OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

True Ballistic Range????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djackson1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: True Ballistic Range????
    Posted: December/06/2008 at 16:43
I have been looking into getting a decent rangefinder and i am not real sure what the "true ballistic range" is. what is it? is it necessary?
‘‘In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.’’

— Aristotle
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2008 at 19:01
ballistic range varies with inclination and declination of muzzle angle, usually shorter than horizontal ballistic range. your need will depend on what kind of shooting you do. long range shooting (past 600 yds) with steep angles would of course, benefit more.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2008 at 19:46
How flat are the areas you hunt, and how much are you considering spending for a "decent" rangefinder?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
djackson1125 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djackson1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2008 at 21:54
I hunt very flat land.. and i'm willing to spending up to 250-300 bucks

‘‘In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.’’

— Aristotle
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 18:05
Originally posted by djackson1125 djackson1125 wrote:

I hunt very flat land.. and i'm willing to spending up to 250-300 bucks

Then you won't need one that provides you with the "true ballistic range."  

This issue only becomes significant when the shots are long and the angles are steep.  Even then, for most hunting circumstances simply aiming a little low (regardless of whether the shot is uphill or downhill) will adequately compensate for any linear vs. true ballistic range differences.

I have hunted in the Rocky Mountains of Utah and Wyoming all my life and I have never missed a shot due to mis-calculating the compensation needed for an uphill/downhill shot.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2008 at 05:16
While I don't know how far you are shooting, and it's way out of your listed budget, if I were you I would consider saving a bit more and buying one of these.

Then never be upset with your rangefinder again. (Unless you have a need for shooting over 1000 yds. In which case you should be looking at spending more anyway.) If that is impossible, this may work for you too. I just know that I was never happy with a rangefinder until I bought a Leica, and anybody who owns one seems to agree.

I really don't have much experience with these, though they seem to get pretty fair reviews.

Edited by trigger29 - December/09/2008 at 05:19

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic