OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Range Spotting Scope Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peashooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range Spotting Scope Help
    Posted: November/29/2008 at 08:47
  I have been reading a lot of post on this forum over the past few days.  I have a few questions I hope you can help me with.

I need a spotting scope for strictly range shooting out to about 300yards.  It does not have to be light, compact or pretty.  I would like to be able to find a decent scope for $200. 

I know many of you recommend the Stokes Sandpiper for $250.  Only problem is that I cannot find it for sale anywhere for less than $329.  At $329 I'm a little over budget, besides at that price I would lean towards the Bushnell Excursion (I think).

So, back to my original question, Any suggestions on a decent range scope for $200?? Or even $250?

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2008 at 16:28
Originally posted by peashooter peashooter wrote:

...many of you recommend the Stokes Sandpiper... 
Yes, yes we do.

Only problem is that I cannot find it for sale anywhere for less than $329. 
Look harder.  Right now it can be found for $199.

...at that price I would lean towards the Bushnell Excursion (I think).
Also a very good spotting scope, especially if you wear eyeglasses.

So, back to my original question, Any suggestions on a decent range scope for $200?? Or even $250?
You have the best two already on your list.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
peashooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peashooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2008 at 02:27
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Look harder.  Right now it can be found for $199.

GREAT!  Would you mind posting a link to this site that sells the Stokes for $199?

Thanks
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2008 at 21:20
We have a rule against posting links to the websites of competitors to SWFA on the forum - which is pretty fair as they do provide the forum as a service.
freonr22 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freonr22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2008 at 16:12
i am under the impression that swfa has a 110% price policy.... Chris is an awesome guy!
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2008 at 18:20
Originally posted by freonr22 freonr22 wrote:

i am under the impression that swfa has a 110% price policy....

I believe you are correct. 

However, SWFA does not carry the Sandpiper so; it would not be possible for them to match the price as they don't have the matching product.

SGT_Shooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGT_Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2008 at 15:42
LEU54534 Leupold 15-45x60 Green Ring Sequoia Spotter                                                                             Leupold 15-45x60 Green Ring Sequoia Spotter
  • Armored
  • Waterproof
  • Angled
SWFA: $289.95

I bought one of these as my carry and always have spotter and have been very pleased I know it is just a tad over your $250 but under $300. For under 300 yards this works quite well.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2008 at 19:18
Really?  You like the Sequoia?  I think you're the first and only person that I have seen ever post such an opinion.  Most reviews of Leupold's Green Ring spotting scopes are very poor indeed.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 09:28
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Really?  You like the Sequoia?  I think you're the first and only person that I have seen ever post such an opinion.  Most reviews of Leupold's Green Ring spotting scopes are very poor indeed.

Yeah. Don't get me started on them.
SGT_Shooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGT_Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 10:52
its not bad, I have seen much worse for more money.

its not a Zeiss or a Leica, nor is it a Leupold gold ring.

some of the ones listed here I have not had the pleasure of touching but for relatively short distance (less than 250 meters) mine works, and it lives under the back seat of the truck so its always handy.
peashooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peashooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2008 at 21:34
  I want to thank everyone for all your help.  I just received my Vortex Sandpiper.  I LIKE IT!

Now, If you don't mind could you recommend a good Tripod for under $150?

Thanks Again.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2008 at 10:43
$150 will buy you a very good tripod.
In that price range, you can find a Manfrotto. I always use Manfrotto because they are excellent value for money and they last two lifetimes, or can be easily repaired with handtools and a drill. My oldest is a set from the 1980s that i used for digging cars out of mud and roasting pigs, among other things.
Go for the model 3130 tipod head.
As far as the tripod legs go, if your scope is angled you could get by with a tripod that extends less, but if your scope is straight bodied and you are tall, make sure that the tripod extends to the height of your eyes. When selecting Manfrotto tripod legs, just look for max. height and for leg sections with fast locks or clamp locks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic