OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Digital Camera?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 14:42
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Try some of the little lithuim AA batteries Ed.  I have shot a couple hundred shots with mine so far and they still say full.

Do they "talk" to you, supertool??  Shocked    Roll on Floor Laughing

(......I still don't know how to use a cell phone.....except to make a phone call......!! )
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 14:45
im surprised you can turn on a computer ed, it doesnt have a block or cables or power tongs, and as far as i know no mud or fire is involved either
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 17:59
Hunter, we're on our 3rd. digital camera in about three years.  I refuse to spend more than
$125.00, the last two we had were dropped and that was that, these new little cameras are very fragile.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 19:07
Hunter,  just got an ad from the local camera shop and they have the new Nikon COOLPIX S60 kit on sale for $299.  It was $399.  This camera looks pretty cool.  You might want to check it out!  10.0 megapixel.... 3.5" high-res touch panel LCD....... and 5X Zoom NIKKOR lens!

Edited by Tip69 - December/08/2008 at 19:35
take em!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 19:43
FWIW, I have the Nikon Coolpix P5100, and I've been pleased with it overall, though it doesn't have RAW format, just JPEG only.  It's a 12.1 MP camera w/ Nikkor 3.5x lens zoom + 4X digital zoom that takes very nice pics.  It has up to ISO 3200 settings, though I've found ISO settings above about 800 to be pretty much useless -- too much noise.  It has a very precise autofocus with a vibration reduction mode that adjusts for hand tremor (which I've found works quite well).  One of the things I really like about it is the fact its LCD screen has better resolution than most P&S cameras I've seen -- very sharp and high contrast.  It also has a viewfinder, which many P&S cameras don't have anymore.  It features full manual shooting modes and lots of menu options in easy to set menus.  Ergonomically, it has nice gripping surfaces, all controls are in logical, intuitive locations, and the body is made of magnesium.  I've seen them for sale as low as $300, but it usually sells for around $350. 

Besides the lack of RAW, the only other negative I see to this camera is it's a little slow compared to other cameras in its class in terms of write speed. 

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 20:00

Eek
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 20:05
them boys must of heard me coming i pulled up the walmart page to show the sarge the camera and it was sold out! it wasnt earlier when we were talking about it. so i will either wait a while and see if they restock soon or else go to the local walmart and find something else!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 20:54
We have a Kodak and a Canon power shot.. Both are great.. Consumer reports gives Canon good marks.  Sonys are good but they often require proprietary memory cards etc.. Which tend to run more money.  We have 3 lesser priced kodaks that use AA batteries (kids cameras) and they are not good, batteries go like water.  The higher end Kodak that has the special sized battery is excellent.  Check out http://butterflyphoto.com/.  I have ordered cameras from them and they beat all prices.  I know folks who have ordered from them for years.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 23:03
I have the Cannon 750 power shot and is is very easy on batteries. It has 4AA and I sometimes get 800 shots on 4 2400ah lithium rechargeable. It has 8700 shots on it so far this year. It is used every day and stays in the car. It has stood up well. My wife uses the Kodak Z1015 15X Optical zoom. Its pictures seem sharper than the cannon. Both get heavy use. Kodak harder on batterys.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 05:01
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i showed my wife the leica that chris sells and told her that they make awesome binos and spotters among other optics but she wasnt to thrilled with the price.

Trying to butter her up for that new Weatherby eh? Want to borrow some Leica binos, so she can see what she's missing? After she buys that Leica camera, you can go buy an Accumark.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 09:15

im surprised you can turn on a computer ed, it doesnt have a block or cables or power tongs, and as far as i know no mud or fire is involved either

Is that a put-down???  Shocked
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 09:19
Not at all Ed.

Think how far ahead of the curve you would be a mere 100 years ago!

p.s. I still don't have a cell phone.  My boys tell me I'm just an 8-track guy in a DVD world.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 09:25
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Is that a put-down???  Shocked

no sir, i was implying that since you were a rough neck delicate movements like flipping a computer's on switch may not be accomplished without a 48" pipe wrench!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 09:32
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Not at all Ed.

Think how far ahead of the curve you would be a mere 100 years ago!

p.s. I still don't have a cell phone.  My boys tell me I'm just an 8-track guy in a DVD world.
i wouldnt feel safe in the winter if i didnt have a cell phone. they are life savers, they are also a pain in the butt sometimes when you want to escape you cant!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 09:51

My wife agrees with you but I just can't stand the idea of all those electronic leashes!

God save the Empire!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 09:51
(....the only 48 inch Ridgid pipe wrench I ever had was bent!!! Now how did that happen??)   Bucky
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 09:55

(....the only 48 inch Ridgid pipe wrench I ever had was bent!!! Now how did that happen??)   Bucky
i think every 48" ridgid pipe wrench i ever used or saw was also bent!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 10:07
"48" ridgid pipe wrench"

Is that a euphemism Ed for a body part?????
God save the Empire!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 12:41

i think every 48" ridgid pipe wrench i ever used or saw was also bent!

Those damn roughnecks!!  That reminds me of the famous little joke about roughnecks:

Roughnecks can destroy everything!!  Someone brought three steel cannonballs out to the rig one day and told the roughnecks to 'take care of them' [ Bucky ]......

......at the end of the tour ( "shift", you Normal people would say...), the roughnecks had broke one, lost one, and the third one was found in one of the roughneck's lunch buckets!!! 

Roll on Floor Laughing 
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 12:57
Laugh Above thats funny and yet so true
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic