OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Digital Camera?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Digital Camera?
    Posted: December/08/2008 at 11:40
alright you camera experts, the sarge is talking about replacing her digital camera, i told her she needed to do that a couple of years ago. any who, im looking for a decent one in the $200-$300 range got some suggestions??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 12:01
HOLY CRAP!!!    Mouth Taped Shut       I mean, Golly............jump on the internet!!  I just got a real good one for...( Drumroll  )  $104 !!  Bucky

It's just a point-and-shoot.  I can't afford an $1100 SLR yet.....so I got a Canon Powershot A590--- 8 MG,  optical viewfinder ( besides the LCD thinger...) , anti-shake, 4X optical zoom, and all kinds of stuff..................

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 12:02
that looks like a nice camera ed, do you have any experience with the nikons?

HEY ED!! CLEAN OUT YER MAILBOX!!Bandito

Edited by pyro6999 - December/08/2008 at 12:06
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 12:11
No Nikon Digital experience.....just FILM ( and cave paintings..........) 

You FILLED UP my BOX ALREADY?????!!!!  Shocked
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 12:14
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

No Nikon Digital experience.....just FILM ( and cave paintings..........) 

You FILLED UP my BOX ALREADY?????!!!!  Shocked
hell ya im a typin foo!!

i even eat cookies while i do it ed!

SNORT!!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 12:22

The A590 is a great choice.

Though I would suggest the Canon SX110is.  It too takes two AA, has a larger lens with a true optical 10x and can be picked up for a little over $200.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powershot-SX110IS-Stabilized-Black/dp/B001EQ4C8U/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_2_txt?pf_rd_p=304485601&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-2&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001F1R8GC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=04ZME3794JEKWFBK5TS2

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 12:23
Nikon or Canon only.  Look for a Canon G9, they now have the G10.  Otherwise look for something with a good write speed and don't worry about mega pixels, most have more than thier plastic lenses can use. Look for a used d70 Nikon kit.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 12:24
so this one wouldnt be a good choice?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 12:29
I really like Canon, their SD "point and shot" and the EOS Digital SLR's are Thunbs Up.

I've been using a Canon SD800 IS for a few years now and it's great. Very small and can easily fit in a shirt or BDU side pocket with no bulk. I used to have a Canon A95 which was nice too but IMHO the "A" older series were a little large for a "point and shot" vs the SD series.

They don't make the SD800 IS anymore but they've improved on it. Below are some links to CNET Review.

Canon PowerShot SD850 IS

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-sd850-is/4505-6501_7-32441340.html?tag=mncol;lst

Canon PowerShot SD870 IS

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-sd870-is/4505-6501_7-32471275.html?tag=mncol;lst

Edited by mike650 - December/08/2008 at 23:11
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 12:30
No Pyro, it sucks... Big screen on back is a plus, but little or no flash.  It is the flash that makes or breaks most indoor pictures.  The next thing is what sort of batteries does it take and how bad does it suck them down.  I have a little Canon that's older than the one Ed showed and it sucks down batteries very fast with the back display or when the flash is used.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 12:33
my wife uses a cheapo kodak easy sharez700 now its only a 4meg so im thinking about anything would be a step up. i dont need something real flashy, just good quality pictures,the wife will be using it mostly.

this one is in my price range

Edited by pyro6999 - December/08/2008 at 12:35
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 14:05
noddah gave you some good advice Hunter.  The Canon SX110 is the camera I took to NZ.  The 10X optical zoom came in handy and it is dead simple to use if you leave it on auto (focal length is 35 to 350MM not counting the digital zoom).  If you like to fool around with aperture and speed you can do that too.  The film mode works great.  You can choose to use the flash or not - I liked that.  Some point and shoot cameras had auto flash you couldn't turn off easily.

Very happy with the pics I took.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 14:08
maybe i will show that to the sarge when she gets in, it looks like a nice camera, walmart sells them online only and they are in our price range.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 14:12
That's where I bought mine.  Came as a package including a nice carry case and recharger with 4 batteries. Some other places were the same price but accessories were extra.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 14:13

well i will have to see what she says, im just wondering if maybe waiting until after the new year, new stuff may come out after the 1st??

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 14:18
Yes, according to the literature, that little Canon A 590 is going to eat up batteries every 200 shots.....so we will be carrying , like, an 8 pack of batteries, and I will be using the viewfinder exclusively because I'm used to that ..  [except for constantly looking at the last photo (!)] ....which will also eat up batteries....but what the heck---it's better than having to develope $75 worth of film next week!! 

We needed a digital for an upcoming little trip next weekend so I grabbed that on the internet because I can't afford a Nikon D 200 right today....or that Leica V-Lux, either....I just need to stop spending so much on FILM...........Bucky !!!   ( I know people who have NEVER USED FILM in their live's!!! )   Bucky

I thought for that price I could begin playing with digital...........I like it....it's just a little point and shooter.....and I won't have to lug my 35mm's around next weekend.........Shocked
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 14:23
Forgot to mention, that Canon will also fit in your shirt pocket - that was a priority for me with all the hiking we did.  As far as I know the SX110 is the newer model to mine - just checked.  I have the sx100, basically the same except for the badging.  Oh, the rechargeable batteries last a long time - far better than trying to use alkalines. 
God save the Empire!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 14:23
Try some of the little lithuim AA batteries Ed.  I have shot a couple hundred shots with mine so far and they still say full.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 14:30
i showed my wife the leica that chris sells and told her that they make awesome binos and spotters among other optics but she wasnt to thrilled with the price.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 14:40
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Try some of the little lithuim AA batteries Ed.  I have shot a couple hundred shots with mine so far and they still say full.

Do they " Talk " to you , supertool??  Shocked               Roll on Floor Laughing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic