OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope choices.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope choices.....
    Posted: January/18/2005 at 20:59
Anyone have the Bushnell Banner 6-18AO X 50 scope?  Looking to put a good scope on a .223 that will give decent performance/reliablility without huge price tag. (Aren't we all)  Cabela's Alaskan Guide 4.5-14 x 44 sounds like a very impressive scope, but more $$.  Also looked at Burris 3-9 x 40  which I have heard/read  are very good.  I target shoot, and hope to hunt some coyote. The Bushnell is attractive at it's price, but how does it compared to others for clarity/warranty?  The others are lifetime warranty.  Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2005 at 15:36

I have both the Burris Fullfield and the Elite 3200, and the Elite 3200 is hands down a brighter scope, with the added advantage of Rainguard.. However, both are plenty rugged for a lifetime of use and have good warranties, and will cost about the same  ( in the mid $200's) Skip  the Banner, it lacks fully multi-coatings on all its lenses and as such will not provide the same low lite performance. No experience with the Alaskan Guide, but have read good things about their top of the line models  in Sports Afield reviews.

Edited by martin3175
carolinaflats View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolinaflats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2005 at 16:19

I've shot a ruger .17HMR with the scope you mentioned and in my opinion it's a good scope for the money. It is clear and focuses well at long distances. I think the only drawback is how long it is, but I guess most scopes with similar magnification are similar in length.  Unless you want that high of a magnification the Burris would probably be better optically and from what people here say it is THE best scope for it's price. Good luck with your choice!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic