OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope mounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope mounts
    Posted: December/10/2008 at 21:06
New to this forum and I have an embarrassing question. I have mounted dozens of scopes on my own rifles, bore sighted shot in and spent thousands of rounds developing handloads at the range but until I got interested in this long range shooting I have never heard of "20moa mounts and 40 moa mounts" and tapered mounts. What are they and what would be the use for them? 
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2008 at 21:13
Those are tapered rails for shooting at extreme ranges.  It cocks the scope up in the ocular end and reduces how much of internal adjustment one needs to shoot long range.  This is usually not necessary unless you're shooting 600 to 1000 yds.  Most 1" tube scopes only have roughly 45" of internal adjustment and you'll run out trying to get to 1000 yds unless you use a tapered base.
Bigfoot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2008 at 21:25
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic