OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

muzzlebreaks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: muzzlebreaks
    Posted: December/06/2008 at 20:13
so if you need a muzzle break what kind is the best to have??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2008 at 20:46
Good question for I have had three 1.vais 2.Williams 3.weatherby got rid of them all they just made more noise instead I went with limb savers recoil pads ,just as good that is if recoil is your reasoning .cheaper as well!  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2008 at 20:49
my .300 win mag came with the boss and i hated it, i shot a mule deer with it once, and i was instantly deaf for about an hour, i talked to my ffl and told him what happened he said ,well lets order a boss cr for it and i did and i never took it off that rifle after that, does the gentry quiet brake really work?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2008 at 20:59
Never tried the gentry?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 08:36
its interesting to see the nature of the word describing the device change in the last 10 years. the device is a brake not a break-- however from a physics point of view there is no braking function going- which would require an acceleration (de-acceleration) in the opposite direction. they do break the directions or forward momentum of the expanding gases. the best muzzle breaks are sound suppressors, the best open brakes are the loudest, sense this means that the device is redirecting the most gases. the amt. available and the amt. of recoil reduction is a function of that percentage of discharge mass associated with the weight of the powder charge. this assumes 100% efficiency in a machine which never happens but gives a good rule of thumb. as an example a 300 win mag with a total ejecta mass of bullet plus power-- say 210 gr and 70 grs or 280 grs would have available 70/210 percent by eliminating the gases.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 09:55
In my experience the Magna-Port is the least obnoxious and the Answer Products the worst. I can't stand the things for hunting. They hurt my ears.
I have always felt that if someone can't handle the recoil from a heavy hitter, they will have to forget hunting certain animals.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 10:22
my thoughts are either make the rifle heavier or slow it down and lighten the bullets up
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 10:32

the tighter the dams the louder and more efficient the muzzle brake . hunters usually don't hunt with hearing protection so the shock impulse hitting the ears is higher. (obviously) they are used alot in competitive events where critical eye relief in a high mag scope and recoil velocity collide. in 3 guns matches they reduce the torque moment around the recoil pivot point allowing the shooter to get back on target faster

if one thinks the stories about different scopes being clearer,  brighter, cleaner, sharper, shorter, longer, heavier, more accurate, the stories about brakes causing 50%,75%,90% reduction in recoil are even more entertaining.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 10:34
i suspect the effective % is 40% or less.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 13:29
Using Limbsavers or doing a recoil pad conversion, is better than having a muzzle brake with added noise and flash. Not a fan of muzzle brakes. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 13:37
im not either, but if that was a last resort i just wanted to know who makes the quietest one out there.

i think if i get one, now is the time to "cowboy up"
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 15:32
Hey pyro

That gunsmith's name I gave you on the PM is the guy who can cut one of these into a barrel

It is the quietest I have used and the most effective.  Of course with no equipment to test that has to be just labeled as my opinion.

I have shot a lot of BOSS's on Brownings and a lot of these Briley Brakes

and the cut in muzzle brake in the top pic is the best so far.

You can also install recoil suppressors in the stock, either mechanical like these

or mercury like these

I recently did a DIY job by just bedding in 2 into a stock

the recoil suppressors will alter the balance of your rifle unless you have a heavy barrel like the 26" #5 contour I put on the rifle in question.  Then the barrel weight will offset the recoil suppressors in the stock.  Makes my 338 RUM kick less than my lightweight 30-06, but it does seem like more of an "event" when that 338 goes off though!  WOW
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 15:36
hmm thats some cool stuff, i will remember that.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 05:46
My opinion is the best brake, or break, which ever you prefer, hands down is the one thats not on my rifle, and being shot a long ways from my ears. I got tinnitus (a constant ringing in my ears) probably from a Browning with BOSS. I don't care for any of them.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 07:02
I like the cheese grater looking one ...not a fan of the noise-but that one is interesting looking
geezer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 08:28
I am not a fan of these devices either.  I have shot several rifles that had them installed and was glad that I was using hearing protection at the time.  I would definitely go the route of better recoil pad/other recoil reduction methods first - if you value your hearing.  I think that "quiet" is a relative term when speaking of these devices.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 10:18
Great post, sakomato!  You're very good at providing just the right pic at the right moment!
Excellent

As for brakes, I don't care for them either, but of those I tried, I prefer the VAIS.  It is very effective, and isn't as ugly when installed as some other brake designs.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 10:24
i would be very intrested in trying one of those recoil suppressors they look simple enough that they may just work very well
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 11:26
Bang for the buck, no pun intended, is the Limbsaver pads.  On one gun I have the boss, and it's too loud.  But the Limbsaver has made a noticable improvement on my 7mag.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 12:29
i had a boss on my .300 and like i said i took it off and maybe the noise made a difference, but after i put the cr adapter on i still really didnt feel any change in recoil, i have tried the limbsaver and it does work! i would however like to try the combo of the instock mercury recoil reducer with the limbsaver and see what happens.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic