OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Manufact for Alaskan Guide & Pine Ridge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC-amature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manufact for Alaskan Guide & Pine Ridge
    Posted: January/18/2005 at 09:17

Does anyone know who/where the Cabela's Alaskan Guide & Pine Ridge scopes are made?  Mostly just interested in knowing.  Not actually thinking of purchasing one but the other products I've gotten with the 'Cabela' name on it have been top-notch (i.e. bags, clothes, boots, etc).

Now I am in the market to replace my Simmons Whitetail Classic (3.5-10x50) on my .270.  Based on what I've already read here I'm staying in the same power range, dropping the obj to 40-44 and upping the glass quality.  It will come down to Zeiss Conquest, Nikon Monarch, VX-lll, or Elite 4200.  Since I have been 'lurking' the forum for a while, I understand each item above has its own following for various reasons, but I enjoy the debate.  I'm of the mind that if you can hit a 1 pound coffee can at 100yds after 10 pushups (simulates 'deer fever'), you can effectively hunt deer most places in NC.

Of course when it's time to purchase SWFA is the place to start.

Thanks in advance for any information/response.

Imagunsmith View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imagunsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2005 at 16:04
From all the evidence I've seen, these scope are the same as the Tasco World Class line.
Gotta problem rifle? I can probably help.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2005 at 17:13
I don't know for certain but I would guess Hakko as they do most off brands.  Hakko is capable of producing very high end optics.
turkeyman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkeyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2005 at 08:42

Hello: I was just in Cabelas and was told by an employee in the Optics Dept that he believes by the best of his knowledge in this area, that Bushnell makes them for Cabelas.  That was from his own experience nothing the store provided to the empoyees.

I have a pair of the Alaskan Guide Series binoculars in an 8x42 and they are one of the nicest piece of glass that I ever owned.  At a price of $500.00 they are knocking on the door of the high end Euro's.  If you get a chance take a look through them, I think you will be impressed.

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2005 at 09:50
Sports Afield did a test of various hi end scopes about 6-8 months ago, and they rated the $299 - 3x9 Cabelas scope a Best Buy in a group that included some well known offerings....however , the article didn't mention who made it for them.( could be Bushnell- they also make the new Browning scopes - another great buy )

Edited by martin3175
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2005 at 12:58

Originally posted by Chris Chris wrote:

I don't know for certain but I would guess Hakko as they do most off brands.  Hakko is capable of producing very high end optics.

I have heard that Hakko is the manufacturer for Cabela's too. I don't know for certain.

I have also "heard" Celestron makes them as well. Again, I don't know for sure.

The Internet is not a fountain of truth, now is it??  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
nino52 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nino52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 09:20
I just looked up what i think is the one who makes CABELA,S pine ridge binocks, BARSKA ,storm ex. thay are the spitin image of the pine ridge binocks,even the specs are the same!!Cool
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 09:35
I've read that the Alaskan Guide series is made somewear in Japan, and the rest of the lineup is made in China. Don't remember the artical giving actual manifacturer names thought.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 10:29
Originally posted by turkeyman turkeyman wrote:

Hello: I was just in Cabelas and was told by an employee in the Optics Dept that he believes by the best of his knowledge in this area, that Bushnell makes them for Cabelas.  That was from his own experience nothing the store provided to the empoyees.

Bushnell doesn't actually manufacture anything.  They are only a brand name.  They outsource manufacturing of their products.  For instance, Light Optical Works in Japan makes their better scopes for them.

I've found that most people working the guns/optics/outdoor gear sections of most of the large sporting goods stores don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Edited by RifleDude - March/18/2010 at 10:31
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 10:42
I have also looked into Cabelas store brand scopes. they seem nice but for the price there asking for them I really don't think it's a "deal" compared to a name brand scope.
Safari317 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safari317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 11:04
The Bushnell Elite 4200 supposedly compares very well to the Zeiss Conquest and has the 'rainguard' on the lenses.  It is on sale at SWFA for $255, which seems like a good price.  I don't have any experience with either scope, just relaying what I've read and heard on other forums.  I'm in the market myself for a scope for my M70 Featherweight 30.06 and am thinking Leupold VX3 1.75-6X, Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40, or Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9X40.  The Zeiss and Leupy are $400 each though.
Armchair Bwana -Jeff in MN
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 13:08
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Bushnell doesn't actually manufacture anything.  They are only a brand name.  They outsource manufacturing of their products.  For instance, Light Optical Works in Japan makes their better scopes for them.

I've found that most people working the guns/optics/outdoor gear sections of most of the large sporting goods stores don't know what the hell they're talking about.

I agree 100%
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 13:43
Ted is right about that.... Hell I've found that even in gun stores, many haven't a clue either. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 14:22
From five years ago to today, and the thread is still perfectly relevant.

Kind of like Deja' Vu!
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 14:23
This is true, The guy at bass pro here in houston tried to sell me on Nikko Sterling one time.
nino52 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nino52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 15:14
Originally posted by nino52 nino52 wrote:

I just looked up what i think is the one who makes CABELA,S pine ridge binocks, BARSKA - model ,storm ex.10x42 thay are the spitin image of the pine ridge binocks,even the specs are the same!!Cool
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 18:30
Originally posted by turkeyman turkeyman wrote:

I have a pair of the Alaskan Guide Series binoculars in an 8x42 and they are one of the nicest piece of glass that I ever owned.  At a price of $500.00 they are knocking on the door of the high end Euro's.  If you get a chance take a look through them, I think you will be impressed.

I don't know about anyone else, but the people at Cabela's always seemed to be total morons to me...........
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 10:50
the ones here in the midwest/plains states are pretty good..... but not all.  I worked there for a bit and they do try hard to hire real hunters/shooters/fisherman/campers...etc.  but they have this real stupid policy of working 3 out of 4 weekends and that ..... well that sucks!!  I think they loose some of their best folks because they can't hunt enough!
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 10:51
I knew who made their euro binoc...... but never did get anything solid on their scopes.  But they did seem pretty similar to Nikon's.
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic