OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss 3-9x40 vs. 2.5-8x32 for mountain rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss 3-9x40 vs. 2.5-8x32 for mountain rifle
    Posted: December/10/2008 at 05:16

I know from past experience on another rifle I sold that the 3-9x40 is an excellent scope.  However, I am considering the 2.5-8x32 also.  I lose a little top end power for a little more field of view and less weight and length which is what you want with a lighter weight rifle like the Remington mountain rifle.  But does the 2.5-8x32 perform in the field as good as the 3-9x40 does?

bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2008 at 09:42
I would have to say YES. I have both the 40mm Conquest and the 32mm Conquest. My conclusion is that there is nothing lost by going to the smaller size, other than weight and bulk. My 32mm is the fixed 4X32. I was hesitant at first to use this scope as I had  similar concerns like you. I had absolutly no problem at all with field of view,  eye relief, sight picture, and most of all - its ability to perform in LOW light settings. No problems at all picking out deer up to 200+ yards at early dawn and late dusk. If your shots will mostly be under 200 Yards, i would highly recommend the 4X32 - it's a little lighter, alittle less expensive, and very simple - just aim and shoot, no need for zooming in and out. This scope has really grown on me after this last hunting season, I can definately see more in my inventory in the future. Hope this helps, bricat
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2008 at 11:16
Originally posted by bagderRed bagderRed wrote:

I know from past experience on another rifle I sold that the 3-9x40 is an excellent scope.  However, I am considering the 2.5-8x32 also.  I lose a little top end power for a little more field of view and less weight and length which is what you want with a lighter weight rifle like the Remington mountain rifle.  But does the 2.5-8x32 perform in the field as good as the 3-9x40 does?

...............Sure they will!..........Imo, depending on the rifle, cartridge and use, the 2.5x8`s are almost the perfect balance between underscoping and overscoping along with having reasonable weight in some scope offerings. I`ve seen guys who buy light weight mountain rifles and then put 4x16 scopes on them that weigh 17-20 oz`s.... Ahhh! The last time I checked, isn`t the scope weight included in the overall rifle weight???? 

The 2.5x on the low end, gives a better FOV for shorter range brush and timber, while 8x on the high end is more than good enough for the 500-600 yard shots if needed.

For a mountain rifle, you have the best of all worlds using a 2.5-8x32; lower weight, lower profile and a great overall balance in magnification for just about any hunting situation. I even like them a little better than the 3x9`s. 
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2008 at 13:38
Thanks for the replies!... Yea, 4x32 would be another good choice.  I traded in my Schmidt and Bender 4x36 when they were still $400-450 and what a mistake that was.  Not only did the scope skyrocket but it worked extremely well where I whitetail hunt right now.  #4 reticle on that one, what a scope.  Anyway, this new rig will be my "go to" rifle and I might need a little more power for longer shots down the road so I think anyway.  Not like making a 300 yd. shot with 4x cannot be done!  I really liked that 3-9x40 Conquest though, great scope for the money, and I've had Swaro's PH in 2.5-10-42 30mm.  That scope is unbelievable but is bulky.  NOt meant for compact lightweight setups.  Did great on my 7mm Magnum Wichester MOdel 70 super grade. 

BagderRed
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2008 at 13:44
I just mounted a 2.5-8x32 Conquest on a Tikka T3 .270. Seems to be a perfect match.
BuckeyeArcher View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckeyeArcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2008 at 14:39
If in your price range the Swarovski 3-9x36 American would be an excellent choice for a Mountain Rifle.

bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2008 at 16:10
Yes, excellent choice but not worth $500 MORE dollars. IMO
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2008 at 17:22
Actually, the 2.5-8X32 is only about 1.25 oz lighter than the 3-9X40, so the weight difference probably wouldn't be noticeable on the rifle.  However the lower profile objective of the 2.5-8X32 would be, and you could pretty much use the lowest rings available with that scope.  Interestingly, Zeiss lists the same weight for the 2.5-8X32 as for the fixed 4X32.  Incidentally, I have the 4X32, and I agree with Bricat -- it's a fantastic little scope in every respect and there's something to be said about the simplicity and optical excellence of a good fixed 4X or 6X on a hunting rifle.

As a fan of good moderate to low magnification variables, I think the 2.5-8X32 and the 1.8-5.5X38 are two of the most intriguing models in the Conquest line.  However, I don't understand why the 1.8-5.5X38 is listed as 3 oz heavier than the 3-9X40.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2008 at 17:32
I was going to say something here, but got lost watching Bricat's avatar...
Maybe someday it will come back to me.  

I still think her name should be Nancy Callahan...

Edited by Kickboxer - December/10/2008 at 17:34
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2008 at 18:19
Hey Kickboxer, so some respect to the wench - Her name is Lolita, NOT bricat's avatar!!! Baseball Bat
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2008 at 18:21
That's "show" not "so" some respect  - lost my spelling in a fit of rage.
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2008 at 19:31

That's the first thing I noticed when I came back on board recently... that baby has some moves!!!  Swaro's out, too much for me, although would that would be a sweet combo.  Decision goes to  the 2.5-8x32.  Thanks for the help.Excellent

BadgerRed 
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2008 at 20:50
Take a look at the 2.5-8x32 Monarch too @ $289. The same scope in the VX3 is also being discounted down from the $399.
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2008 at 21:46
Haven't looked at a Monarch but the price point is nice.  I'll take a look.  I had a VAri-X III 2.5-8x36 and was my first "real" scope you could say.  Good scope, was considering this one too because of the current discounts.  Then I took a look through my dad's vari-x III 2.5-8x36 which is NOT index matched whatever and I jumped right to the Conquest.  I basically liked everything about the 3-9x40 Conquest besides the plastic turret caps and especially how the Z-plex looks compared to Leupold's duplex reticle.  I hunted with that Conquest alot and it held up fine.  Maybe just maybe there not as tough as the Vari-X III but hard to say.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2008 at 22:16
Originally posted by BuckeyeArcher BuckeyeArcher wrote:

If in your price range the Swarovski 3-9x36 American would be an excellent choice for a Mountain Rifle.

How about this one from the samplelist.com:

3793 Swarovski 3-9x36 American Light Weight 52040, Matte finish, one inch tube, plex reticle, fast focus eye piece, resettable windage & elevation, light ring marks. $887.00 $649.95
take em!
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2008 at 05:37
Yea, that is still out of my price range these days, if only I was single again haha.  $250 above the 2.5-8x32 Zeiss is more than I want to spend but no doubt about it that is an outstanding scope. 
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2008 at 07:51
I understand!  I put a Conquest 3-9X40 on my son's 700 CDL in .270 and he loves it!  If it wasn't a lefty, I'd probably be fighting him for it!  Can't go wrong with a Zeiss!!!!
take em!
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2008 at 08:11
Originally posted by bagderRed bagderRed wrote:

Haven't looked at a Monarch but the price point is nice.  I'll take a look.  I had a VAri-X III 2.5-8x36 and was my first "real" scope you could say.  Good scope, was considering this one too because of the current discounts.  Then I took a look through my dad's vari-x III 2.5-8x36 which is NOT index matched whatever and I jumped right to the Conquest.  I basically liked everything about the 3-9x40 Conquest besides the plastic turret caps and especially how the Z-plex looks compared to Leupold's duplex reticle.  I hunted with that Conquest alot and it held up fine.  Maybe just maybe there not as tough as the Vari-X III but hard to say.

After the spill mine took on a Black Hills hunt this year, I'd be hard pressed to believe they are not as tough. I nearly cried when I looked at my rifle laying there. Then picked it up, and killed a deer with it. No problems with the scope.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2008 at 10:03
Nice signature line! Cheers
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2008 at 10:09
Mr. Anti-Pyro!!!   Boy! Are YOU gonna get a full mailbox!!!   Shocked           Laugh
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic