OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low light opinion for .45/70

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low light opinion for .45/70
    Posted: December/15/2008 at 19:13
Yes, I'm looking for the holy grail of scopes! I currently have an NEF .45/70 Handi rifle  that works really well for brush hunting here in mid-South Carolina. Only two weeks left in the season, so I will be in the market for a light-weight, good low-light scope to replace the Bushnell Banner I currently use.

The Banner has held up surprisingly well on the .45/70 beast. It is pretty clear scope for good daylight, but lacks what I need to sit as long in the swamp as SC law allows. I have a Zeiss Conquest on my .30/30 for stand hunting, but that scope is built like a brick and is nearly as heavy. Any help would be much appreciated!
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 19:39

Budget = ??

riverrat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 19:52
Yeah, sorry, thought about that after I posted. Hey, look anything 500 bucks down is fair game! I got till next August 15th. I like something on the order of the Burris Short Mags. I know they have been discontinued, but like the size and weight!
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 20:20
Are you interested in a sight/scope that takes a battery?  For $500 you can get a pretty nice "red-dot" sight.  
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 20:30
I have an IOR 4X hunter on my 45/70 handi rifle (great gun - especially in states where it qualifies as primitive weapon.  At 4x, you never forget you are shooting a round that drops like [enter your favorite French soldier euphamism here.]
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
riverrat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 20:31
I thought about that, but do like the flexibility that say a 1.5-4.5 scope gives me. Not taking major long shots, but like the magnification when needed. Are the new Burris Timberlines anywhere comparable with the Short Mags? I'm not tied to the Burris', how are the Bushnell 3200's for low-light?
riverrat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 20:33
Rancid, you beat me to the reply! I forgot about IOR. There's a guy here in SC that is religious about showing up at all our gunshows that sells them. Not that I wouldn't but it from SWFA, that just reminded me about how this guy seems very dedicated to IOR's.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 20:36
here is another option
http://www.swfa.com/pc-10609-1511-new-sightron-125-5x20-sii-big-sky-riflescope.aspx
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
riverrat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 20:48
Interesting Pyro! How well do the small objective scopes wok in low light? I have always shyed away from the (mostly from ignorance) but am open to try one!
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 20:55
I like the Burris Signature Safari on my lever 45-70.

No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
riverrat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 21:07
Good option mwyates! Does it gather light well? Thanks for the reply!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 21:12
so so i guess, if you do the math 20mm/5x= 4mm exit, your eyes will do that on there own thats on 5x mind you if you were on 2x it would be 10mm which is more than your eyes dilate, so it has its strengths and weaknesses.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
riverrat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 21:16
I agree! I think that your optin is a very good balance for what I am looking for!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 21:19
thing that is very nice about sightron is they make a pretty nice scope, its right up there with the monarch and 4200 elite and the conquest, and yet sightron has a no questions asked warranty for life if something ever happens.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
riverrat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 21:22
Not only that, I like the light-weight option that the small objective bell scope brings to the mix. Thanks all for the intel!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 23:29
RR..........For your 45-70, definetly stay with a 20 mm straight tubed and lower power variable scope. Better fov`s. Either the Sightron or the VX3 are good choices.

Notice that when you check the weight specs on the 20mm straight tubed illuminated scopes that most weigh 15 oz and more? You gain with better low lite capability, but lose in the weight dept........Compromises! Compromises!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2008 at 11:44
If we are sticking to the low light parameter, my Leupold 1.5-5x20 is not very good in low light at any range. Especially in the woods where cover can interfere with a shot. Even on 4x with a 5mm exit pupil it does not do the job.
I think in a low powered variable you should have at least 25-28mm on your objective lens.
riverrat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2008 at 17:28

I don't know if I had read it somewhere or what, but that has always been a perception of mine that small end bells don't gather light as well. I understand the math as it pertains to exit pupil and my 40 year old eyes are needing more help every day. I'm no advocate of big honking objectives, but like tahqua, have felt the need for at least say a 28mm bell.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2008 at 19:00
The Nikon 2-8x32 would be a good choice. Monarch is fine glass, they are reliable and the eye relief is around 4".
http://www.swfa.com/pc-12680-2201-nikon-2-8x32-monarch-riflescope.aspx
Another good choice is the Leupold 1.75-6x32. I would get the heavy duplex for low light.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-3345-307-leupold-175-6x32-vx-iii-riflescope.aspx

Edited by tahqua - December/16/2008 at 19:03
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2008 at 19:19
+1 for the Big Sky.

Mojo
MOJO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic