its not a matter of argument or as you say, worth the extra worry! I`m explaining that it`s just a plain scientific physical fact, that when less weight is carried around, even though only a few ounces less, either in extra body weight or in other extra packing and carrying weight, it`s physically easier on every human body, yours, mine, and everyone else`s......Period!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 11:50
well if thats big of a deal to you, make sure you take your morning glory before you hit the woods, a man of your size would lose an easy 3lbs of weight by doing thatHorse Poop
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 11:55

well if thats big of a deal to you, make sure you take your morning glory before you hit the woods, a man of your size would lose an easy 3lbs of weight by doing thatHorse Poop
....Very funny!..............An extra few ounces, I`m not worried about and can more than handle it.......Though it does feel better to take a big dump before hitting those woods!...............Down the Toilet................Laugh  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 11:55
hell ya!!! dont need to be thinking about that when a monster is around the bend
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 11:57

hell ya!!! dont need to be thinking about that when a monster is around the bend
..........You got it!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 12:06
Originally posted by frankb frankb wrote:

Just looked at the Leupold FXII. Not a bad looking scope. It does show that it is lighter in weight, but I don't think weight is a factor for me. If I am going to do any hiking with the rifle, it will be with the 7MM-08 and the Zeiss Conquest.
The .308 will be for occasional hunting and target as well as the small game shooting close to home.
For some reason, I am not comfortable with the Leupolds any more after the one bad experience I had with it.
It's like trying to carry a concealed weapon after it has jammed on you. Just don't have the confidence in it to protect my life.

here is what i will tell you frank, you like the 3x9 conquest you bought and you feel real comfortable with it, i will tell you to buy another conquest, in a 4x confidence can make a real difference. i completly understadn what your saying with the cc weapon that jammed on you, you dont want that thought in the back of your head all day!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 15:13
Big Squeeze,
The bad experience I had goes like this:
I purchased a new Ruger M77  and wanted the best scope I could afford on it. I purchased the Leupold Veri X II Gold Ring. Don't remember the mounting rings, but they were also the best I could buy at the time. I am going bacy now about 25 years or so.
Carefully mounted and boresighted the scope. Took the rifle to my 100 yard range and began breaking in the rifle with 80 grain rounds. After shooting about three boxes of different ammo and getting the gun perfectly sighted in at 1" high at 100 yards, I was ready for the big deer hunt. About a week after doing all this with the rifle to sight it in, I went into the woods and still hunted for several hours before the herd of deer came out to graze. Propping my rifle on my leg I was as steady as a rock. First shot had no effect on the deer. Second, third, nothing. I don't have to tell you how confused I was at this point.
Took the rifle home and set up at the 100 yard range again. The bullets were hitting all over the paper. I don't think two holes were even close to one another. I re-sighted the scope to the rifle and hit my mark dead center. Thinking it was now fine I set out to the same spot once again and waited for the deer to come out a graze. Believe it or not, the same thing happened again and again. I never once bumped or hit the rifle on anything to knock it off. Took it back to the range and procedded to shoot at my 100 yard mark. Again, bullets all over the place. By this time I could have bought a new scope with all the ammo I wasted! I even had a friend who is a gunsmith look at my mounting and check it out for me. He had no explanation for what was happening either. Needless to say, I contacted Leupold and got the biggest run-around I have ever gotten from anyone. The blame went from me to the dog, but never to the scope. I sent it back to them and they finally repaired it. By that time I had a buyer for it and away it went. I swore from that time on that I would never own another Leupold again!!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 15:23

Peeker

Wowee.  A real Horror story.  You would have thought that Good-Old-Made-In-The-USA would have sent you a brand new scope and then just thought up an ad campaign to go with it......" We sent this dope a Brand New Scope Even Though It Wasn't Our Fault" or something!!!  Laugh  Instead they gave you a hard time??!!!   Cencored

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2008 at 16:26
I have not had any faith in that brand of scope since. I will not tell you or anyone else not to buy this brand. I am sure they sell thousands of them each year. I can only tell you they will not sell me any more of them. I do not share this story with anyone either. I just told everyone here because someone asked me to share.
If you ask enough people, you will probably get stories like mine about every scope and rifle manufacturer in the world.
A fluke scope, maybe! I do not know, nor do I want to chance it again. Not with all the ammo I shot up in that rifle trying to get things straight.
I was hoping that it was nothing more then my mounting in some way that was causing all the trouble. But when I went to visit my friend and gunsmith and was told my mounting was nothing less then perfect, I was not pleased at all. I really thought I had a nice scope for once. I now use the Zeiss Conquest, Nikon Monarch and Swift Premier. The Swift is a good scope, not great, but for the money and what it is it will do. I am however looking to sell off the Swift and replace that with another Monarch, Zeiss or whatever I can get as well. Right now, I need that fixed power for my .308!

Edited by frankb - December/22/2008 at 11:03
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic