OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low light, long distance scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low light, long distance scope
    Posted: December/18/2008 at 08:02
I have a 264 WM that I use for hunting whitetail on power line right-a-ways and clear cuts.  I presently have a Ziess Conquest 3.5-10x44 on the gun and I'm looking for a scope that will give better low light performance.  I have narrowed my search to these scopes: Leupold 4.5-14x50, Bushnell 4200 4-16x50, Nikon Monarch 4-16x50, and a Sightron Big Sky 4.5-14x50.  I would appreciate any insight on these scopes through use or opinion.
BOLIO1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOLIO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 09:08
All are fine scopes...BUT....none would give you any clear advantage over your current scope.

I would think you would need to look at the Kahles CL (Special price thru SWFA).

Also, a 4-12-40 Meopta Meostar would be the best $629 you ever spent. I now have 4 of them and I have found an "affordable" way to see way past legal light. I still own 2 Zeiss conquest and like them, but there is a big difference in low light performance between the Meostar and Conquest.

Swarovski, zeiss' higher line of scopes, and S&B would be better but a very high price tag.

Have fun finding your scope............mark
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 09:35
Plus 2 on Meopta, they are top notch glass at an affordable price.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 10:14
  I'm glad Meopta's were brought up because I have a question about them. Years back I read a story about a hunter of enough well means that he could hunt anywhere in the world he wanted and afford any piece equipment he wanted to use. The scope he chose  was the  Meopta 6x42.  Now I use this forum and SWFA's web sight ALOT for technical info and scope specs because they're THAT good. So my question is,after looking at the eye relief specs on all Meopta scopes and seeing that none exceeded 3.1"(it's not listed for the 6x42),is the eye relief actually that short? I know that the e/r specs for some scopes don't do justice to the scopes actual e/r,and can't understand why a manufacturer would do that, so I'm wondering if that's the case with the Meopta's.

til later
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 10:22
i was looking at them today too and i also noticed that, i would hope thats a typo, otherwise you wouldnt want a scope like that on any rifle that has any amount of recoil
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 10:24
I use mine on a 7mm and had it on a 45-70 and never had a problem.  So I think it is a little more that that.  Probably around 3.5 at least.  And maybe it is variable and that is the lowest point.  definitely a concern though, I feel you there.  But I wouldn't have any worry putting one on a normal hunting rifle.  If you are shooting a large magnum then I would want something in the 4" range.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 10:25
Also I have a butler creek cap on mine and that even takes away a little more eye relief and still I have never had a problem hitting my self with it.  

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 11:18
  I'd really like to be able to check one out. 

Tell me if I'm right here.  More eye relief = less FOV.  As an example the 1.5-6x42 Meopta specs show an e/r of 3" w/a FOV of 64'-21',S&B's 1.5-6x42 shows 3.7" @ 60'-19.5', and my 1.5-6x42 SII specs show an e/r of 3.8"-4"(actually close to a constant 4") w/a  FOV of  50'-15'. As e/r increases,FOV decreases.  So unless I'm missing something I'd say Supertool your right in that Meopta's e/r is more than specs say. When ya don't have access to the scopes themselves,ya gotta rely on specs,extrapolate,and hope the specs are right!
   THANKS for your time and knowledge guys.

til later
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 11:20
I will measure mine tonight when I get home and post what it really is.  (if I remember Bucky)

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 06:59
Doubt you will find anything this good at this price range:

8707 Kahles 4-12x52 Helia CL Multizero 51733, Matte finish, plex reticle, 1" tube, side focus, fast focus eye piece, allows you to zero your scope at five different ranges, close to new condition. $1,392.00 $799.95

take em!
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 10:44
Of the scopes you mentioned in your first post, your Conquest is equal to or better than all of them.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 18:40
Your Zeiss is a nice scope.In your list of scopes I would choose the Sightron SII Big Sky.I own the new Big Sky, perform very well in low light.I compared my Leupold VXIII 3-10x50 and in low light and regular daylight the Big Sky was the winner hands down.I recently used on a deer hunt a Docter optik 3-12x56 which was brighter in low light dark conditions than my Sightron Big Sky.I'm now saving up to buy this scope. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic