OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Why does everyone Hate on Leupold?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 14:56
My peeve really has nothing to do with the company, it's employee's or the scopes themselves. It has to do with (some) the owners often looking down on others as if you are anti-American or unpatriotic if you don't own a Leupold. Some, also believe that these are far superior to anything past, present or unlikely future. I have even seen non-Leupold owners being cast as fool hardy, non-serious flat landers. That is what turns me off.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 14:56
Originally posted by nitis nitis wrote:

Now correct me if I am wrond but of the major scope manufacureres build their product stateside?  I think Burris might on their high end stuff but I could be wrong.  As far as I know all lupolds are built here (again feel free to correct me if I am wrong) and in todays economy how important is that?

I guess what I am getting at is as long as there are americans building Leupolds and they continue to offer the custom features that they do I see no reason to look anywhere else for glass.  And until someone offers those options and perks why would I want to do so?

The Zeiss Conquest (assembled in the US) is just as much "American made" as Leupold.  Leupold buys its lenses from Asia, by the way.

Leupold does indeed have an excellent warranty and customer service, and they are the reason their competitors have improved their warranties to in some cases match Leupold's warranty.  They also do offer more options than anyone else, if you need a niche scope or want some custom finish, reticle, etc. 

I have a few Leupold scopes, and I like them.  However, in comparison to their mid-priced competitors, they often don't represent the best cost vs. performance value.  I think in several respects they've become complacent, relying on their name and reputation for so long that their competition has caught up and in many cases, gained a technological edge on them, while still offering their products at the same or lower prices in the process.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 14:59
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

the only rifle i think wears a leupold nicely is a kimber, otherwise. im not big on them anymore. i used to be, but then i decided to broaden my horizons and i dont feel guilty. leupold makes a nice scope i jsut wish they were more affodable. the vx1 should be comparable to a nikon prostaff (price wise) the vx should be in the buckmaster/ 3200 elite category and the vx3 should be in the monarch, 4200 conquest , and so on.
..............Hey! That gold ring on an all black, all weather rifle, doesn`t look too bad either!..........Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
well squeeze i havent seen your rifle. i have a varixII-c silver 3x9x40 on my browning aboltII stainless syn. and it looks nice but there is something about that gold ring that sets the kimbers off.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 14:59
Not a hater of Leupold at all. I have had a couple would still have if not for thieves, I still do own one. I can tell you that for the cost of that 3-9X 50 VXIII a Bushnell, or Nikon Monarch will rub its nose in the perverbial wet spot. We call it like it is around here, nothing more, nothing less. Those that are always accusing us of HATE SPEACH directed at Leupold, generally are the ones that just don't want the truth, or can't handle the truth.
If and when Leupold starts to price competitively with the scopes that are as good and cost less then there can be an argument if the HATE SPEACH continues.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 15:00
i would buy cetain vx3's if they were more affordable, no doubt in my mind
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 15:09

the only rifle i think wears a leupold nicely is a kimber, otherwise. im not big on them anymore. i used to be, but then i decided to broaden my horizons and i dont feel guilty. leupold makes a nice scope i jsut wish they were more affodable. the vx1 should be comparable to a nikon prostaff (price wise) the vx should be in the buckmaster/ 3200 elite category and the vx3 should be in the monarch, 4200 conquest , and so on.
..............Hey! That gold ring on an all black, all weather rifle, doesn`t look too bad either!..........Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
well squeeze i havent seen your rifle. i have a varixII-c silver 3x9x40 on my browning aboltII stainless syn. and it looks nice but there is something about that gold ring that sets the kimbers off.
.................Maybe not in person, but I`m sure you`ve seen it on the Ruger website! The .375 Ruger Alaskan with the 20" matte black barrel and the black Hogue stock!............That 20mm VX3 gold ring kinda looks pretty good! 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 15:23
can you shoot me a link to that picture?? i cant find it
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Palehorse View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 15:52
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 15:53

.........................That link has more crap than the nuclear missile codes!

www. ruger.com
place arrow on "firearms"
click "rifles"
click "bolt action"
click "M77 Hawkeye"
Then scroll down to the Alaskan
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 15:56

.........................That link has more crap than the nuclear missile codes!

www. ruger.com
place arrow on "firearms"
click "rifles"
click "bolt action"
click "M77 Hawkeye"
Then scroll down to the Alaskan
no dice just the rifle no scope

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 16:00
all you gotta do is copy and paste squeeze.  Its not like you have to type the whole thing.  Highlight it all, then hit control c to copy and then come back to this forum and hit control v and it will paste it for you.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 16:04
Originally posted by Palehorse Palehorse wrote:

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/F1207.html
............Thanks Palehorse!............That`s it!...I have that magazine too! After reading that article more than a year ago, I bought the 375 Ruger Alaskan, but without that $1300 or so Leupold though! I just have the lowly VX3. The pics on there, are much better than on the Ruger website!

Anyway! The Leupys look very good, on any all black rifle. 

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 16:06
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

all you gotta do is copy and paste squeeze.  Its not like you have to type the whole thing.  Highlight it all, then hit control c to copy and then come back to this forum and hit control v and it will paste it for you.
..........Thanks!....Palehorse sent a much better link for you, with much better pics than the Ruger site!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 16:07
that picture kinda sucked, its a little to dark for me to fully "appriciate"
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 16:13

that picture kinda sucked, its a little to dark for me to fully "appriciate"
................Oh well! But you get the idea!  
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 16:21
Leupold is the only affordable scope I would put on a dangerous game or heavy recoiling rifle, say anything above .338. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 16:22
really? why not a trijicon??
craig boddington has used a scope like this in africa quite a bit, im pretty sure he used an accupoint on hi leopard hunt he had on tv a few months ago.

Edited by pyro6999 - December/12/2008 at 16:24
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 16:25
Get Your Popcorn Ready
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 16:38

really? why not a trijicon??
craig boddington has used a scope like this in africa quite a bit, im pretty sure he used an accupoint on hi leopard hunt he had on tv a few months ago.
.............That little Trijicon is almost $600! $200 more than the VX3!...Also, there wasn`t enough mounting tube length to suit me to adjust for eye relief. Also, I can`t stand the looks of the ugly off-setting rings, whether over any part of the receiver
or not.

Before I bought the VX3 for my Alaskan, had Trijicon made a lower variable straight tuber with no objective bell, that Trijicon would instead be sitting on my 375.   
zwbonner View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwbonner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 20:40

i would buy cetain vx3's if they were more affordable, no doubt in my mind

which ones would that be???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic