OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

vortex?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vortex?
    Posted: December/03/2008 at 16:32
im wondering if anybody in here has a vortex viper rifle scope and how they like it and is it comparable to a nikon monarch or a 4200 elite class or is it better? i have played with the vortex diamondback and i thought it was a pretty nice scope for the money.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2008 at 17:42
I think Koshkins been playing with one.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2008 at 09:40
i know ilya has a 4-16 but he hasnt gotten back to me about what he thinks yet.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2008 at 09:53
I believe supertool put the Viper in the 4200 class, but I can't be certain. May want to talk to him. I think he has hands on experience. I'm still waiting for one to show up in the area.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2008 at 10:06
My only experience is outside of the store comparing one next to a 4200, never in the field.  I have also looked through a couple on the range but didn't really compare them to anything as all I had where IOR scopes with me.  I thought they looked very close to the 4200.  The store that sells them just loves Vortex products and pushes them pretty hard and have had nothing but good reports from them.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2008 at 10:08
like i said i was pretty surprised with the diamondback when i test drove it, i thought i was better than my nikon buckmaster for sure, but wasnt in that 4200/monarch category, so im wondering if the viper may be. i really like there "swift like" warranty setup, doesnt matter what you did to break it send it back we get you a new one no questions asked. i know several of the ot members have sung high praises for the razor line binos also, so im sorta impressed with there stuff and i have only played with one of there products.

Edited by pyro6999 - December/04/2008 at 10:09
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2008 at 11:21
I wish Leica had a warranty like that. I have a mark on the ob. lens of my Geovids thats driving me nuts. It was there when I bought them, (hevily discounted) and does not seem to affect optical performance, but if they had a warranty like that, I would monster truck them, and get new ones.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 02:59
There has been a review done on Vortex scopes in the forum. Just do a search.
We have also had some guy do a test in South Africa. He liked them. The general complaint seem to be a short eye relief.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 04:39
the eye relief of the viper is about the same as a 3x9 4200 less than 4" worth, i talked to ilya about it since he has one he gave me the low down.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 14:40
Care to share what the "low down" is with the rest of us?
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2008 at 14:42
he said the viper is a pretty nice scope, but he really thinks that for a few more bucks the sightron sII big sky is a better scope, he said the vortex was right up there with the scopes it competes with
the sightron has the same no questions life time free replacement warranty that vortex and swift have so thats cool
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic