OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles scope - multizero?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dm17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles scope - multizero?
    Posted: December/13/2008 at 11:35
I'm a long-time shotgunner, but am looking around to buy my first centerfire rifle. I'm planning on buying a good quality bolt action in something in the .260 or 7/08 range.

From the reading I've done here and elsewhere, it seems that the Kahles Helia CL 2x7x36 on sale at CDNN for $549 would a good match at a great price if I'm willing to accept the uncertainty about future warranty service.

My question is: If I buy this scope, should I get it with or without the multizero feature? My thought was that at these magnifications, and for medium sized game up to max 300 yards or so I probably wouldn't find the multizero too useful, but since I'm totally inexperienced I thought I'd ask for opinions.

Thanks,

Dave
Palehorse View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2008 at 11:45
Inside 300 yards, just say no to multizero.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2008 at 12:10
Terrific scope . have one on my m-70 308 no multizero.Head Bang
Sako Hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sako Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2008 at 16:42

Howdy dm17,

Those calibres up to 300 yards multizero would be superfluous, the CL is an excellent more compact scope.

Zero the piece 1.5" high at one hundred and forget about it.

My recent experience with sending a scope back to Kahles was a good one. It was out of warranty (a ZF95) they refurbished the internals, refinished it and shipped it back to me FOC with a nice letter!!

Regards,
SH

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2008 at 19:22
I have two Cls, one with multi-zero, one without.  To me the multi-zero is to complicated for my personal use.  Some may like it but if I were to due it again I'd skip it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2008 at 22:15
Originally posted by dm17 dm17 wrote:

I'm a long-time shotgunner, but am looking around to buy my first centerfire rifle. I'm planning on buying a good quality bolt action in something in the .260 or 7/08 range.

From the reading I've done here and elsewhere, it seems that the Kahles Helia CL 2x7x36 on sale at CDNN for $549 would a good match at a great price if I'm willing to accept the uncertainty about future warranty service.

My question is: If I buy this scope, should I get it with or without the multizero feature? My thought was that at these magnifications, and for medium sized game up to max 300 yards or so I probably wouldn't find the multizero too useful, but since I'm totally inexperienced I thought I'd ask for opinions.

Thanks,

Dave

read this please, i uh wouldnt recommend mentioning cdnn in here anymore.

Topic: The O.T. Rules
    Posted: 17/January/2007 at 16:37

1.  Keep it clean.  If you have to ask your self whether or not it's clean.........don't post it.  This includes images too, no blood, guts, nudity, etc.  Only respectful "Hero Shots" of harvested game can be posted.  Pictures of bloody game, game hanging or game in the bed of pick-up truck are not respectable.

2.  No personal attacks.  If you think someone is an idiot, (chances are) everyone else does too.  No need to post it.

3.  Do not advertise our competition.  We work hard to gain the respect and support of our customers.  We also offer a 110% Low Price Guarantee.

4.  No religious discussions or politics unless it relates to guns, optics, and or shooting.

5.  PM stands for Private Message.  Do not share PM's without the consent of the sender.

6.  The Optics Talk forum is not to be used as a customer service tool for SWFA customers.  Tracking numbers, Order Status, Credit Card issues, etc. need to be directed to our Customer Service Professionals at 972-617-7056 from 8 a.m -5 p.m CDT or via e-mail at swfa@swfa.com.

7.  For Sale ads are to be placed in Member's Trading Post area only.  Read the For Sale Rules prior to selling.

Edited by Chris Farris - 24/September/2008 at 14:56
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2008 at 10:45

I too don't see much benefit from multizero - but I do see a BIG benefit in buying a Kahles - just buy it from SWFA or samplelist.com.  I have a CL 3-10X50 and its awesome!!!!

take em!
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2008 at 19:38
I have 2 MultiZeros, both 4x12x52's, and I would say that with a 2x7x36 scope they would not be very useful.  The 2 I have are on long distance shooters and they become convenient at 400 yards and beyond.  With a scope on 7 power, aiming at an exact spot will be iffy anyway.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2008 at 20:03

I'd look around on the sample list for a Swarovski....they had a few 3-9x36 AVs for about 650...and I don't think Swaro. is going belly up any time soon.   It makes me feel 'warm and fuzzy' when I have somebody to mail it back to when it craps out (which happens from time to time, no matter who makes it).

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2008 at 23:20
I think the multi-zero would be very good on a rimfire. I have been considering one for my 17 HMR. and a 2-7 is a very good power range for these calibers.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2008 at 23:49
I have a CL MZ 3-10x50
got it for my 308 but it's on a 270 now
don't truly see a need for the MZ with the 270 and am not using it as 99% of my shots are under 300 yards, most under 2

I bought a Swarovski AH 3-10xc42 at the same time and thought the Kahles to have better glass
t
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 11:00
Have a 2-7 on my 22 rimfire.  Does well when going from 50-100 yds.  Haven't tried it beyond that.

Thinking of moving the one on my ML to a 7-30 Waters using diff bullet weights.   Might work well there...
dm17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dm17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2008 at 17:00
Thanks to everyone for the input, and my apologies for my ignorance of the forum rules about mentioning vendors by name. I think I will stay away from the multizero based on the advice here.

Dave

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2008 at 17:04
Good luck and have fun Dave.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic