OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris rifle scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris rifle scopes
    Posted: January/17/2005 at 20:40
Has anyone had experience with the Burris line of riflescopes?  How do they compare to the European rifle scopes?  Is it really worth spending the extra money on them?  I have a sako stainless synthetic 300wsm.  I really like the black diamond and the Euro Scopes in the Burris line.  Does anyone have a preference and why?  Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!
Pibb
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2005 at 16:00
Euro scopes are better but only you can decide if they are worth the extra money.  You do pay a premium for them being made in Europe and imported (20% duty, weak dollar vs. strong EURO, etc.).
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2005 at 18:55

I think the Euros are worth the extra money.  It is really not that big of a price difference if you buy one of the assembled in the U.S. euros.

ranburr

okokdude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okokdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2005 at 21:55
I own 3 Burris black diamonds and i love them!
I also have 2 schmidt benders, 3 zeiss and 1 swarovski
i also love them! the euros are better optics but the black diamonds a very good- I like them much better than leupold VX3 and Bushnell 4200 which i also have

chasseur106 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2005 at 23:27

I do not own any foregin made scopes that I shoot on a regular basis.  I started shooting seriously year round a couple of years ago.   So I went to a local gunshop and had my eyes opened as to how much one could spend on a rifle scope.

I determined that since I was new to riflescopes in general, for years I only ever used an open sight to hunt most anything, that I would start out with a Bausch and Lomb in 3-9 X 40(?)mm.  That served me well on my $50..00 .30- '06 P-17 Enfield.  (Imported, I believe...the scope).  Then I became interested in ground hog hunting as a way to improve my marksmanship and maintain my contact with the woods throughout the year.   It also endeared me to farmers who generously offered me the use of their land for Turkey hunting and the upcoming deer seasons...

Then I bought rifles.  I now own at least one for each day of the week..  I started by buying a Bushnell 4-12X44 Elite series( Imported ) to shoot the pesky little critters on top of a .22-250.  I was addicted to going out and trying to annhialate them at ever increasing ranges on a weekly basis.  However; I soon discovered that after a long day shooting them, and other targets that presented themselves in the fields, that I was developping severe headaches, at the end of the day.  I soon started to associate this with the scope I was using.  I had not yet bought a decent binocular for the use of scouting.

One day instead of just going home, I went to my local gunshop and laid out all the glass for the money I thought I might spend, while I still had the headache.  I peered through each one.  Sightron, Kahles, Schmidt and Bender... etc.  My headache disappeared while looking through the Leupold Vari X III at 4.5- 14X40mm.  I traded my scope for it and paid the difference on the most expensive scope that I had owned at the time.   I now have three Vari X III's and soon was making regular visits to that gun shop to acquire more guns, and subsequently more scopes....  But the scopes that I buy now, are Burris.  The most recent was a Black Diamond for my .300 Win Mag.  in 4 -16X 50mm.  Big scope and worth the price...  I own 4 Burris's and still own 3 Vari X III.  I cannot see the need to spend more, because I have not yet spent more on a hunt, than the $20.00 dollars it has cost me every year to go out after whitetails in PA. 

The reason I go with these scopes is because I live and pay taxes in the US,  I really do not want my money going overseas to a place like China, where one cannot own a gun, and go hunting.  Or to Canada, for that matter.  Their laws are Draconian, and just what the Liberals in this country(  )want to do to our rights to own a gun and hunt.  The European Economic Union opposed our involvement in Iraq.  I would not give them much more than the time of day.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Chasseur 

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2005 at 23:34

I should say that I I won't buy rifle scopes from the Germans.  I do own a Steiner 8X32 Binocular and have found it to be excellently made.  It does the job I want it to do, and because nobody makes American High end binoculars, I had to buy something.  I wish that I could find an American Manufacturer that would make high end binoculars, so I could buy a pair in 8X42 and/or 10X50.  Anyone know of any?

Sincerely,

Chasseur

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2005 at 00:57

I used to take the same approach as you guys.  It does not work.  Try to watch a movie that doesn't star a liberal.  You'll never get to see another movie.  Business is the same way.  We have a global economy and everyone is tied together one way or another.  Those Burris scopes that you are so proud of.  They are owned by Beretta which is an Italian company that is part of the EU.  Don't feel bad, you cannot escape it.  Just enjoy life and get the best equipment that you can afford.

ranburr

gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2005 at 03:27
Hey Chris, you say the Euro's are better than the standard Black Diamond's?  Who makes their glass?  What about the Titaniums, how do they stack up? 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2005 at 11:08

I think Chris was trying to say that European scopes (Zeiss, Swaro, etc) are better than Black Diamond.  Euro Diamond and Black DIamond use the same glass and coatings to the best of my knowledge.  Burris Titanium scopes are basically Black Diamond scopes in a titanium tube and T-Plate coating added.  T-Plate, to the best of my knowledge, is an anti-scratch coating.

Ilya

okokdude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okokdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2005 at 21:26
One of my black diamonds is the titanium 2.5-10x50 it has the same glass that my standard black diamonds have but the glass has the scratch proof coating awsome scope but heavy
if i cant shoot my elk i can club him to death with the scope
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 02:40

That is the one thing that I regret about owning a Burris Black Diamond in 4- 16X50mm.  It is freakin' huge!

I would not want to own one of their models in 6- 24 X 50 mm.  I have one that is a Signature model but 6- 24 X 44mm and that is almost as long as the barrel on the rifle.  I felt that it was sort of stupid after I bought it to mount it on a .300 Win Mag made by Berretta that was supposed to be" light in weight"

I agree with you okokdude, if I were to get a chance at an elk, it would be awesome to take him with that rifle/ scope combo.  Then after gutting him out I could, use the scope to start a fire by focusing the intense light of a November sun onto a small clump of tinder.  I sometimes wonder if I don't get scope fever like some people get Buck fever, and just buy it because I have wished for it for so long...  Not really thinking that I might have to have three men and a boy to tote that thing into and out of the woods.

Oh well.  I am sure that I will change my mind before too awful long and be glad that I have it.

Chasseur 

gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 05:00
Yeah, your Black Diamond is huge, but it also has plenty of mounting surface for ring adjustment and it can take a punishment that the "L" scopes can't even dream of!  Don't sweat the small stuff, at least with a Black Diamond, you don't need extension rings or bases to get it fit for proper eye relief!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 16:20
Yea, those darn Canadians. Does form follow function or vise versa? It amazes me that the USA has invented more shooting sport competitions, spends more dollars, shoots more shells, has more shooters, is the depository for most surplus ammunition that was ever shot in Iraq, but still shooters somehow compare Euro shooting and hunting to America as if they (Euros) were some sort of authority. Personally I have never seen a Euro scope at a long range metallic rifle shoot, IPSC (other than the one build on Steyr_Augs) or Benchrest. Have you read the advertisement of Zeiss long range scopes- a bunch of good ole boys punching chamois with 240 weatherbys at 350 yds! That doesn't even quailify for long range road sign shooting in Wyoming.(To say nothing of some of the bets I've seen on 1 shot antelope kills which would buy several Euros at one time-no Euros there). With todays scopes looking more like X-boxes and Playstations pretty soon load and lock will mean a rifle support on your truck then just type in the co-ordinate on your lap top and press enter for the kill.
radiobreath View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radiobreath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2005 at 14:04
I am setting up a H&R Handi Rife in 45-70 for hogs.  Most of my shots will be under 75 yards.  I want as much eye relief as possible and the scope needs to be able to withstand the recoil of the hot loads I like to shoot. Many of my  shots are under low light conditions.  What does everybody think of the Burris Black Diamond 6X 50mm for this application?
Jaybird
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2005 at 18:13
If you plan to be shooting in very low light it is probably a good idea for you to take a look at some better illuminated reticle scopes.  Black Diamond is a very bright scope, but if yo can't see the reticle light transmission will not help you much.  For your application I'd probably recommend Burris Signature Safari 1.75-5x32 with lighted FastPlex or Signature Select 1.5-6x26 with ElectroDot.  You really do not need a lot of magnification for your intended range.

Ilya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic