OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Rifle Need a Leupold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootemup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Rifle Need a Leupold
    Posted: December/09/2008 at 20:04
Im getting a new .22-250 for hunting varmints, i will shoot targets mostly just to site in.

i was raised a remington and leupold kid so i figure i will stay with leupold as i am getting a remington.

i would appreciate some guidance.  my budget is under 600 but i will also search for lower priced sites so just scope ideas is all i really need.  thanks.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 20:09
If your stuck on Leupold, your in luck.  The vx3 line is being discontinued and there are some pretty good discounts to be found.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 20:35
Why do you hate your gun enough to buy a Leupold? 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 20:40
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Why do you hate your gun enough to buy a Leupold? 

oh boyJerry Springer here we go!

Get Your Popcorn Ready
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 20:40

Flame
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
shootemup View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootemup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 20:49
Well i am not going to say i hate my gun to buy a leupold, but like i said i always used em and never had a problem  they have always held, and i have never missed with one so i dont see a need to change,  if you want to, make a suggestion of your scopes in that price range and i am open minded so i will take a look.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 20:54
for $600 you will find a few scopes that will blow your mind
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 21:02
This scope right here will blow away and Leupold scope made.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-9126-1134-new-meopta-4-12x40-meostar-r1-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
shootemup View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootemup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 21:07
its nice, but i would like varmint reticle, and i know i said 600 but i am really hoping to keep it under 400 i just was hoping to find a good deal on a 600.

i just know leupold from experience.  i have never looked thru the one you chose, but i know the clarity i will get from leupold especially with such a large diameter.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 21:10
For a bit under Bushnell 's 4200 series has some nice 4 to 16 scopes.  Meopta has a 4 to12 and a 7x56 for 630. 

Leupolds have a couple of problems, they have so much eye relief that you loose field of view. That does not help with fast moving varmits like coyotes.  Thier glass is not as clear as other makers for the money.  Which means you do not get the low light performance or often the long range clarity.  Most people buy magnification, but get no clarity, which means they loose useful distance.

WWW.formitch.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 21:12

a new nikon monarch even would be a nice step up sightron sII would be another good one

Edited by pyro6999 - December/09/2008 at 21:12
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 21:15
If you compared that scope to a Leupold the clarity of the Meopta would shock you.  Leupold are actually very very lacking in optical quality.

How about this one.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-9790-259-zeiss-3-9x40-conquest-rifle-scope.aspx
It is will have considerably better class than a vx3 or 2 but not as good as the Meopta.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
shootemup View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootemup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 21:15
this is my first varmint gun, and the first gun i will shot for over 200 yards.  my dad's .300 WSM has a leupold and i love it.

but if you are all saying it is not worth it, this might be the time to try something different.  another reason i like leupolds is that they are made here in America
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 21:16
It is an interesting statement to say you know the Leupolds clarity, but you did not mention what else you compare it to. So in some ways you conflict with your own statement.  Whatever

WWW.formitch.com

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 21:17
+1 for Zeiss Conquest
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 21:18
Leupold glass comes from off shore.  Zeiss has scopes that are also assembled in the US. and a lot clearer.

WWW.formitch.com

shootemup View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootemup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 21:18
that is nice, but i was hoping for a bit more like to 14 or 18 power.  which also will drive up the price i bet...

its just when you hear top optics its swarv stiener and leupold in most cases.
shootemup View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootemup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 21:22
you are right, i have not been able to compare a leupold with a scope of the same caliber.  typically it is a 400 or 600 dollar leupodl against a 100 or 200 dollar scope.

i am not trying to say i know everything, i am hear to learn so i make a good choice on my new scope and rifle set up and from what you are all saying leupold is the wrong place to look.

so for under 400 since that is hafl the price of the gun, and spending more than half the price of the gun on a scope is something else i learned (if its wrong tell me) what would be good with at least 12 power, but hopefully 14-18 area.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 21:22
If you go to higher magnification, but low quality, you will not get the range as higher quality and lower magnification.  It is like having a dirty windshield so you can drive faster...

WWW.formitch.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 21:24
you up the power and dont match the glass quality to go with it you will be sorry
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic