OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

x60 Gold Ring or 60x Excusion?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 17:36

Lucznik...

You keep me looking at these Bushnells...they really are nice scopes and seem to have a great rep out here. The Ed version 20-60x80 at $739.00 looks to be a good investment. I talked with a lady at SWFA today (all the guys were on the phone or in the back...Chris must keep them chained back there) and found that most of the refurbed scopes do not have very long warranties. What is your read on this subject? The warranties not the chains !!!! I keep trying to spend more than I need to I think. Pentax and Swaro's are nice however the Bushnell with the ED glass is hard to beat. By the way is the Bushnell warranty on new a lifetime warranty? I promise as I gather more info and experience I will share with others so you Jedi guys can cop a nap or two !!!

Thanks
Mark 
Have a great day ...unless you have something else planned
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 18:11
You are correct that most (though not all) warranties for refurb optics are significantly shorter than if the same optic is purchased new.   I have two competing thoughts on this topic.
1.  In some ways I understand this as the optic is essentially purchased used and most warranties are limited to the original owner.  Therefore, it stands to reason that such an optic, purchased at significant savings, would have a lesser warranty.
2.  However, despite the above, it also seems true that, since the manufacturer had the chance to refurbish the optic to "like-new" condition and since they were then able to resell the optic, potentially making a profit on it twice, the consumer should be able to get the full, original warranty.  To give less seems to say the manufacturer is not quite sure they are putting out a product that really does meet original specs.

I know those two ideas are contradictory, but I always reserve the right to have more than one opinion on any given topic. Big Grin

BTW, some optics retain full, lifetime, and even transferable warranties no matter how many different people own the product.  That's the kind of warranty I really like. Elite binoculars have such a warranty as do all Leupold Golden Ring products.  However, I believe the Elite spotting scopes have limited Lifetime warranties - not a problem for me as I bought mine new so; I'll always be the original owner and thus covered.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
12ptdroptine View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12ptdroptine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 18:38
What does the FLP you refer to mean? I am pretty sure I am going to go with this one the 20x40x60 Leupold golden ring...
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 21:35
FLP = Folded Light Path.

It is the design of the Golden Ring 12-48x60.  It uses mirrors rather than prisms to "bend" the lightpath.

carbuyersfriend View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 22:46

Lucznik,

Ok you convinced me (and I did a lot of research) and I went to order the Bushnell Elite ED only to find it is on back order for two months,,,,sooo what are your feelings on the Pentax 65 Ed w/20x60 eye piece on Samplelist v/s a new Kowa

TSN604 New Kowa 60mm Spotter                                                                                                   New Kowa 60mm Spotter
  • ED Lens Coating
  • Straight Body Only

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2009 at 13:40
That's a tough call.  Were in in your shoes I might wait until the scope I had settled on (whatever the brand/model) was back in stock. Waiting two months for something you will possibly use for the rest of your life (or at least many years) doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.  

In point of fact, I did exactly this.  When I bought my Elite they were on backorder.  I placed my order anyway and I then waited 3 months for them to be back in stock.  Of course, I made sure that my credit card would not be charged until the scope shipped and that I had the option of cancelling the order at anytime should I have found the scope elsewhere. 

However, to answer your questions...

I like the Pentax PF-65 a lot.  It was ultimately not my choice only because I wanted something smaller for backpacking/travelling and therefore wanted something really big for general use.  I veiw the 60+mm class of scopes as a mid-road compromise between performance and portability.  If I were planning on owning a single spotting scope that had to perform all my desired functions, the Pentax PF-65 would be on the short list.

I have never handled the Kowa TSN604 so; I can't help you much there.  I like Kowa generally and their TSN883 is my current fantasy scope but, I don't know if the quality translates down to their lower-priced options.

Edited by lucznik - January/28/2009 at 13:46
carbuyersfriend View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2009 at 15:19
Lucznik
Well....I ordered a Pentax PF80ED angled  scope with a 21x36  eyepiece.
            I got the package for just over 1k. I based my decision on these points for me..
                     1. I wanted a scope that I could look out to say 500 to 600 yards
                         at paper at the range.. with out the image starting to get
                         that "squirmy" look.
                     2. Weight was not an issue for me as I have my compact Leupold 15-30X50
                          for back packing.
                     3. The Pentax gives me (as you have pointed out) an enormous range                            of eyepieces to work with.
                     4. I got really good eye relief with this set up
                     5. The scope comes with a very nice field case that stays zipped on while
                          using the scope.
                     6. Last is that Pentax's offices are right here in the Denver
Most purchase like this often leave me feeling a bit like "did I get the best one for  my  purposes". I don't feel that way about like this scope. I feel it will do everything I need and then some. I arrives Friday and I'll be at the range on Saturday. I'll post a followup. 
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2009 at 20:32
Looks like you made a good choice. 

Have fun with your new toy.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12ptdroptine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 17:54
I brought home the Leupold 12x40x60 flp yesterday. I took it out today and was able to read 1/2" letters on a liscense plate 212yds away.. Bright and clear..and the 33mm eye relief was great. I was also able to se the 3/8 bolt hole's in the plate clearly. I cant wait to get it to the range. Drop
Waskawood1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waskawood1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 09:34
Carbuyer,

I am very interested in how you like your new Pentax. I have started shooting and reloading after a 35 year sabatical and am interested in how the Pentax works at the range. Thanks for any help.
Waska
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12ptdroptine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 15:33
I took My Leupold to the range recently..It was great.. But I sure do need a better tripod... I was able to see .50cal hole's easily at 200 yds... Could read some of the writing on the target's..Clear as a bell and no distortion.. And the place where I bought it let me have it at last year's price..$200 off...Cand beat this one. Drop
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic