OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1.5 by 6 by 30 mm; Zeiss, Swar PH, Nikon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eezridr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.5 by 6 by 30 mm; Zeiss, Swar PH, Nikon
    Posted: January/16/2005 at 14:01
I am planning to purchase a 1.5 by 6 by 30 mm scope to mount to a 375 H&H. I build most of my rifles for rough hunting. This rifle is to be foer
coastal Alaska-harsh evironment!. There are few manudfacturers that make this scope (Zeiss V/VM, Swar PH, Nikon Monarch Gold). I like
the reticles in the second focal plane (Nikon-Monarch Gold) but prefer euro optics (typically).The way I see it Nikon offers 4.0" eye relief
across the power spectrum which is about 1/2" longer than the others.
My real question is durability? Which is sealed best? Which can withstand the most abuse from the rifle recoil and general handling.
I am not very famaliar with Nikon scopes-does the glass come close to the euro manufacturers?
eezridr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eezridr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2005 at 14:16
The 30 mmi in the prior posting is the tube; objective 42mm
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2005 at 18:17

Never used the Nikon Gold.

I have had real great luck with all the Nikon scopes and binos that I have owned though.

I had a Nikon Buckmaster on a .300 RUM that never moved POI.

Leupold makes great fixed power scopes. Great eye relief, tough.

IOR fixed is super tough as well. You get the Euro glass, 30mm tube, and RFP reticle.  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2005 at 01:47
Check out the Tasco Titan in 1.25-4.5 in a 30 mm tube, very tough scope, lot of bang for the buck.  Nothing like the other Tasco's, Titan's are built like a tank(the 30mm ones anyway).  Another good one is the Leupold 1.5-5 (1 inch tube).  Both of these scopes have a straight tube to the end; no big objective, easy to mount low with lots of ring spacing for eye relief.

I live in southeast Alaska and really appreciate the low power straight tube scopes when you have to "get close" or go in the alders after something very nasty!
Any of the ones you mentioned will cetainly work, thought I'd give to something else to think about!

ar15a292f View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ar15a292f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2005 at 09:04
Take a look at the Burris 1.5x6x40 Euro Diamond.  It has a 30mm scope tube.  Burris scopes are very rugged and hold zero very well.
SlingSwivel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlingSwivel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2005 at 22:43

I have a Gold 1.5x6 on my 45/70, and use heavy handloads with no problems to date (probably in the ~150 round range). I am pleased with the performance, but feel the brightness is slightly less than my Swaro A-Line and Zeiss Conquest. I do like the eye relief. I bought the Gold because I thought the extra adjustment range (30mm versus a 1" tube) would be useful on the less than magnum speedy 45/70. My only complaint so far has been one incident of external fogging - my fault of course. My second choice was the Bushnell 4200, which may be a potential for your region due to the Rain Guard coating which I hear works fairly well.

FWIW I'd buy another Gold given the same circumstances - but I'd sure like a shot at the upper end Swaro or Zeiss Approve

tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2005 at 00:32

I would choose between a Zeiss, Swarovski, and Schmidt & Bender.  They are all neck and neck optically and are all about the same size and weight.  They are all going to be better optically than anything else out there.  As far as toughness, I don't know but I would probably lean toward the Schmidt & Bender.  Give the first plane reticle a chance.  I used to hate them until I finally started using one and now I prefer it over a second plane reticle.

Warhawk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2005 at 01:00
Originally posted by gozarian gozarian wrote:

Check out the Tasco Titan in 1.25-4.5 in a 30 mm tube, very tough scope, lot of bang for the buck.  Nothing like the other Tasco's, Titan's are built like a tank(the 30mm ones anyway).  Another good one is the Leupold 1.5-5 (1 inch tube).  Both of these scopes have a straight tube to the end; no big objective, easy to mount low with lots of ring spacing for eye relief.

I live in southeast Alaska and really appreciate the low power straight tube scopes when you have to "get close" or go in the alders after something very nasty!
Any of the ones you mentioned will cetainly work, thought I'd give to something else to think about!

Have you used the Tasco Titans on any heavy recoiling rifles?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic