OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

what catagory is Zeiss?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what catagory is Zeiss?
    Posted: January/17/2005 at 00:10
I've been researching my next scope purchase, mostly by reading what you all have to say. I'm still deciding between Bushnell 4200 and Nikon Monarch. I just wanted to point out one confusing observation. Very often when these two scopes are compared, someone will add the Ziess Conquest into the picture as  "the best in the class" Unless I'm missing something, Zeiss may be a much better scope, but it isn't anywhere near the other two in price. The Zeiss 14X is way over $300 more then the 4200. To me thats not in the same catagory. 
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2005 at 01:25
Yeah, I have been noticing that too.  Sometimes you can get a good buy on a Zeiss Conquest from Sample List here for not much more than the others you mention.  The Bushnell 4200 is very hard to beat for the money and I think a better scope than the Nikon!

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2005 at 04:26

I have made the statement "In it's class", several times.

What I mean by that is this. You will have to spend over $1000 to get a scope BETTER than the Conquest. The Conquest is still a mid range priced scope.

A Diavari, S&B, Swaro PH, US Optics are considered "high end" by me.

While the Conquest may be more expensive than a 4200 or a Monarch, to me it should be. It's a lot better scope.

FWIW, I have seen 3-9 Conquest's sell for around $350.00 last year. That's stealing!!

The Conquest is the best buy, I would think right now...YMMV 

It's all relative I guess.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2005 at 09:11
You can watch ebay and pick up a 3-10x44 for around $450.  That is a great buy on a great scope.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2005 at 10:29

We stock every Conquest made and list them at the mandated minimum advertised price as required by all authorized Zeiss dealers.  I know Grubbs has great success buying from non authorized dealers but you need to watch out for counterfeit scopes, grey market scopes with no U.S. warranty and used or damaged scopes.  None of these things can happen with an authorized dealer.  Grubbs may not consider customer service as a value but we work very hard to educate our customers via this forum and our retail site, we answer hundreds of e-mails a week timely and professionally, allow you to trade things in via SampleList.com and we stock everything we advertise and ship the same day you order.

Although we do not police OPTICSTALK and delete blatant referrals to buy else where, it is not appreciated when you post just for the sake of referring our potential buyers else where.  Believe it or not this forum cost a lot of money to buy, operate, maintain and host.  We started it as a way to help educate our customers about optics because we found ourselves answering the same questions over and over on the phone and in e-mails.  We knew that brands we don't carry would get talked about as well as competitors and in spite of that we decided to keep it free and open.

All I ask for is a little respect....OK?

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2005 at 10:51

Chris,

My post wasn't trying to direct anyone into looking elsewhere to purchase a scope. I haven't ever purchased anything from SWFA, but I will in the future.

I was merely trying to make my case for a Conquest being a "mid ranged" scope.

You folks have a great rep among the shooting community, and I'm sure it's well deserved.

If I offended you or anyone else by my post, I sincerely apologize.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2005 at 10:55

No problem at all with you.  We were one of the ones selling them for $350 last year.  Last year the minimum advertised price on the 3-9x40 was $399. from authorized dealers.

Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2005 at 15:03
Chris, my 2 Conquests were with full USA Warranty, not gray market as you said.  You need to know what you're talking about before you make accusations.  Secondly, I don't have, and don't mean any disrespect to anyone...I just call it as I see it.  If I get a better deal somewhere else, why lie about it?  I've given you guys several chances (3) over the past 1 1/2 years with no luck.  
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2005 at 17:02
Originally posted by Chris Chris wrote:

I know Grubbs has great success buying from non authorized dealers but you ...... Grubbs may not consider customer service as a value..........

Although we do not police OPTICSTALK and delete blatant referrals to buy else where, it is not appreciated when you post just for the sake of referring our potential buyers else where...........

All I ask for is a little respect....OK?

I know what I am talking about, maybe you should re-read my post.  You are missing the whole point of this conversation.  I can only assume that you are one of our competitors based on your numerous and continuous post to buy else where.  I will regretfully have to insist that you discuss optics on your own website or one of the numerous sites you refer our customers to.  Your IP address and e-mail address have been banned from accessing  the server that houses OPTICSTALK.com and your user name has been made inactive.  I tried politely via several personal messages and post to get you to stop the blatant and disrespectful post with no success.

This site is owned and operated by SWFA for our customers and potential customers to learn about optics.  We have been extremely lenient, allowing many post and comments to go uncensored.  I feel that this open environment is respected and appreciated by our users.  Allowing you to continue to disrespect SWFA on its own forum is not only foolish its a bad business practice.

Au revoir, Hasta la vista, Wiedersehen, Arrivederci, Sayonara, Adiós and Good Bye,

Chris Farris

SWFA, Inc.

georgiabowhuntr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgiabowhuntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2005 at 17:23

Good for you, Chris.

Many of us out here truly appreciate what you do for us both through this site and also through your company.

I do not see how anyone could "try" to buy from you and fail?!?!

Anyway,

Keep up the good work!

Sako .308 Win View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sako .308 Win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2005 at 19:39
I say good riddance!!!! He was kinda of Smart @#@ anyway!!! I say SWFA does a great job and we do not need to ruin a great optics forum!!! Brian
Brewdaddy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2005 at 20:23

Chis, not in this thread but in another, I'm pretty sure I read that you all will attempt to match competitive prices from other authorized dealers. I would certain like to give you a chance, since my education did come from you site. When I'm ready to buy, how do I reach you?

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2005 at 09:26

Brewdaddy,

Just call (972) SCOPE-IT and ask for Chris.

carolinaflats View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolinaflats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2005 at 16:48

Here's my two cents.  I recently bid on and won a Zeiss Conquest on ebay.  I won the auction on Dec. 19. Sent the check the next day because the seller would only accept a check.  According to the seller the check was not received till after the new year which seemed hard for me to believe.  The check cleared through my bank on Jan 5. I contacted the seller to see if the scope had been shipped, he got back to me 2 days later to say he would ship it the following morning.  He didn't; it was 2 days later.  I got the scope Saturday the 15th, nearly a month after the auction. The only good part was that the scope was new as described and I saved about 50 bucks.  If the future SWFA will be getting my money. Ebay is good for buying some things but when it comes to expensive fragile items such as optics I urge everyone to trust the experts.  You might save a little money but you'll get the proper item in a timely fashion and have a group of experts like Chris and Brady to help you with questions and warranty issues. 

9x23w View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9x23w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2005 at 10:33

Having bought & sold a few items on Ebay my experience is that there are few bargains when it comes to NIB optics.  Many times you don't know who you are dealing with, and with the hidden reserve prices you can be bidding and wasting your time because the reserve price is higher than you want to spend.  Finally, if you look at the shipping costs they are usually considerably more than charged by legit retailers.  This is because the shipping costs are not refundable, so if you send the item back you are out that amount.  It also gives them additional profit.

For new stuff I don't even bother w/ auctions - buy from legit dealers like SWFA and you will sleep better at night.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2005 at 16:21

It's not smart to pay too much for anything, but what's too much?  I've bought several scopes (5 or 6 I guess) from SWFA in the last couple of years.  I bought a pair of Pentax Binocs, too.  I could have saved a few dollars by buying elsewhere, but to me, it's not worth it.  With SWFA, I put in my order one day, and the scope is at my house the next day.  I've never had a problem with anything I've ordered.  The last big name retailer I bought a scope from sent me one that had obviously had some repairs done on it.  It was supposed to be new.  They took it back, but...

Bottom line. SWFA is a high class organization.  I have recommended them to several others and they have been pleased, too.  If I have to pay a few more dollars for that, it's worth it.

Pibb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2005 at 21:03

hey chris,

how come you are not willing to come down in price with items on the sample list? I know the prices are fantastic on the list, however, I do think you are loosing some business by not being willing to bargain a little.

Edited by Pibb
Pibb
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2005 at 11:09

Hey Pibb,

How come you are not willing to pay the price on the samplelist?  We have a bad habit of putting our best foot forward and pricing samplelist items aggressively.  I don't believe in posting a fake price that has room for negotiation because it is not fair to those that don't negotiate.  Believe me when I tell you that we are not losing any business on the sample list, if anything products sell too fast in most cases.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic