OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope weight vs rifle weight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope weight vs rifle weight
    Posted: November/27/2008 at 14:57
I know this question has been answered before but I couldn't find it. I'm shooting a Tikka T3 Hunter weighing about 6.5lbs. My concern is that the heavier the scope the more of a pounding it's taking. The whole Newton "body at rest tends to stay at rest" thing. How much does rifle weight matter and with good scopes should I even care? Thanks.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2008 at 15:38
Yes! Overall rifle weight with a scope does matter, especially with hiking, climbing and while the sling is on the shoulder. A 6.5 oz T3 with a 15 to 22 oz scope on there defeats the whole purpose of the good handling, lite weight rifle concept in the first place.

The heavier scope will not pound the rifle more, but the increased overall weight just might pound and take more of a toll on you instead.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2008 at 15:41
Would also think the recoil velocity will be higher in that light weight rifle and the heavier scope will have more G-force applied to it.

I'm a little short in the math dept but pretty sure there are guys here who can calculate this stuff.
God save the Empire!
Palehorse View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2008 at 22:23
Just the opposite.  More mass equals more inertia, therefore the whole rig's recoil velocity is less.  A lighter scope will be subjected to higher acceleration in recoil.
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2008 at 22:25
Why would you get a light, handy rifle, and then put a scope on it that's so big and heavy the rifle wants to flip upside down?

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2008 at 22:31
Mouth Taped Shut
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 07:42
Palehorse, my thoughts were that if it was mounted to a heavier rifle there would be less stress on the scope component of the total mass.
God save the Empire!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 08:41
You are correct, Dogger. All other things being equal, the heavier rifle will have less recoil. Therefor there will be less of a moment applied at the scope.
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 09:50
I have a Tikka T3 lite stainless, with a 15.9 oz. scope on it.  It has only turned upside down three or four times on me, but I fixed that problem by installing a gun vise on my deer stand, instead of learning how to shoot it upside down, which was just too much for me to master.  Sure cuts down on the perceived reciol too!  Wink

Mojo
MOJO
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 09:55
Laugh Above

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 10:49
Originally posted by jetwrnch jetwrnch wrote:

I know this question has been answered before but I couldn't find it. I'm shooting a Tikka T3 Hunter weighing about 6.5lbs. My concern is that the heavier the scope the more of a pounding it's taking. The whole Newton "body at rest tends to stay at rest" thing. How much does rifle weight matter and with good scopes should I even care? Thanks.
...................Based on my on last reply, I think I misread your question. I`ll try again.

The heavier the scope, which increases overall rifle weight, the less recoil you will have. Less weight comes more recoil. Either way, lighter or heavier, a good quality scope should be able to withstand a T3`s recoil even if shooting a 338 Win Mag.

If you don`t have a scope for the T3 and looking for one, match the scope to the caliber, to your average perceived target shooting and kill shot distances, terrain and so on.

There are many ways to work around & solve heavier recoil issues so that shooting is more tolerable and enjoyable. However, you don`t solve that issue by automatically putting
a heavier scope on a rifle.

Sessions at the bench and any shots fired when hunting will be trumped physically by extra overall rifle weight, especially when hiking and climbing for hours at a time here and there.

Your T3 weighs 6.5 lbs. If possible, I`d keep that rifle at no more than 7 1/2 to 7 3/4 lbs with scope, rings, sling and loaded. 

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 11:04
I don't know a lot on this subject, but it is my understanding that a heavier scope will take a heavier beating than a light scope.  Especially on a light rifle.  Hopefully Dale or Gunshow will see this and give us the low down.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 11:18
This is pretty straight forward mechanics. Moment(M) is equal to force times distance. As the O.P. noted this is derived from Newtons Second Law.
Since the Second Law states that F=ma, increasing mass, acceleration or both increases force. This will then increase M.
Since M=FD increasing the height(D) of the rings will also increase M.
The bottom line is that jetwrnch was correct in his assumption and Biggie is correct. He has nothing to worry about mounting any scope on his gun.

Edited by tahqua - November/28/2008 at 11:20
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 12:22
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

This is pretty straight forward mechanics. Moment(M) is equal to force times distance. As the O.P. noted this is derived from Newtons Second Law.
Since the Second Law states that F=ma, increasing mass, acceleration or both increases force. This will then increase M.
Since M=FD increasing the height(D) of the rings will also increase M.
The bottom line is that jetwrnch was correct in his assumption and Biggie is correct. He has nothing to worry about mounting any scope on his gun.

Thank you Doug, I was starting to get really confused, but held back saying anything. Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 14:13
....to avoid confusion, I sometimes don't even read the thread....I just jump in at the end and leave a comment that is uncontaminated by any bias or information.....Bucky
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 14:44
I'm with you Ed.  Some people are always trying to mess wit my mind wen taking 'bout  tuf subjeks like math and pyisiks.  Who is dat Newton guy anyhow?  Did he invent the cookie, Fig Newton?  Tank goodness for guys like Dale, Tahqua, and Koshkin, to straighten out guys like me.

Mojo
MOJO
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 15:05
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

I'm with you Ed.  Some people are always trying to mess wit my mind wen taking 'bout  tuf subjeks like math and pyisiks.  Who is dat Newton guy anyhow?  Did he invent the cookie, Fig Newton?  Tank goodness for guys like Dale, Tahqua, and Koshkin, to straighten out guys like me.

Mojo
.............Where`s Mr. ED the "Spelling Policeman?"..........Mojo gonna get a spelling twicket!!............ClownClownClownClownClownClown
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 15:09
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Mojo
.............Where`s Mr. ED the "Spelling Policeman?"..........Mojo gonna get a spelling twicket!!............ClownClownClownClownClownClown

Jus wat missspelling are you refering too dere, Squeezer?

Mojo
MOJO
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 15:13

Oh I just can`t imagine!............Don`t want to do Ed`s jobby!!

Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2008 at 15:23
You just keep warm out there in "Caullyfornya" with Arnold, while we freeze out behinds off in Wisconsin, big buddy, and remember to always shoot a 40 pound .50 cal instead of 10 pound one, no mattter what the scope is.

Mojo 
MOJO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic