OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

x60 Gold Ring or 60x Excusion?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x60 Gold Ring or 60x Excusion?
    Posted: November/30/2008 at 15:53
What can you tell me a bout these two scopes?

Is there a substantial difference that would justify spending a lot more for the Leupold?  Are both scopes designed for use with eyeglasses?

The scope would be used for spotting targets and for spotting game.

Thanks,
Smitty 

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2008 at 21:18
Both are of the same basic design. 

Both have incredibly long eye relief which is fabulous for eyeglass wearers.

Both are good scopes in their respective price classes.

The Leupold is definitely the better scope.  For example, it has far less edge distortion than the Bushnell.  It also seems to be a bit more ruggedly built and is protected by Leupold's absolutely legendary warranty. However, the Bushnell is at least as good, and really better, than anything else in its own price class and would serve you very, very well.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
bigmulie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 19:09
If you are looking for a spotting scope to use for hunting, then you have to buy the Leupold.  I have tried the cheaper scopes and they do not compare with the Leupold. You will have this one for the rest of your life. I speak from lifes trials!!!!
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 19:03
Originally posted by bigmulie bigmulie wrote:

If you are looking for a spotting scope to use for hunting, then you have to buy the Leupold.  I have tried the cheaper scopes and they do not compare with the Leupold. You will have this one for the rest of your life. I speak from lifes trials!!!!

This might be taking it a bit far. 

There are quite a few spotting scopes that retail for less than the Leupold FLP Golden Ring that will give excellent service as a hunting scope.

Just off the top of my head I can think of:
  • Bushnell Elite (60, 70, or 80mm models)
  • Bushnell Excursion (60 or 80mm models - both of which have the added benefit of being clones of the Leupold.)
  • Nikon Spotter XL II
  • Stokes Sandpiper
  • Vortex Nomad
  • Leupold Golden Ring Compacts
  • Minox 50W
  • Vortex Impact
  • Nikon ED 50
  • Pentax PF 65 II
  • Kowa 600 series

Don't get me wrong, I really like the 60mm Leupold.  But to say that it is the only choice or to suggest that nothing less expensive could ever be acceptable just isn't true.

tours732 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tours732 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2009 at 10:18
Lucznik,

Thanks.  Very well thought out post.
carbuyersfriend View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 22:37
Lucznik,,,Gonna jump in here and hoper it's ok. I have a Leupold 15x30x50 compact for hunting and am looking for a decent spotter for the range out to the 300 to 500 yard distances. What would you suggets as the most bang for the buck for this dedicated purpose.
Thanks
Mark
Have a great day ...unless you have something else planned
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 11:07
Originally posted by carbuyersfriend carbuyersfriend wrote:

Lucznik,,,Gonna jump in here and hoper it's ok. I have a Leupold 15x30x50 compact for hunting and am looking for a decent spotter for the range out to the 300 to 500 yard distances. What would you suggets as the most bang for the buck for this dedicated purpose.
Thanks
Mark

"Bang for the buck" is an elusive concept as everybody tends to be a little different about their expectations.

My personal spotting scope battery consists of two scopes. 

The first is the Bushnell Elite 20-60x80. I selected this scope because it is (IMO) the least expensive option that still offers top-quality level performance.  Eventually I will upgrade this to something like a Kowa 883, but that won't be for awhile.  The Elite is used for most general purpose uses, rifle range, astronomy, digiscoping, family camping, hunting/scouting from a vehicle, birding, etc.  I paid $654 for my Elite.

My second scope is the Leupold Golden Ring compact 15-30x50. Mine is their newer, brown-armored model. This scope is one of my very favorite optics.  It is used for backpacking, travelling, and any occasion when I want a scope, but where size and weight are at a premium. The Nikon ED50 is a slightly better scope (smaller, lighter, offers a variety of eyepiece choices, uses ED glass in the objective element, etc.) but, it is also a lot more expensive (~$700). I paid only $280 (NIB and not grey market) for my Leupold. 

I would actually think that either of these scopes would be capable of achieving your 300-500 yard range expectations, though I've not tested them with this specific purpose in mind.

Beyond telling you what my ultimate choices were, I would need some idea of your budget to give any more-concrete suggestions.

Edited by lucznik - January/23/2009 at 11:11
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 10:41

Lucznik,

Had some things come up and have been off the forum since your last note. My budget as always "is to spend no more than necessay and get the maximum optic" for my dollars. However I know that I keep what I buy pretty much for ever. I'll use the bigger scope very much like you do yours. I need to keep my expense under $1000. I really like my compact Leupold for toting aroud but it's just not enough for the range (with my eyes) out beyond 200-250 yards. I also wear glasses and use them when glassing. As always your input is appreciated by all of us.

Mark in Colorado 

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 11:43

...I need to keep my expense under $1000.

For up to $1000 and taking into consideration you already have a compact, I would suggest you look at:
  • Bushnell Elite 20-60x80 - as mentioned previously, this ultimately was my choice. 
  • Vortex Skyline ED 20-60x80 - This scope is very, very similar to the Elite.  It is somewhat heavier but it offers an ingenious point-and-shoot camera adapter that makes digiscoping quite a bit simpler.
  • Pentax PF-80 ED - Bigger and heavier than the Elite, but it offers an almost inexhaustible variety of eyepieces from which to choose

Models that, while not ideal because you already have a compact spotter, would still be worthy of consideration would include:
  • Leupold Golden Ring 12-48x60 FLP - Non ED version will come in under you budget.  The ED version would be just over it.  Eye relief on this scope is amazing - an big plus for the fact that you wear eyeglasses.
  • Pentax PF-65 ED II - Like the PF-80, you will never be able to examine all the different eyepieces that can be used with this scope.
  • Nikon Fieldscope III - No ED glass, but still a strong contender.  If you can stretch your budget to about $1200, you could get the ED glass model.
Finally, some other options that I would think might be worth examining, but that I have had no personal experience with would include:
  • Meopta Meostar S1 S(or A)75
  • Meopta Meostar TGA 75
  • Brunton Eterna 20-60x80
  • Minox MD 62 ED

Edited by lucznik - January/24/2009 at 11:44
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 19:50
Watching carefullyLooker
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
12ptdroptine View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12ptdroptine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 14:23
If I may be allowed to inquire also. I just joined a few minute's ago. I forgot a lesson learned in the past.. There are no bargain's in optic's. You get what you pay for. I have a pair of 8x32 Swarovski's that it took me awhile to take the plunge.. I have all Leupold scope's (but for 1 Nikon) and its a pretty good scope. But I just brought home a Leupold green ring 20X60X80 scope that I am not pleased with. Where I bought it cheerfully offered me an exchange or refund. I wish I had just bought the golden ring to begin with. I assumed the green ring would be good also. But I was wrong. So my next choice will be the 15x30x50 Leupold or the (12x40x60 probably). But I would like some opinion's about these to choice's. The scope will be mostly used at the range and If it turns out to be as nice as My swarovski's then It will see additional use as well. But I dont go out west or anything like that. I live in west central Illinois. So any advice ie appreciated. Thanks Drop
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 16:28
Lucznik...
I think I have found my spotter but i need a little help from you. There is a Pentax PF65Ed and 20-60 zoom eyepiece on Samplelist. I am a bit confused about exactly which ED scope it is in regards to the current SWFA site. It looks like the $848 dollar scope and the $318 dollar eyepiece, but the total on Samplelist is $990 dollars retail. This scope and eyepiece are fairly compact and not extremely heavy and with the ED glass should be great for scoping game, the range and lots of other uses.  Your input is appreciated.
Thanks
MNF
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 16:35

Drop,

No dissapointment with the quality in my Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50 other than I need more power for the range out past the 250 yard plus mark. If you shoot past these distances at the range based on my experences I would reccomend going to a 65 or 80 power scope. What is the primary use of your spotter?

12ptdroptine View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12ptdroptine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 18:01
Mostly for range work out to a max of 300 yds.Mostly 250ish. I have read that if going up to the 60 power area to expect to go way up on price to much better glass and a whole lot more dollar's than I can go. Drop
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 20:50

Drop,

My 15-30x50 as I've noted id great out to 200-250 and beyond it's really no use at the range. This is a heck of a buy !!! I hadn't noticed it earlier. I am a newbie to this site as you can see by my posts however I have owned 3 or 4  spotters in the past and feel this one from the samplelist.com would do you great !!

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 20:51

OOOppppppsssss

Here is my first attempt at cut and paste from samplelist !!!! Not to good but you get the point !!!
Mark

9679 Nikon 20-60x60 Fieldscope III 8336, Green finish, angled body, removable zoom eye piece, waterproof, retractable sun shade, stay on case included, like new condition, factory reconditioned. $1,075.00 $699.95

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 21:04

Drop...

I forgot completely...take their refund and buy from SWFA or the Samplelist. Best customer service I've had in the outdoor world of optics ....really. (Not a paid advertising statement)

Mark

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 12:08

Lucznik...
...There is a Pentax PF65Ed and 20-60 zoom eyepiece on Samplelist.  It looks like the $848 dollar scope and the $318 dollar eyepiece, but the total on Samplelist is $990 dollars retail.
You have correctly identified the two scopes.  The only corrections I would offer are: 
  • The $848 price includes the XF eyepiece.  Therefore you should not be adding in an additional $318.  If you wanted to buy the scope body only (or buy the body seperate and couple it with a different/higher-end eyepiece instead) it would cost you $579 + whatever eyepiece you chose. 
  • The $990 price tag is just the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP).  No one ever pays MSRP for optics and many companies (Bushnell is a prime example) grossly exaggerate these prices.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 12:16
Originally posted by 12ptdroptine 12ptdroptine wrote:

...There are no bargain's in optic's. You get what you pay for.
I suppose it depends a little on just how you define the term "bargains," but I think this is overstating things a bit. 

Certainly the mantra that "you get what you pay for" has a lot of value but, it's not an absolute Truth.  There are, in fact,  many bargains in optics.  You just have to know what to look for.

...So my next choice will be the 15x30x50 Leupold or the 12x40x60 probably. But I would like some opinion's about these to choice's.  
Both are very good spotters.  Obviously the 60mm FLP scope is a bit more suited to general purpose uses.  It will be brighter, offer better resolution, and (especially if you buy the HD version) offer somewhat better control over abberations (though the 50mm scope is no slouch in this respect.)  The smaller scope is going to be a lot nicer to carry around in your pack and will cost significantly less.  They are both a great deal better than Leupold's Green Ring offerings.

Edited by lucznik - January/26/2009 at 18:12
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 12:22

I have read that if going up to the 60 power area to expect to go way up on price to much better glass and a whole lot more dollar's than I can go.
Again, I think the generic premise here certainly has merit, but there are other factors at play as well.  Much of it t really depends on what scopes you are comparing.

For example, I have a Bushnell Elite 20-60x80 ED.  I often use it at 60x and have found that the major limiting factor is not the glass, but rather the atmospheric conditions - which affect all scopes, irrespective of their price tag.  I paid $654 for my Elite.   That is less than you would pay for the non-HD (let alone the HD version) 60mm Golden Ring which you mentioned in your previous post (though admittedly, that scope only reaches about 48x)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic