OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which scope for 600 yards?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which scope for 600 yards?
    Posted: December/15/2008 at 00:33

Scenario:  You are shooting at clay pigeons stuck on a board at 600 yards.  Which scopes are capable of this?  Just as importantly, how much do you have to spend to be able to do this.

On a side note, I have a Sightron SIISSD 4x16 now but would like to do better without spending Swaro-type money if that is even possible.

Thank you.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 01:53
I would say any mid and upper priced scopes would do this. It is a question of being able to see the target, so probably a 14X upwards magnification. Secondly a matter of the scope holding point of aim or the reticule not shifting. Most mid priced scopes will do that.

So $350 upwards?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 08:00

Here are a few I found on samplelist.com.  Great bang-for-your-buck!

http://samplelist.com/default.aspx?prod_type=1&hide_sold=False

Stock #

Product

Description                                          

Mfg.Retail

SWFA Price

SWFA 20x42 Super Sniper

Matte finish, mil dot reticle, 30mm tube, 1/4 moa target knobs, fast focus eye piece, rear parallax adjustment, ring marks

$800.00

$279.95

take em!
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 11:51
Those sound like pretty good deals, Tip Stick.  But, do Nikons have a good reputation for being able to adjust the turrets, then come back to exact zero???
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 15:33
As far as I know they do...... you might want to post this over in the Target forum or even the tactical forum as they do more of that stuff than hunters do!
take em!
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 17:47
I use this. That way I can use the reticle, or dial the shots in.

How much are you looking to spend. Sometimes a number helps with the suggestions.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 21:03
I'd like to keep it in the $500 to $700 range.

Thanks for your replies.
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2008 at 16:53

Got a buddy of mine that ran 10 in a row on 8" silhouette discs between 585 and 685 yds. using a custom XP-100 handgun 6.5-284 with the simple Burris 3-12x LER/Ballistic Plex at the ITRC in '04.

The Zeiss Rapid Z's would be excellent for this, but to get the most accuracy possible out of the reticle i'd apply it at the optic's highest power, and just match trajectory to reticle subtensions with testing and troubleshooting if necessary. Just be sure ad get an optic with parallax adjustment.

Edited by sscoyote - December/16/2008 at 16:54
Steve
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2008 at 23:18

How does the Rapid Z work?  Is it like a lot of other scopes that are preset for the .308 cartridge and a specific load?
mike4764 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike4764 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 21:53
I would use a 6.5x20x50 leupold LRT. Under $700.00
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2008 at 23:52
Mike,

Funny you should say that.  I just got through checking that exact scope out on SWFA about 15 minutes ago.  With the prices down on the VX-III that looks like a good choice.

Thanks,
Huff
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 05:49
Originally posted by huff143 huff143 wrote:

How does the Rapid Z work?  Is it like a lot of other scopes that are preset for the .308 cartridge and a specific load?

The different Rapid-Z reticles are designed for different cartriges. The Rapid-Z 1000 was designed specifically for the .308. The rapid-z 600 for most non magnum rounds, and rapid-z 800 for magnums. The varmint reticle works with the smaller 22-250, .220 swift. ect. You can check out your load, and how it will work with Zeiss's Rapid-Z calculator. You can adjust where the marks correspond to yardage by adjusting the magnification. It's a pretty slick system. I shoot from 300-700 yards at a 10" steel gong and never touch a thing, and if I miss, it is my fault. I know, my gong is bigger than your clay pigeons, but trial and error, any you could figure it out quickly.

Look for the link to the calculator, and plug in your load. Hit optimize.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2008 at 09:09
Wow!  That looks like a pretty slick system!  I'll go to the Zeiss site right now to see how it works for a .270 WSM.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic