OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Quality Optics Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowerj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quality Optics Suggestions
    Posted: December/11/2008 at 20:41
Im doing some research for optics on my next rifle purchase (Cooper Excalibur in .270). I currently have Leupold VX-3's on my rifles and like them but i know there are better quality optics out there; not that im dissatisfied with my Leupys. Im considering Swarovski American, Zeiss Conquest, Leupold VX-3, and Kahles Helia CL. Something in the 12-15 power range 50mm and $1000 max. Im not necessarliy looking for the best optics but the best value out of these options. (Is a $1000 Swarovski that much better than a $600 Leupold or Zeiss?) Also I would rate importance of qualities for me as 1.mechanics
2.durability 3.glass. Please give me suggestions on which of these scopes you recommend. Preferably those who own of have compared multiple brands.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2008 at 20:47
kahles is excellent for the money check this out but make sure you read the whole first post carefully otherwise it wont make sense.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2008 at 20:50
A Conquest is better than a VX-III.  Zeiss also has a great CS Dept.  I'd look at the Swaro. AVs first and the Zeiss Conquests second.  I own several VX-IIIs and there are better deals for less coin (ie. Bushnell 4200, Nikon Monarchs).
bowerj View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowerj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 08:41

Question on the Kahles: Although I can find the model Im interested in (Helia CL 4-12x52) it seems like they might be discontinued, because not many places carry that specific model. Is there anything to that?

trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 10:07
Here, look at the samplelist.com. Great deals on trade ins and returns/refurb

6858 Kahles 4-12x52 CL Multizero 51733, Matte finish, plex reticle, 1" tube, side focus, fast focus eye piece, allows you to zero your scope at five different ranges, no ring marks, close to new condition. $1,353.00 $999.95

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 10:17
+1 on what Trigger said.  Here is another good deal:

9198 Swarovski 4-12x50 American 52032, Matte finish, plex reticle, 1" tube, ballistic turret allowing for 4 different range settings, fast focus eye piece, like condition. $1,275.00 $999.95
I bought a Kahles CL 3-10X50 off the samplelist and its a GREAT way to buy a high $ scope!  I highly recommend it!
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 10:23
here's another:

8447 Zeiss 3-12x56 Conquest 5214709904, Matte finish, #4 reticle, 30mm tube, fast focus eye piece, light ring marks. $1,190.00 $899.95
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 10:26
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Here, look at the samplelist.com. Great deals on trade ins and returns/refurb

6858 Kahles 4-12x52 CL Multizero 51733, Matte finish, plex reticle, 1" tube, side focus, fast focus eye piece, allows you to zero your scope at five different ranges, no ring marks, close to new condition. $1,353.00 $999.95

for some reason, this one is less:
8707 Kahles 4-12x52 Helia CL Multizero 51733, Matte finish, plex reticle, 1" tube, side focus, fast focus eye piece, allows you to zero your scope at five different ranges, close to new condition. $1,392.00 $799.95

take em!
geezer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 13:17
bowej,

To answer your question concerning Kahles - Legacy Sports International was the importer.  The following statement is on their site:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: With the impending sale of Kahles Optics by Swarovski Optik, Legacy Sports International has chosen to cease the sale and service of Kahles riflescopes and binoculars effective November 1, 2008. For warranty issues, please contact SONA by telephone at 866-606-8779, by e-mail at info@kahles.at or by mail at Kahles Repair, P.O. Box 21004, Cranston, RI 02920-1004 .

That being the case, the scopes are really nice and I decided to purchase the same scope that you mentioned.  I was able to get a quality scope and save some money at the same time.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2008 at 13:59
This would probably fit the bill also. Maybe not quite as nice as the Kahles, but in the same ball-park. Also available with Rapid-Z reticle, if you have been known to take long shots.

Edited by trigger29 - December/12/2008 at 13:59

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
bowerj View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowerj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 12:47
So are the Kahles no longer going to be available after everyone sells what they have in stock?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 12:50
i dont think so.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 13:47
Here's the latest about Kahles Service and Repair.

The 866-606-8779 number is not for SONA, it's for Kahles. There's one Kahles rep here in the states, Herman, and the 866 number is now directed to his home office in New Hampshire. He appears to be very nice guy by the way.

If you need  to send the scope back, send it to Kahles Repair PO Box 21004, Cranston, RI 02920-1004 and not the SONA address
(which is also in Cranston, RI). This PO Box address is a staging area at the US Post Office where about once a week or so (depending on how much product has accumulated) everything is collected by SONA personnel who in turn repackage and send back to Kahles in Austria for repair.

The email address is correct. info@kahles.at

I would suggest calling or emailing Kahles before just sending the scope to the address provided.

Edited by mike650 - December/15/2008 at 21:27
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 15:30
I sure as hell hope they'll still be available.... I love mine..... ok ok ok.... I really like mine!  I love my family, but if you could love an inanimate object, it would be my CL. Wink
take em!
bowerj View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowerj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 20:00
From all ive heard and read i really want the Kahles cl 4-12 especially at some of the prices you can find them at now. Im just really wary of spending that money on something that may be a hastle to repair or repair at all (not that i would expect anything to happen). Might just go with a Swarovski American to be safe.
madvalkyrie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madvalkyrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 21:44
I have nine Coopers with one more pending.  They are incredible rifles deserving of the best glass. I heavily weigh cost vs performance when I buy scopes, research the hell out of them, and buy most from SWFA. Three guns wear Zeiss scopes, three wear Kahles scopes with one IOR, one Nikon and one Leupold rounding out.  Even for the money, the Kahles were way better than anything Leupold make up to the VX-III line...in my opinion.  I actually bought three Leupolds first and ended up replacing them. The Zeiss scopes are a little behind the Kahles but have far more variety for different uses.  The one diminutive IOR (4x32 on a .257 Roberts) may honestly be my best glass.  Doing it all over I guess I would do Zeiss instead given that Kahles is going over and out.  I have never had a problem with one and will certainly seriously consider another one for the next rifle, even with the service question mark.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 22:13
cooper deserves to have there asses handed to them for writing a $1000 check to the obama campaign fund too!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 22:36
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

cooper deserves to have there asses handed to them for writing a $1000 check to the obama campaign fund too!

"Them" meaning plural?  It was just Dan who wrote the check.  Why punish "them" and cripple an American gunmaker and employees?  It's just Dan who needs the spankin' no?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 22:38
well ok maybe just dan, but i think the board of directors spanked him anyway, but still thats a dumb thing to do especially for custom outfit like that.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2008 at 22:43
Yeah, that's the way I understand it too.  The board spanked him.  I know some folks who get to go shoot at his ranch every summer.  They pass around Dan's personal 223 Montana Varminter with over 30,000 rounds through it and I've heard it still shoots pretty good too.  They all say Dan is quite a character and end up shaking their heads grinning when saying it.  I get the impression he's kinda squirrely.

Cooper sets up all the new interesting guns for the year and they shoot aspirins at 100yds.

Edited by Horsemany - December/19/2008 at 22:46
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic