OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

25-284

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 25-284
    Posted: December/18/2008 at 16:52
Any one ever own one of these or any knowledge .I know your going to say why not just a 25-06 well because im just going to re chamber from a 250 imp.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 16:53
6mm or 6.5x.284 would be better
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 16:56
well here the problem $$$$$ and im am not real sure I want to re bore. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 16:58
you will spend more form firing than you would reboring, over time. why not go to a .257robertsAI
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 17:22
Im shooting this 250imp in an encore and its real hard seat bullets out to cram them into  lthe lands to prevent head separation. And I was told the 25-284 would be more forgiving in this forming process. and Im just to the point where I want a new cartridge to play with.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 17:24
if its an encore then why mess around with it? a new barrel is $300 buy a new barrel in another caliber.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 17:27
That is an easy way out I guess. and I have thought of doing a longranger in 6.5-284 any way?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 17:28
that would be a logical choice, since the 6.5x.284 is designed just for that  and brass  is readily available and with the 6.5mm bullets built they way they are its a good choice for that, and a more than able hunting setup
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 17:33
Got a cheap gun or action for sale?Wink
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 17:38
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

you will spend more form firing than you would reboring, over time. why not go to a .257robertsAI

How is that???  You take some .284 brass and neck it down to .257.  Once you prep about 50 cases, that will be sufficient to last for many years of reloading for the rifle.

The .284 case would have greater capacity than even the AI version of the Roberts.  If he already has a rifle with a .257 bore, why would reboring to 6-.284 or 6.5-.284 make any more sense than going the route he's considering?  If he elected to go 6 or 6.5, he'd be better off rebarelling, not reboring.

Given what he has now, if he doesn't want to rebarrel the rifle and wants a fast .25, I think he's selected the best option with the .25-284.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 17:42
I posted before the part about it being an Encore was revealed.  In that case, you would indeed come out cheaper just buying another barrel.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 17:45
Thanks rifle dude thats what I have concluded should I go that route,and because its an imp, blownout, I forget the measurements,thats about the only round I can go I think?

and maybe get about 3300/3400fps? 100 gr bullets.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 18:16
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Thanks rifle dude thats what I have concluded should I go that route,and because its an imp, blownout, I forget the measurements,thats about the only round I can go I think?

and maybe get about 3300/3400fps? 100 gr bullets.

I believe so, yes.
Ted

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 18:31
 Could there be any extraction concerns due to the rebated rim on the .284 casing?

til later
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 18:36
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Could there be any extraction concerns due to the rebated rim on the .284 casing?

til later

I dont think so not with an encore, anyway.HOPE
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 20:48
shouldnt be, you can buy a encore barrel for most of the .284 based cases
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 05:59
  THANKS pyro. Just wanted to head off at the pass any potential problems.

til later
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 12:50
Revisited ..still contemplating on this conversion since the barrel I am going to use is the nicest one I have and it shoots great a re chamber is inexpensive and easy to do, hoping maybe John Barsness will see this thread and give some insight ?

Edited by rifle looney - February/01/2009 at 12:51
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 21:47
Here's my take on it, after having gone back and forth with rifle looney a few times with PM's.

He had the barrel built by another company than T/C. It is not a T/C barrel or a rechamber. He experienced case-head separations occasionaly from the beginning, which to me means a too-long chamber. Then again, the Encore is a break-action rifle, not a bolt, so there has to be a little fudge room for factory brass. He went back and forth with the custom company about this, then eventually gave up.

My take is that the Encore action isn't the best one for fire-forming AI brass. There is just enough spring in ANY break-action single-shot to run into problems.

Plus, there is no reason for the .250 AI in a single-shot--or indeed in a bolt action if you desire anything other than trimming cases less often. It has exactly the same case capacity as the .257 Roberts, which (contrary to some myths) also works fine in a short bolt action.

A rechamber to .257 AI or .25/.284 would work, but the first might result in the same sorts of problems, and both would involve all new brass, relatively expensive dies, etc. All of which makes another barrel in .25-06 seem really attractive.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 21:59
Thanks ..John ,so much for your input on this subject and taking the time to do so. I really appreciate your expertise and knowledge.With that ,I believe I will go ahead and re chamber, as for the expenses I can re coop some of that by selling my current dies and non fireformed brass. again thank you, it has been a pleasure talking with you.

James

Edited by rifle looney - February/02/2009 at 09:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic