OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

night scope test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guided Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: night scope test
    Posted: December/14/2008 at 10:41
Sometimes I go out on my deck with scopes, not mounted of course, and test them in the available light.  I test them clear/overcast, full moon/quarter moon, dry/wet/snowy ground, etc.  To get a better sample I test those of my friends, too.  Last night I tested a 4x40 Nikon Monarch, a Trijicon Reflex, an old Simmons, and a new Simmons under a thin overcast with wet ground (wet reflects more light than dry ground).
The Reflex was good if I had both eyes open, but useless using only one eye as the blue tint blocked too much light.
The old Simmons was useless in the dim light, despite its large objective.  That old Simmons needed a "seeing eye" dog.  The China made Simmons seemed much better.
The 4x40 Monarch was quite good, allowing me to discern colors.  The reticle thickness was the weakest link.  I could see part of the reticle, but not all.  I could have made a shot on a deer or coyote sized critter at 50 yards, but not on small game.
The Leupold European scopes have the thickest #4 reticles I have ever seen and likely they would work well.  I'm going to try to talk a buddy who has one into letting me test it along side a similar sized Zeiss.
Does anyone else have tests they would like to share?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2008 at 12:07
Did you try the "Optic Reviews and Tests" forum?
take em!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 01:42
There are a couple of tests posted on the forum.
You will have to do a bit of searching and scratching around.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 21:25
I tested three scopes in low light and at night.Leupold VXIII,Nikon Monarch,Sightron SII.The Sightron won the night time test.The Nikon Monarch was good in low light but the Sightron better.The Leupold was only clear during daylight hours.All scopes were 3-9 mounted on hunting rifles used during the hunting season during an overcast sky.If i'm hunting for coyotes the Sightron SII Big Sky is my best scope for that type of low light hunting.      
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 22:36
Originally posted by Guided Bullet Guided Bullet wrote:

I could have made a shot on a deer or coyote sized critter at 50 yards, but not on small game.
What measure are you using to determine this?  What standard?

When you say you  are "testing" scopes, exactly what tests are you performing?  What measurable, repeatable criteria do you evaluate against?  

Just wondering, some specifics would be nice.  

You can resolve trouble seeing the reticle with an IR, but in some cases that introduces additional problems.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2008 at 22:59
Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

I tested three scopes in low light and at night.Leupold VXIII,Nikon Monarch,Sightron SII.The Sightron won the night time test.The Nikon Monarch was good in low light but the Sightron better.The Leupold was only clear during daylight hours.All scopes were 3-9 mounted on hunting rifles used during the hunting season during an overcast sky.If i'm hunting for coyotes the Sightron SII Big Sky is my best scope for that type of low light hunting.      
     Wow, very interesting results. I've found my VXIII to be better in low light  than my pardners Sightron, both of equal power. I think personal eye sight has much to do with this factor as well more than what people think. This is'nt talked about much, but I think play's a big part.
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic