OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

zeiss jena

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: zeiss jena
    Posted: December/13/2008 at 14:55
I HAVE A PAIR OF CARL ZEISS JENA BINOCS,I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE AS A GIFT TO AN UP AND COMING HUNTER ,SHOOTER. ABOUT WHAT DO THESE COMPARE TO AS FOR AS OPTICAL QUALITY.THEY FARE PRETTY WELL TO ME .THEY ARE 8X30 POROS.WITH MONEY BEING A LITTLE TIGHT.I CANT AFFORD TO BUY HIM A NICE UP TO DATE PAIR. BUT I DON'T WANT TO COME OFF AS EL CHEAPO!          THANX GUYS 
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2008 at 15:02

They compare favorably with what I had as an up and coming hunter. Which was nothing! He is lucky. I can't say how they compare to anything else, as I have not been able to find a pair around here. I think they should be pretty fair though, and  useful in the field.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2008 at 18:34
They should come in between the better Steiner models and the Leica surplus.  They just will not have all the coatings and extra clear glass that some models have.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2008 at 08:23
They would compare to present day Docter -Optik aus Jena. They are decent bino's with a collector flair. Most are made tough as well. I don't think you can go wrong as long as they are in good condition.
Derek
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 10:35
Optically, they compare to the 8x30s that sell $200-250. Mechanically, they will outlive us.
Very nice gift, if they are in good condition. As they are not waterproof, the hunter will have to be a bit careful.

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 01:31
Hi

It does actually all depend on the age.
You have two different Zeiss Jena, one that operated until 1945 and then the factory was emptied. What the allied not removed tna dtook to the West, the russians took to the east and left to rust to pieces.

Later there was a different factory with other machinery that was set in service.
That is the east german Zeiss, Jena.
THe quality of those are not bad at all.

Same thing with the quality from the old real factory, the quality is great, but all depending on the age.
The better ones have coatings, and the older have none.
Coating was invented in 1935 by Smakula at Zeiss and was not used immideately at all models.

Technika
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 06:41
Hokan,

Do you see the Zeiss 15x60mm B/GA very often? What is the cost?

Zeiss 15x60mm click here
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2008 at 14:48
Nope they are scarce.
I have only seen a few.

But people here does very rarely have highmagnifiing binoculars.

Technika
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic