OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Howa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Howa
    Posted: December/16/2008 at 23:35
Just purchased a Howa M-1500 package deal with the green Hogue stock. The gun also comes with a Nikko Sterling 3.5-10X42 Nighteater. Wondering your opinions on this setup?
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 01:54
For the bucks, the Howa is a darn good rifle. It`s basically a Weatherby Vanguard with a free floating barrel and is very accurate from the box. The Hogue stock which I have on one of my two rifles, is very grippy, is solvent and oil proof, is very rugged and weatherproof, and there are no wood nicks, dings or scratching to ever worry about while in the field. 

I personally, am not a big fan of the Nikko Sterling scopes. Their looks are bulky with more weight and their angled objective bells look funny imo.

Usually when lesser expensive package rifle and scope deals are offered at a good price, there is always cutting of the corners somewhere!

Maybe for your use, the Nikko scope may serve you well.

trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 06:41
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

For the bucks, the Howa is a darn good rifle. It`s basically a Weatherby Vanguard with a free floating barrel and is very accurate from the box. The Hogue stock which I have on one of my two rifles, is very grippy, is solvent and oil proof, is very rugged and weatherproof, and there are no wood nicks, dings or scratching to ever worry about while in the field. 

I personally, am not a big fan of the Nikko Sterling scopes. Their looks are bulky with more weight and their angled objective bells look funny imo.

Usually when lesser expensive package rifle and scope deals are offered at a good price, there is always cutting of the corners somewhere!

Maybe for your use, the Nikko scope may serve you well.

I agree with squeezer 100% Like the Howa, and the hogue. Not so much the Nikko.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 07:16
it's certainly a bulky unit and optically a little lacking ( though not terrible)... Do you have a budget in mind to replace it ...or just looking for an opinion ?? Honestly-there are worse scopes out there , and better ...do you like the scope?
geezer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 08:33
The most important thing that all of the Howa 1500/Weatherby Vangards that I have shot had in common - they are grouped well.  Most shot sub-inch groups @ 100 yds.  The worst shot 1 1/2 ".  Granted that this experience is gathered from only 8-10 rifles and with handloaded ammo.  The only modification that I made was to replace the factory trigger with a Timney.  Although I have no personal experience with the Nikko-Sterling line of scopes, my intuition tells me not to expect even mid-level performance from a scope that is offered in a package and the price difference is not significantly higher than purchasing the rifle alone.  The old adage is definitely true - you get what you pay for.   
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 14:04
Thanks for the replies. I agree 100% that you get what you pay for. Being that I am a full time student I don't have that much money to spend on my shooting and hunting hobby at this time. Maybe down the road I will put a better scope on my Howa. I think that the scope is okay but I haven't had much time behind a really good scope so I don't have much to compare it to. My other rifle has a Nikon Buckmasters scope so right now I have mostly low to mid grade optics so I haven't been spoiled by quality ones haha I'm glad everyone at least has a positive review of the Howa. I will probably put a new trigger on it in the near future
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 14:12
Welcome to OT, Monster.  A buddy of mine bought the same basic Howa / Nikko Stirling outfit in .243 for his son.  I zeroed the rifle for him before he gave it to his son.  I like the rifle a lot, and it shot pretty well, but the scope left a lot to be desired.  It had pretty poor quality optics.  It would probably be a serviceable scope for awhile if money is tight, but there are plenty of good quality, reasonably priced scopes available that I would eventually replace it with something else providing better image quality.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 14:16
What are you talking reasonably priced that would be better than the Nikko?
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 14:17
Monster!.................What part of So Cal are you in? I`m in the Yorba Linda/East Anaheim area. What ranges do you go to?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 14:19
Originally posted by Monster Monster wrote:

thats correct
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 14:20
$200 to $300 range will get you a real nice scope.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 14:21
no doubt there team primos at $199 comes to my mind right away
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 14:22

Monster!.................What part of So Cal are you in? I`m in the Yorba Linda/East Anaheim area. What ranges do you go to?

I live in Whittier. I usually go to Burro Canyon and I've been to Lydle Creek a couple of times. Neither one I really like but I have to go somewhere.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 14:25
Well like I said I got a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9X40 from this site. Spent about $200 off the sample list. Is that a good optic for the money?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 14:26
the nikon team primos for $199 on sale is even better i have a 3x9 buckmaster and the primos is way better!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 14:30
ok ill put that in the memory banks for the next time I'm in the market for a scope thanks any other recommendations?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 14:32
bushnell elite 4200 for $289 is another excellent choice under $300, for more than $300 the sightron sII big sky is a great choice too its $355 from swfa
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 14:46
Cool thanks I'll remember next time I'm in the market for a scope 
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 15:17

I live in Whittier. I usually go to Burro Canyon and I've been to Lydle Creek a couple of times. Neither one I really like but I have to go somewhere.
................Well! Well!....... Out of everyone here on this forum, you live the nearest to me. I also go to Burro and Lydle Creek. Was up at Lydle Creek last week and like Burro Canyon, they have nice metal canopys over the benches now. Not too bad! Burro still has the better benches though.

Last time I was at Burro, someone fired a round above the pistol targets into the brush to the right of the rifle range and damn near the whole hill went up in flames!!.....Laugh......Fire trucks, water dropping choppers soon showed up. Stuck around to watch the show! With all those units coming up, I wasn`t going down!.... 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 15:46

Most any name brand scope in the $150 - $300 price range would be noticeably better.  What I would call "reasonably priced" might be different from your definition, but I think the Nikon Team Primos 3-9X40 @ $200 or the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9X40 @ $290 are both about the best values going in rifle scopes.  Both would thoroughly spank the Nikko. 

For that matter, the Sightron SII 3-9X42 is reportedly very good for the price as well.  I just don't happen to have any first hand experience with Sightron scopes.  However, others on this forum whose opinions I respect immensely speak highly of them, which is enough for me.

Edited to add:  As I was responding to your question, I now see that others answered the question on the following page.  Sorry to be redundant.

Edited by RifleDude - December/17/2008 at 15:48
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic