OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle scope delima

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle scope delima
    Posted: December/17/2008 at 09:16
 Hi fellas  , I am so happy to have found this forum so that I may get some knowledgeable info about rifle scopes .
I am looking to buy a new scope for my pet .308 mod700 lh. I have settled in on a scope with a bottom power of 3-4x and a upper of 12-16x .
 Here a few questions that hopefully I can get cleared up. (1) Is a 50mm lens only brighter at higher magnification and if so how many more power levels more will it give opposed to a 40mm? (2)   My price range is in the $4-$500 range , and it seems that I could get the bottom of the barrel euro brands or a top of the line Jap scope (4200) what are your guys thoughts. (3) This scope will be used for shots on deer out to about 400yd. in low light  and good light for practice / load development and my question is are lighted recticals practical or reliable. (4)  Side focus is somthing I have not had any dealings with yet is it as functional as traditional AO?  In the past I have always used scopes that were $1-$200  price range and have noticed that the cheaper brands performed as well as the more exspensive ones. Currently I have a 3-9 x40 pentax whitetails unlimited that I purchased used in new condition for $200 . It being made in the USA I thought it would a decent scope but has turned out to be one of the sorriest optically I have ever owned . your comments and help are appreciated  .
The unprepared are the most likely to suffer;    Teddy R.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 09:34
Question 1 - 50mm Vs 40mm

Assuming we would want to try and maintain a 5mm exit pupil for low light use the 50mm will allow you to zoom up to 10X while the 40mm will limit you to 8X.  Whether this is worth any additional weight or higher mounting of the scope above the bore is up to you.  With your stated objective of 400 yds would think a 3-9 would be fine and would allow you to stay with the more compact 40mm objective.

Additionally in a 3-9 you do not need an AO.  Set once and forget.

Edited by Dogger - December/17/2008 at 09:36
God save the Empire!
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 09:37
My quick answer would be to stick with something like the Elite 4200 in 3.5-10x40 or 3-9x40, or a Conquest in 3-9x40.  You do not need anything more than that for any type of hunting scope.  No side focus, no turrets, etc needed for big game hunting.  The conquest would be my first choice.  
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 09:54
porkchop,

I know where you're coming from on this.  True, you don't need anything more than a 3-9x40 out to 400 yards.  But, if you're "a-retentive" like I am about load development, you want a close, clear picture while your working up loads and testing at extended distances.
I'd consider one of these:
SIIB41642 New Sightron 4-16x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope                                                                             New Sightron 4-16x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Target Knobs
SWFA: $548.95

porkchop401 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 10:33
 Well fellas thanks for the info, the extra power and AO is for load dev. and that occasional small critter that lites at or crawls up to the feeder after deer season (a fmj load does very little damage to a fat coon)  ! At lower powers is there any advantage in a larger abjective or is this a way of making up for poor glass/ coatings? 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 10:44
Originally posted by porkchop401 porkchop401 wrote:

Well fellas thanks for the info, the extra power and AO is for load dev. and that occasional small critter that lites at or crawls up to the feeder after deer season (a fmj load does very little damage to a fat coon)  ! At lower powers is there any advantage in a larger abjective or is this a way of making up for poor glass/ coatings? 

a larger objective doesnt always mean it will help bad glass either, a scope with a smaller objective with better glass and coatings is better than a lot of cheap scopes with huge objectives and poor glass, my bro in law has a bas 6.5x24 and after about 12x you can really tell its a cheapo, the view gets very cloudy above 12x
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 10:46
Exit pupil chart.  5mm and above in red.

Objective Diameter MM
20.0 24.0 32.0 36.0 40.0 42.0 44.0 50.0 56.0
Mag 1.5 13.3 16.0 21.3 24.0 26.7 28.0 29.3 33.3 37.3
2 10.0 12.0 16.0 18.0 20.0 21.0 22.0 25.0 28.0
God save the Empire!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 10:53
Nothing helps bad glass. Higher power only magnifies the deficiancies of the poor glass. Better glass will let you use a smaller objective and let you use a smaller lighter scope that will have a lower mounting profile. 
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 11:01
 Dang it fellas, I have hit the mother load in terms information ! As for as a cheap Euro vs. a high end Jap. what ya think, I was looking hard at a Meopta Meostar R1 2-10x50 even though it is a little out of my price range . Is there a scale that scopes can be compared to in terms of light gathering? does a 4200 elite come any where close to these euro scopes? 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 11:20
That Meopta will blow away a Bushnell 4200.  Meopta makes some good glass.  Down side to Meopta is they have short eye relief.  They list it as 3 inches, but it has a little more than that, at least the one I have.  I have mine on a 7mm and have not had a problem with it.  But they are about equal to 4200 eye relief so there you go.  But I think it should be fine on a .308.  Zeiss Conquest would also be a good one.  Probably have a little better glass than the 4200, but not as good as the Meopta.  Meopta make the lenses for the Conquest line.

I had a couple problems with my 4200 this last elk season because of low light.  I could not make out may game good enough with it to shoot in the morn.  If I would have had my rifle with my Meopta I don't think it would have been a problem.  It is only an Artremis 2000 so a Meostar would only be better.

Meopta and IOR in my opinion is about the best bang for the buck you can get in the Euro scopes.  Once you go to Zeiss Divari, Swaro and Kahles you start to hit the wall of diminishing returns.  You start to pay a lot more for that extra 2 or 3% of glass quality. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 11:34
On my favorite Deer and Elk gun I have a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40, the other has a Trijicon Accupoint 3x9x40. Both are GREAT for me NO PROBLEMS. I shot a Deer last year 150 yards last legal shooting light the quality of the scope allowed the shot. Nice 10 point.....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Brock_Brett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock_Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 11:37
Originally posted by huff143 huff143 wrote:

porkchop,

I know where you're coming from on this.  True, you don't need anything more than a 3-9x40 out to 400 yards.  But, if you're "a-retentive" like I am about load development, you want a close, clear picture while your working up loads and testing at extended distances.
I'd consider one of these:
SIIB41642 New Sightron 4-16x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope                                                                             New Sightron 4-16x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Target Knobs
SWFA: $548.95

Have 3 of these exact scopes and have compared against many others. These seem to come to the top most of the time and all the time in there price bracket.

Rob
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 11:46
the sightron no questions asked for life warranty is awesome too
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 17:16
I still think the Conquest 3x9 offer the best bang for buck in the $400-500 range.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 17:18
the more i talk to koshkin about the big sky the more i think my next scope will be one, he speaks very highly of them and they are cheaper than the 3x9 conquest
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 19:25
 How will these compare against other in the price range in the brightness dept?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 19:49
very well
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tundraotto View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tundraotto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 02:28
from what I have read the bushnell elite 4200 is a fantastic daylight scope but suffers in dusk (dim) conditions.  This is due to the lens coatings. 
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 10:51
the elite 4200's that I have (3.5-10x40, 3-9x40) have extremely good glass, and allow shooting past legal hunting light.  Much better glass, light gathering, etc than the VX III I have.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 11:18
Rifle scope delima      

Christmas List 

Roll on Floor Laughing
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic